The Student Room Group

advice from as/a level students please?

Hello,

I'm waiting for my GCSE results on the 22nd, and i'm going to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and a fourth subject, but i don't know what to do?? i want to do something easier than the subjects i'm taking, so it's not too much.. any advice? i was thinking of doing psychology or I.T but im not sure.

help would be nice,
thank you:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 1
Depends on what you want to do at uni. Further maths would be helpful for most science related courses. Law would require some kinda essay subject like history to stand a better chance. Generally, the fourth AS for that set is further maths or economics.
Reply 2
Original post by Tuya
Depends on what you want to do at uni. Further maths would be helpful for most science related courses. Law would require some kinda essay subject like history to stand a better chance. Generally, the fourth AS for that set is further maths or economics.

so sorry i forgot to mention, id like a career in medicine or dentistry:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by h3lpme.
so sorry i forgot to mention, id like a career in medicine or dentistry:smile:

4th AS isnt as major. You fit the relevant subject requirements so you have free will almost.

Psychology is cool and straight forward, but IT is horrible i would not recommend it due to the exam being so specific on certain phrases being used to get the mark!

Other subjects like Philosophy, History, Religious Study, English, Physics, Sociology, Art and DT i've seen being taken without too many issues.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
4th AS isnt as major. You fit the relevant subject requirements so you have free will almost.

Psychology is cool and straight forward, but IT is horrible i would not recommend it due to the exam being so specific on certain phrases being used to get the mark!

Other subjects like Philosophy, History, Religious Study, English, Physics, Sociology, Art and DT i've seen being taken without too many issues.

exactly so i want to choose something easy:smile:, and should i do psychology then? which would you recommend?
Reply 5
Original post by h3lpme.
exactly so i want to choose something easy:smile:, and should i do psychology then? which would you recommend?

Psychology rather than ICT i would say.
Its a subject where you mainly memorise studies/essay plans which basically gives you all the knowledge for the short questions you will be given. Its a fairly good a level, but if make sure you work on exam technique as its where most people fall on :P
E.g. In the unit 2 paper this year, you needed 49/72 for an A. So good technique ensures a worthy mark.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
Psychology rather than ICT i would say.
Its a subject where you mainly memorise studies/essay plans which basically gives you all the knowledge for the short questions you will be given. Its a fairly good a level, but if make sure you work on exam technique as its where most people fall on :P
E.g. In the unit 2 paper this year, you needed 49/72 for an A. So good technique ensures a worthy mark.

okay thank youu so much! would you say psychology is the easiest?
Reply 7
I've heard business studies is pretty easy.
Reply 8
Original post by h3lpme.
okay thank youu so much! would you say psychology is the easiest?

Yes there is less 'uncertainty' from the questions and more prescriptive in a way as there's a set of essays they can ask which never changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
Yes there is less 'uncertainty' from the questions and more prescriptive in a way as there's a set of essays they can ask which never changes

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think id enjoy both subjects because i.t is like softwares and im good with that and psychology is just something i like but, if youd say psychology is easier and doesnt need as much time to revise for then thank you!:smile:
Original post by mddub39

Yes, it is easy.
But unfortunately, top unis look down on students who have done the exams for business studies.
Economics is a much more respected A level.

OP - If psychology interests you and you are certain you will love the subject content, go for it!
Reply 11
Original post by mddub39

is that a level or btec? cause i need 4 a levels
Reply 12
Original post by Infinity_4652
Yes, it is easy.
But unfortunately, top unis look down on students who have done the exams for business studies.
Economics is a much more respected A level.

OP - If psychology interests you and you are certain you will love the subject content, go for it!

thing is, im not really fussy about top unis, i mean id rather do 3 hard subjects and one easier, is economics easy?
Reply 13
Original post by h3lpme.
thing is, im not really fussy about top unis, i mean id rather do 3 hard subjects and one easier, is economics easy?

Economics is very challenging but also very respected...
Reply 14
I would recommend you don't take Psychology if you are looking for an 'easy' option because easy is one thing Psychology is not. Unless you have a perfect memory, Psychology requires a lot of work. I do ICT too and would probably say that is the easiest option. Although the exams are horrible, the coursework makes up the majority of the marks so if you are willing to work on making your coursework good then it is fairly easy to get a good grade.
Reply 15
I would completely agree with Leighash... Psychology A level won't be an easy option that won't take up much of your time. It's not so much the content being hard, but the amount of facts, information and studies you have to remember off the top of your head, and then being able to apply them. Have you done a language at GCSE? Depending on your level of ability a language might be an easier option as a fourth A level.
Original post by h3lpme.

I haven't done A level economics, so I'm not so sure.
You could maybe try posting a thread in the economics forum to ask the opinions of other students who are doing/have done it?
Reply 17
I did Chemistry, Biology and Maths and I added on French as my fourth because I'd really enjoyed it at GCSE! It meant that I found it easier because it was fun! So if you studied languages at all at GCSE, and enjoyed them, they would be a good option! Just to echo what '*Sierra*' said above :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by h3lpme.

I have finished my A levels, A2 Sociology, business and psychology and AS economics. No economics isn't easy, but saying that if the teacher is good and you have an interest for it go for it! I would say psychology as you havent got a written subject yet and there will be overlaps from biology which will help you. I changed to psychology after not getting on with Maths and have loved it and studying it at uni this year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest