The Student Room Group

Very disappointing AS Results, college aren't letting me re-sit.

Basically, I got my AS results today and was disappointed with the majority.
Extended Project - B (pleased with this)
English Literature - C (Full marks in coursework, E in the exam? teacher getting my script back)
Religious Studies - D (B in one exam, E in the other).
Biology - E (A in coursework, D and U in exams).
Chemistry - U (C in coursework, E and U in exams).

I was originally going to apply for Medicine until I got my GCSE results (7B's and 3A's) and then settled for Chemistry, my favourite subject. College won't let me continue onto A2 with Chemistry and Biology which is fair enough considering my AS results but they refuse to let me retake them at AS level as they don't think sciences are for me and insist I pick up an arts subject next year. I don't want to do this as my passion lies with sciences and I'm not too sure what to do.

The last thing I want to do is use this little anecdote for sympathy but I genuinely think it had an impact on my grades. I sat all of my GCSEs in a psychiatric hospital and after four months I was discharged, with four days until college started. I started college as normal with college knowing very little about my condition as that's how I preferred it. My attendance at college is very good with only missing odd afternoons for therapy but my condition is always there, it never completely goes away. I've got a meeting next week with the director of students and the head of Chemistry to discuss what is going to happen.

I'm just not sure what to do. I could either
- Insist at the meeting that I'm going to resit AS.
- Email other local colleges and ask if they're taking late applicants.
- Give up and try and find another career path (Definitely don't want to do this).

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody? Please guys, I need your advice!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2

Have you considered taking a BTEC in Science? Combined with another arts subject you could still get into a respected university.
Reply 3
Talk to your head of chemistry. They really shouldn't stop you taking the AS again, because it's not their choice what subjects you take. However they may be advising you on how to maximise your potential. They may not feel that you retaking would cause you to have a better grade, or a grade that would be fitting for university applications in Chemistry. Although it's frustrating a lot of colleges know what they're talking about when it comes to choices and whats best, although then again, you know what it is you want to do.

I would say until you've spoken to the head of chemistry there isn't much you cna do, as he/she will explain what to do and why they're not letting you retake. If you are determined to retake and your college wont let you, definitely speak to other local colleges, there's not harm in doing so, just be realistic, you wont get into chemistry unless you can achieve Cs or Bs, but if you feel that you are capable of this just work hard and do it!

Don't give up if its the only thing you want to do, but do try and be realistic about your future, maybe look at some other science related alternatives?
Reply 4
Well, first of all I would look to see if there are any other good local colleges in the area. A lot of my friends got U's and C's and stuff, when they wanted A's but the college wouldn't let them retake it, so instead they all went to a different college in the area.

Chemistry is a very hard subject, with a lot of people failing it at my college. My friend failed her AS chemistry, however they let her retake the AS chemistry and let her continue to do her A2's as well in biology and stuff.

You won't be content if you don't do something chemistry related or science related so it would be silly to change your choice now. You could always think of things that are related to science subjects, such as perhaps ecology, marine biology perhaps, and other things like that which look very interesting!!

The final option would be to quit A levels and apply for a BTEC. Again, a lot of people in my year did not do great in their AS year. Like I can see from your results, your actual EXAM grades were not great, however your coursework and projects got very good grades. BTEC's focus more on coursework and projects than exams, so you may find BTEC's suit you more as a person! Doing a BTEC doesn't make you any less attractive to employers than people doing A levels, and you can still get into most universities! Hope I have helped :smile:
Reply 5
English Literature - C (Full marks in coursework, E in the exam? teacher getting my script back)

I was originally going to apply for Medicine until I got my GCSE results (7B's and 3A's) and then settled for Chemistry, my favourite subject. College won't let me continue onto A2 with Chemistry and Biology which is fair enough considering my AS results but they refuse to let me retake them at AS level as they don't think sciences are for me and insist I pick up an arts subject next year. I don't want to do this as my passion lies with sciences and I'm not too sure what to do.

The last thing I want to do is use this little anecdote for sympathy but I genuinely think it had an impact on my grades. I sat all of my GCSEs in a psychiatric hospital and after four months I was discharged, with four days until college started. I started college as normal with college knowing very little about my condition as that's how I preferred it. My attendance at college is very good with only missing odd afternoons for therapy but my condition is always there, it never completely goes away. I've got a meeting next week with the director of students and the head of Chemistry to discuss what is going to happen.

- Give up and try and find another career path (Definitely don't want to do this).

Well done for still doing well at your results. It's a lot of hard work and your situation is different from others and should be helped. I think personally you should insist on being able to resit all your exams. You should always follow what you feel passionate about and not let others put you down.

Retaking the whole year? Is that an option?

Have you a proper idea, where your problems came from? How you can improve? What help you can get? Just resitting without changing some things will probably not lead to the wished success. (I mean the grades are not good, on the other hand that gives you the possibility to rethink and get a fresh start.)
Reply 7
Don't let your results get you down, what I can say is that maybe you should move college start fresh and try BTEC you'll still get into uni, also just master your craft for two years and you'll never regret it! it's YOUR life
You always do two of your three options. Email some other colleges, and insist that you want to resit the AS year at your current college. It might be worth mentioning your condition, perhaps?
(edited 10 years ago)
Talk to the head of your college. Me and my friends just got out A level results yesterday and there were so many people that got D's and E's at AS, but they all managed to get A's/B's in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you really are passionate about it call them up and ask for a talk with the headteacher/principle and tell him or her the situation! Just make promises that you should keep to do better (Even ask for a trial! for example if i don't do well on these tests in the first few weeks then you can kick me out, this gives you the opportunity to prove them wrong) and you don't want your future to be altered by their choices as its your life at the end of the day! Don't let them tell you what to be as its your choice. Bring your parents in as well as they would defend you and you should come to an agreement. I hope this helped! :smile:

P.S.
Something like this happened to me but when i was going into AS Levels, they told me that i would be able to do it and i would gets Es and i got Bs, don't let anyone tell you what to do! it your life and you need to stand your ground with this :smile:

It seems harsh for the College to be dictating what subjects you take but they may also be giving you an external view of you and your abilities.

If you're passionate about Chemistry it seems a shame to be forced to give it up. What you need to consider, however, is what sort of grades do you think you will achieve at A2 given your AS results (A2 is conceptually harder than AS), and where will they take you.

If you want to study Chemistry at degree level some example requirements are Surrey BSc - ABB, Bangor - Minimum C in Chemistry, Greenwich - 300 UCAS points (BBB).

Also, looking at your exam grades, you seem to be much stronger with your coursework than your written papers. Perhaps you need to consider some support or advice about that.

Good luck!

Naveed.
maybe you should think about foundation course?
Thank you for all of your replies!

I have considered BTECs but my college only offers Applied Biology and I don't think many universities accept it.

I completely understand being realistic about what I can do and do well at is very important yet I always over or underestimate my abilities, I am yet to get it right :colone: Maybe the sciences really aren't for me because there's a clear difference between liking something and being good at it but I don't want to do something I don't enjoy whilst spending my time wondering if sciences would have worked the second time round.

I don't think resitting AS levels alongside A2s would be good at all with there being no January exams. It would be stressful for anybody but with mental health issues on top of that, I'd definitely crumble.

Asking for a trial is a genius idea, I'll mention that, thanks :smile:

I don't really know much about foundation courses so I'll definitely have a look into them, thanks.

I'l see what happens at the meeting next week and if they're still insisting that I can't then I'll definitely contact other colleges in the area.
Reply 14
Hello,

I received my AS Results and got an E in Biology, E in Chemistry and A in German.
I dont know if i should carry on to A2 and resit the 50% Chemistry Module and Biology or retake the year.

My college is not letting me retake the year with the same subjects again.
Original post by Anne_123
Hello,

I received my AS Results and got an E in Biology, E in Chemistry and A in German.
I dont know if i should carry on to A2 and resit the 50% Chemistry Module and Biology or retake the year.

My college is not letting me retake the year with the same subjects again.

If I were you I'd carry onto A2 and retake the 50% module. 50% is a large bit of your grade and has the potential to boost your grade a lot.
Reply 16

Let's be honest..
You aren't good at it.
If you got those grades in the exams then as much as you want to be good at it then you are not.

Maybe continue RE and English Lit and then take on an A-Level in one year.

You may not have to change your career path but realistically getting an U doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.
Retaking a year could get those all up by two grades but then you'll be faced with A2 and if you are getting a U at AS then it is in your best interest that you don't do Chemistry.

With Biology again, your coursework always seems to be your best points but you are not performing well in the exams, you should consider all your options and what you honestly think you can do.
You should probably take a new start to A level, so maybe resitting the whole year could be a possible option??

If you do, it would be best to transfer to another college/ sixth form which appeals to you most.

All the best!! :smile:

EDIT: Don't decide to do BTEC just because you feel like giving up on exams. It's best to learn from your mistakes and continue doing A levels. Exams may be painful, but you're not alone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by doctordee
Let's be honest..
You aren't good at it.
If you got those grades in the exams then as much as you want to be good at it then you are not.

Maybe continue RE and English Lit and then take on an A-Level in one year.

You may not have to change your career path but realistically getting an U doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.
Retaking a year could get those all up by two grades but then you'll be faced with A2 and if you are getting a U at AS then it is in your best interest that you don't do Chemistry.

With Biology again, your coursework always seems to be your best points but you are not performing well in the exams, you should consider all your options and what you honestly think you can do.

Yeah, that's what I should do and I just need to accept it I think. Thanks :smile:
Wasn't me who negged you btw.

Original post by Infinity_4652
You should probably take a new start to A level, so maybe resitting the whole year could be a possible option??

If you do, it would be best to transfer to another college/ sixth form which appeals to you most.

All the best!! :smile:

Thanks for the advice, probably the truth tbh!

Thanks for the advice, probably the truth tbh!

No problem! :smile:
If you have any more questions, feel free to fire away!

Quick Reply

Latest