The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zed963
Won't the Bs affect your chances of getting into medicine?

possibly however after results day I will have 6A*s and 3As ..and Universities only see (include) the top 10 when scoring :smile: :wink:
Reply 4081
Original post by techno836
possibly however after results day I will have 6A*s and 3As ..and Universities only see (include) the top 10 when scoring :smile: :wink:

Oh, I never knew that, I thought you had to declare all your grades.
Original post by zed963
Oh, I never knew that, I thought you had to declare all your grades.

you do, but applying wisely I know that leeds and Sheffield aren't too focused on GCSE's and if they have to include them at all that's how they do it :smile: I won't apply to Oxbridge or anything down in London anyway :nope: don't like the place :s-smilie:
Reply 4083
you do, but applying wisely I know that leeds and Sheffield aren't too focused on GCSE's and if they have to include them at all that's how they do it :smile: I won't apply to Oxbridge or anything down in London anyway :nope: don't like the place :s-smilie:

Oh okay. I'm looking to apply to Manchester seen as it's close and I'm familiar with the place.
Original post by zed963
Oh okay. I'm looking to apply to Manchester seen as it's close and I'm familiar with the place.

Manchester is my 3rd/4th :yep:
Reply 4085
Manchester is my 3rd/4th :yep:

Looking forward to pay the loan?
Reply 4086
Original post by chieonakata
in my biology exam i had on of those moments where i was like ...."whaaat!?!"... When i saw the last question i was clueless, however after 2 minutes i figured out my answer and felt confident one of those brilliant eureka! Moments... However, to my dismay the lady in charge of the exam said please put your pencils down before i could write anything on the paper... Epic fail... :frown: i did higher tier and i'm hoping i at least got a b.

absolutely identical situation...which exam if u dont mind me asking?
Original post by zed963
Looking forward to pay the loan?

loan?

I don't believe money is too much of an issue but it might be :s-smilie: :frown:
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Any advice for me on results day ???!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont feel like you have to open your results in front of everybody or even at school. Also if you don't get what you want remember that you can get a remark of you weren't very far off a better grade and you might get up a grade. Good luck!
Reply 4089
loan?

I don't believe money is too much of an issue but it might be :s-smilie: :frown:

I would've agreed to that if the tuition fee was 3k per year.
Original post by zed963
I would've agreed to that if the tuition fee was 3k per year.

oh i'm not too bothered about student loan, don't have to pay anything until over 21k ..it takes a small amount out a month and it gets wiped after so many years ... it's not like i'm paying upfront :lol:

I thought you was on about accommodation in Manchester :lol:
Reply 4091
psychology isn't easy :nope: I'd recommend history/geography to show some variance if you don't want another hard science :smile:

thing is i did geography as a gcse and didn't like it at all:/ im not really sure, i can choose anything i want, i just want something that wont need as much determination as the other subjects, any other options/
Well Psychology is good in my opinion however I think something "tougher" might be better... I don't like saying one subject is easier than another: each to their own you know??? I'm sorry if I sound snobby for saying that, but I think Psychology is a more commonly picked a level and if your thinking of going into medicine you might want to pick Physics or Further Maths. This would make you a stand out candidate and the Universities would appreciate your the fact that your a levels are all connected to medical science in one way or another. However, I personally think you should pick something that would offer a more broad curriculum e.g. Religious Studies or English Literature both subjects offer critical thinking and analysis skills which are VITAL when you have to think on your feet which to the best of my knowledge is what goes on a lot of the time in Hospitals or whatever the medical facility is. Remember you want to enjoy your a levels and not be stressed out, I think subjects like Geography, History and RE would take the pressure off and they are very much traditional a level subjects. I suggest RE because you look into the ethical side e.g. transplants for example and the ethical implications etc. OR you could pick Geography, personally this subject is very broad you could become a medical anthropologist working for the United Nations or you could become one of the world's leading Climate Scientists. I did Geography at GCSE and I'm waiting for my results on the 22nd too so I really think Geography is the way to go. You explore human impact on the environment and you explore physical geography. Sorry for the long reply :frown: Good Luck!!! As long as you work hard you can do anything :biggrin: PS. I'm possibly picking the same subjects so I can go and do Neuroscience and become a Neuroscientist...What exactly in medicine do you want to do e.g. Dermatology, Cardiology etc. Sorry I just like chatting to like-minded people
Original post by h3lpme.
thing is i did geography as a gcse and didn't like it at all:/ im not really sure, i can choose anything i want, i just want something that wont need as much determination as the other subjects, any other options/

I didn't see you mention IT sorry but IT is a good idea :biggrin: it's different and it also keeps more doors open for a contingency plan :smile:
Reply 4094
I didn't see you mention IT sorry but IT is a good idea :biggrin: it's different and it also keeps more doors open for a contingency plan :smile:

The only subject I can go in the exam room with out revising for. Well, apart from physics that is.
Reply 4095
Original post by zed963
The only subject I can go in the exam room with out revising for. Well, apart from physics that is.

really? so i.t is easy?
Reply 4096
Original post by h3lpme.
really? so i.t is easy?

Not for everyone, for some it can be a nightmare.

I just found it easy because I was genuinely interested in IT from a very young age.
I mean, unless you know how to build a computer at the age of 12 it seems unlikely that you'll find IT a piece of cake but you never know.

I have to say that the coursework was a nightmare.

It required a lot of time. I also had to learn a lot of stuff in my spare time seen as the teacher didn't know much and referred to me for advice.

I learnt how to use Adobe flash and dreamweaver to create a website. But overall it is worth it.
Reply 4097

okay thank you:smile:
Original post by zed963

I have a friend who is a computer genius he does top coding in several languages and everything ... but he only got a C at GCSE computing :frown: (he hates exams )
Original post by h3lpme.
okay thank you:smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 4099
Does anyone know when the schools receive the results?

Latest