The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
It simply disgusts me how examiners can be so careless. I swear if for every remark that went up, the applicant was refunded twice the price, there would hardly ever be the need for a remark.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 301
Remarks should be more like a bet between the board and the student. Loser pays up.
I got A (Archaeology) B (Communication & Culture) B (Psychology) D (Classical Civilisation) and I was really expecting an A or B in ClassCiv as it was my best subject and ironically I go and get an A in my worst subject.
Original post by nadzworldz
Aww luck on the bright side we are still living can you please answer my question and ill give u some advice aswell?:smile:

Yes, I am going to resit the year. I feel so much better, I was doing subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. Now I can start fresh and work harder!
Original post by turnip storm
University's do give you offers based on your AS's, but mainly only those you are carrying on with. Just remember that if you retake the year, it can make some universities reject you on the spot!
Also, like with my University which i just got into, they are usually lenient on one or two grades - so let's say that you achieve BBC at AS, you would probably get accepted onto a course of ABB or ABC :smile:

What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?
Reply 305
Original post by Worms
Helllloooo!

Nope sorry, I did modern Germany (forgotten time frame already) and early tudors (I have also forgotten the time frame for this module), although I do think I am doing that module or a similar Russian history module for A2 next year!

How did you find it?

Was Germany your source paper?
One word.

Gove.
Reply 307
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
One word.

Gove.

Oh, he's an odious fellar isn't he?
Original post by carpe diem 123
The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!

I think the grade boundaries for F322 must've been really high this year. I truly thought that was going to be my strongest result but I only just scraped an A, got 122/150. :s-smilie: I thought I'd done so much better in chemistry than in physics yet got 135/150 for physics even though I messed up the paper. Chemistry must've had comparatively harsh marking, either that or physics was very generous.
Also what the **** happened with the science practical marks this year? My teachers told me my marks would get me As for the coursework, yet for chemistry, physics and biology they came back as Bs. Damn it.:frown:
Reply 309
Original post by MeganRok
Some for having AEE or anyone with more than 1 fail :frown: Seriously so harsh

What type of school do you go too?

Does not sound right that they can pretend they are a good school by just kicking out people who don't do well, when it is probably partly down to poor teaching, to keep their statistics up.
You're not the only one!!! My life is over. I really don't know what to do, going to have a long hard think about things...
Chemistry had the harshest marking I have ever seen practically no one in my school passed it! :s-smilie:
I'm genuinely thinking of getting all my papers remarked except AS History! I did edexcel AS biology and my teacher gave me 60 UMS full marks for the course work and they marked it down to 45 UMS which is a B but I dot get why because I explicitly followed the mark scheme in the end I got a B for AS bio with 6 UMS off an A! aaaand I want to apply for Medicine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
One word.

Gove.

what did he do?
In English Literature I had a B, really gutted because I was expecting an A. My teacher said that the grade boundaries were raised.
Reply 314
Original post by freedomtocreate
In English Literature I had a B, really gutted because I was expecting an A. My teacher said that the grade boundaries were raised.

Feel for me...

I got a D. I got a D in the exam, when last year I would've got a high C/low B. My English teacher is also useless and didn't help our class with the C/W - so everyone got Ds in their C/W. I got the highest English grade in my class. And I go to one of the best state colleges in the SE of England.
Original post by G i l l
Feel for me...

I got a D. I got a D in the exam, when last year I would've got a high C/low B. My English teacher is also useless and didn't help our class with the C/W - so everyone got Ds in their C/W. I got the highest English grade in my class. And I go to one of the best state colleges in the SE of England.

That's not really fair, I mean the coursework plays a hefty part in the results. What are you going to do then resit or remark? I'm going back to college. I was in sixth form and the teachers there are spread way too thin. One time I didn't have an English lesson in three weeks, we were all panicking. Did you do English Lit or language? If you are doing English Lit tell me what books you were studying if your resitting and doing the same books as I did I could send you my notes.
Reply 316
They were marked so harshly. I got ADD and In one of the exams where I got a D, I just don't know where I went wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G i l l
Feel for me...

Ditto the offer to send notes if you share a book with me, I did enduring love and Gatsby and coursework was A Midsummer Nights Dream and The History Boys lemme know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Paradise Lost book 9, I did Paradise Lost book 1 for coursework so I have some notes if anyone wants them. Also I did King Lear and Oedipus Rex.
Original post by acer0951
I'm genuinely thinking of getting all my papers remarked except AS History! I did edexcel AS biology and my teacher gave me 60 UMS full marks for the course work and they marked it down to 45 UMS which is a B but I dot get why because I explicitly followed the mark scheme in the end I got a B for AS bio with 6 UMS off an A! aaaand I want to apply for Medicine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

This happened to me aswell. I'm gonna speak with my teachers in September - it makes no sense whatsoever - i'm really upset, i got a B in Biology just because of my coursework (which was supposedly A grade standard) and went down to a C...
AHHHH

Quick Reply

Latest