The Student Room Group

Would you prefer dating someone smarter than you?

Poll

Would you prefer dating someone who's smarter than you?

So, this came up in a conversation I had with my friends and due to the varying responses given I was wondering what other people thought.

Q: Would you prefer dating someone who is smarter than you? Same level? Less smart?

And this won't be included in the poll, but out of curiosity... Would you prefer someone who's more street-smart or book-smart?

Reasons would also be appreciated :smile:

edit: Sorry about the typo in the poll, I was using copy and paste and wasn't really checking :colondollar: The middle choices are meant to say "as smart as me".
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by on-acid
So, this came up in a conversation I had with my friends and due to the varying responses given I was wondering what other people thought.

Q: Would you prefer dating someone who is smarter than you? Same level? Less smart?

And this won't be included in the poll, but out of curiosity... Would you prefer someone who's more street-smart or book-smart?

How do you define if someone is smart ? Degree and knowledge doesn't necessarily mean one is smart.

One another note, smartness(however you define) has nothing to do with relationship. If a girl is nice and caring and doesn't whine, I will be happy to be with her.
I voted someone who is as smart as me.
Wouldn't be able to cope with someone significantly less intelligent than me, or significantly more intelligent. Around the same level is perfect.
Reply 4
I would love to date a girl who is the same or more smarter than me. I think it's sexy.
I think relationships tend to be more successful when the couple are of similar intellect. If one partner is significantly more intelligent than the other then it can lead to frustration/ lack of respect on the part of the more intelligent person, and resentment or feelings on inadequacy on the part of the less intelligent person.
Reply 6
i wouldn't care about their intelligence, as long as they are not cocky and snobby if they are really intelligent
Reply 7
like Shamy
Reply 8
I'd date a woman that knows how to put what she knows into use rather than someone that is book smart and useless, being bright out weighs being smart. That said if she's downright stupid, I wouldn't say no although I wouldn't have kids with her, I need kids that have a chance in the brains department :lol:
Reply 9
Fit + Smarter then me = Perfect Trophy Girl
Already am!
I like how clever he is, although on rare occasion he is slightly condescending. But I tell him off when he is.
Would be hard to find someone much more so without sounding cocky, I don't really care IMO. I find that people who are very "smart" are often a little lacking in the social skills department anyway (not because of being smart, just how it is).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Depends how one defines intelligence. i don't care so much about book smarts, as to me that is not intelligence *(though if a person has book smarts it shows that she has ambition or values improvement). Even if a person has wisdom alone, this is good.

That said, somebody who has an eye for issues is good. rather her than somebody who only gives a **** about reality TV or some other *******s.
Reply 13
But pretending that I'm a famous Estonian guitarist and vocalist in an extremely successful rock band across the whole of the former USSR satellite states, resulting in me having so much money that I'm in discussion to buy Kaliningrad Oblast from the Russians, wouldn't work too well when I'm trying to deceive someone who isn't as dense as Quark degenerate matter.

That's the only trick I have in my arsenal..
Smarter than me cuz I'm a gold digger.
Original post by on-acid

I would have to say book smart :/ Sorry I just really need someone who wants to converse about norepinephrine and it's role in the body's physiology or someone to talk to who wants to know about quantum mechanics. I just want someone who has the determination to learn, I want someone who is knowledge hungry. ( Geez everything I just said sounds creepy) However, book smart without street smart isn't good...You do need a balance :/
Reply 16
Original post by zaback21
How do you define if someone is smart ? Degree and knowledge doesn't necessarily mean one is smart.

"Having quick-witted intelligence" seems to be an appropriate definition for someone who is 'smart' - whether this intelligence is in academics (book smarts) or in general life and survival (street smarts), it is still considered intelligence. I think a person's level of intelligence generally shows through their conversations and actions.
Reply 17
Original post by on-acid
"Having quick-witted intelligence" seems to be an appropriate definition for someone who is 'smart' - whether this intelligence is in academics (book smarts) or in general life and survival (street smarts), it is still considered intelligence. I think a person's level of intelligence generally shows through their conversations and actions.

I never gave it a thought cos the girls I usually date are compatible with me. So, thats where it ends. So, I don't know whether they are compatible cos they are less smart, similar or more.

But there's one thing I know. I usually like girls whose area of expertise is different from mine.
(edited 10 years ago)
I wouldn't mind at all. Although it would be irritating if they were condescending instead of using their intelligence to help me... My brain farts tend to last awhile.
Original post by on-acid

edit: Sorry about the typo in the poll, I was using copy and paste and wasn't really checking :colondollar: The middle choices are meant to say "as smart as me".

Definitely smarter than me. :love: I could never fall in love/fancy a guy who wasn't smart and intelligent. :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending