The Student Room Group

Car insurance for just the holidays?

I passed my driving test recently, and my mum is looking to get me insured on her car. But I'm starting university in a couple of months, so for most of the year I won't be anywhere near the car at all.

Rather than paying £2000 for four months a year, she'd rather just get me insured for the time I'm actually at home and will be using the car, even if the cost-per-month is higher.

That seems like something lots of parents of university students would want to do, so we expected it to be relatively easy. But after a couple of days of searching, the best we can find is 30 days of cover per year, which is woefully inadequate.

Is it a thing that exists? And if so, how can we get it, and why isn't it more common?
Reply 1
Original post by dendodge
I passed my driving test recently, and my mum is looking to get me insured on her car. But I'm starting university in a couple of months, so for most of the year I won't be anywhere near the car at all.

Rather than paying £2000 for four months a year, she'd rather just get me insured for the time I'm actually at home and will be using the car, even if the cost-per-month is higher.

That seems like something lots of parents of university students would want to do, so we expected it to be relatively easy. But after a couple of days of searching, the best we can find is 30 days of cover per year, which is woefully inadequate.

Is it a thing that exists? And if so, how can we get it, and why isn't it more common?

Its very hard especially as you just passed to be honest...............also check the rates as they can be far more expensive then paying for the year.
Reply 2
Short-term insurance for an inexperienced driver is probably going to cost over £100 a day (optimistically).

She could amend her policy to add you as second driver and then change it back again afterwards, but you'll be paying an admin fee for each change to the policy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Planto
Short-term insurance for an inexperienced driver is probably going to cost over £100 a day (optimistically).

She could amend her policy to add you as second driver and then change it back again afterwards, but you'll be paying an admin fee for each change to the policy.

The day I passed I got insured with aviva for short term insurance as a named driver for £80 for 30 days.. 17 year old guy.
Reply 4
Original post by Aay
The day I passed I got insured with aviva for short term insurance as a named driver for £80 for 30 days.. 17 year old guy.

Either that was a good while ago or you were very lucky.
Reply 5
Original post by Planto
Either that was a good while ago or you were very lucky.

2 weeks ago, im still within that month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending