The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
Tsk you call yourself a Doctor Who fan? :wink:

The Doctor's first Scottish companion, Jamie used to use it as a battle cry :tongue:

I'm a new who fan, doesn't make me any less of a fan :nah:

Still it is actually rules that foreign language requires translation on TSR, so please translate before I have to warn you.
Original post by JorMcKay95
Not to go offtopic but it's so unfair that the moff still hasn't released the 50th anniversary trailer, hardly any marketing goods, or TV hype. He should be doing more for the show...

It is unfair :frown:
Original post by JorMcKay95
Not to go offtopic but it's so unfair that the moff still hasn't released the 50th anniversary trailer, hardly any marketing goods, or TV hype. He should be doing more for the show...

Agreed. I believe they showed it at comic con didn't they? So it's not as if they haven't made it yet or don't have any footage.
If they weren't intending to release it to the public any time soon they shouldn't have shown it at comic con in America, having such a delay is just frustrating.

Also I was wondering if anyone else feels its a bit unfair the way 12th Doctor was cast? I'm all for Capaldi but it sounds like they didn't even give anyone else a chance, which completely contradicts everything Moffat said a week or two before the announcement. He kept saying they had no idea who the Doctor would be and they were still auditioning, I thought it was probably BS at the time. Then what Moffat said recently about casting really annoyed me...
Asked if he’d had a short list, Moffat said: "Yes. The list went 'Peter Capaldi'. It was a very short list."
I do wonder if they actually auditioned anyone else for the part. Though I'm not sure what's worse: not giving any other actors a chance to audition for the role, or auditioning actors when there's no chance of any of them actually getting it.
Original post by montstar

I do wonder if they actually auditioned anyone else for the part. Though I'm not sure what's worse: not giving any other actors a chance to audition for the role, or auditioning actors when there's no chance of any of them actually getting it.

Most of me thinks "who cares, Capaldi will be great" :biggrin: And yay, no stunt casting :biggrin:

But I bet Moffat et all knew that Matt was leaving. I think his contract was up to the 50th, and they didn't have time to make another full series when he'd renewed and they wouldn't have him regenerate before the 50th, so they split S7 over two years.
Here's "my" Doctor Who, battling a "Who-Crusher" Dalek. 25-minute job, markers and mechanical pencils. I'm not a rabid fan, but I like some of the imagery!

Original post by TotoMimo
Here's "my" Doctor Who, battling a "Who-Crusher" Dalek. 25-minute job, markers and mechanical pencils. I'm not a rabid fan, but I like some of the imagery!

Dude, that's amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Wow! :eek: You're a great artist!

Wooooooooooooooow :cool:
Original post by Skip_Snip
"Creag an tuire" :wink:

So I don't get a warning from any badass staff members for using non-English, that's a battlecry from a Scottish companion from the olden days of Doctor Who, Jamie :biggrin:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Meaning? (foreign language requires translation on tsr!)

I believe it means Boar's Rock. :yep:

Personally I hope it's something very sweary in scots gaelic to avoid the watershed problem.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I believe it means Boar's Rock. :yep:

Personally I hope it's something very sweary in scots gaelic to avoid the watershed problem.

The actor of Jamie joked it means "gin and tonic" :tongue:
Thanks for the lovely compliments on my wee doodle! Loads on another site just said it "rapes the series" "makes no sense" and "totally ruins what the daleks are", so I doubt ill be doodling off-the-cuff Dr Who stuff again! Rabid fanboy attacks much!!
Thanks for the lovely compliments on my wee doodle! Loads on another site just said it "rapes the series" "makes no sense" and "totally ruins what the daleks are", so I doubt ill be doodling off-the-cuff Dr Who stuff again! Rabid fanboy attacks much!!

Well it's obviously not meant to be directly from the series, so I don't see what the harm is in reimagining things! I think it looks great personally :smile:
Original post by Feefifofum
Well it's obviously not meant to be directly from the series, so I don't see what the harm is in reimagining things! I think it looks great personally :smile:

This was personally my logic; I just like taking the ethos and applying it elsewhere.

For example I get ripped apart for some of my Cartoon Network stuff, or my take on Zelda's Great Fairy;

Practically all of my stuff on my doodlepad gets slated (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2084979) but I personally just do it because I enjoy the worlds and the stimulus within them.

I was going to draw a Cyberman battle but I ended up not bothering because of the influx of hate!
(edited 10 years ago)
This was personally my logic; I just like taking the ethos and applying it elsewhere.

For example I get ripped apart for some of my Cartoon Network stuff, or my take on Zelda's Great Fairy;

Practically all of my stuff on my doodlepad gets slated (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2084979) but I personally just do it because I enjoy the worlds and the stimulus within them.

I was going to draw a Cyberman battle but I ended up not bothering because of the influx of hate!

Man, your works are amazing! Really!
That artwork is absolutely brill :yep:

Just in case anyone is interested, Watch is starting to show season 6 of Doctor Who as of tonight at 8:00pm :godancing: I completely missed this season so i'm pretty stoked to finally catch up with it.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
That artwork is absolutely brill :yep:

Just in case anyone is interested, Watch is starting to show season 6 of Doctor Who as of tonight at 8:00pm :godancing: I completely missed this season so i'm pretty stoked to finally catch up with it.

Also, BBC3 is showing season 7 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a shame, I'd love to see more Doctor Who sketches, for instance your take on the 10 and 11th Doctor, Companions etc. I just looked through all of your doodlepad, again I have to say your art's awesome! Was the hate from here or another site? Anyway it's annoying that people don't appreciate it, art is all about self expression and lets us see things through the artists eyes.

P.S. I see you're working for Ubisoft, Watch_dogs is probably the game I've been most looking forward to this year! :biggrin:
Original post by montstar
That's a shame, I'd love to see more Doctor Who sketches, for instance your take on the 10 and 11th Doctor, Companions etc. I just looked through all of your doodlepad, again I have to say your art's awesome! Was the hate from here or another site? Anyway it's annoying that people don't appreciate it, art is all about self expression and lets us see things through the artists eyes.

P.S. I see you're working for Ubisoft, Watch_dogs is probably the game I've been most looking forward to this year! :biggrin:

Ha, nice!! Yeah, the subteam I'm a part of is actually working on The Crew, though our office is handling Watch Dogs too.

Oh, and PS - here's another lightning-quick 20-minute pen sketch to rile up the Whovian purists again.... a battle-damaged Cyberman done in my style.

Ha, nice!! Yeah, the subteam I'm a part of is actually working on The Crew, though our office is handling Watch Dogs too.

Oh, and PS - here's another lightning-quick 20-minute pen sketch to rile up the Whovian purists again.... a battle-damaged Cyberman done in my style.

Epic! How on earth do you do them so quickly?
^ That is pretty much the coolest thing in the world.

Original post by shadowdweller
Also, BBC3 is showing season 7 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep: Been watching it since Dinosaurs On a Spaceship. I've actually been surprised by how good it is seeing how Moffat is considered to be the nerd equivalent of the Anti-Christ who is ruining the whole show. If Smith prances around the Tardis one more time though i'll have to throw my shoe at the TV.

Gyah, got really excited then as I saw news stories saying Doctor Who Confidential would be returning but it turns out they just thought that the reveal show would be one :cry:

Quick Reply