University of Exeter
Exeter

Anyone else doing Maths at Exeter?

Just been accepted to do Maths at Exeter :biggrin:
Anyone else in the same position?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

Not quite a fresher, but I am a maths student going into his third year at Exeter.

If you have, or anyone else on the course has, any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Congrats on getting in ^_^
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I'm doing maths too :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by CharlieBea
I'm doing maths too :biggrin:

Yesssss :biggrin:
I thought it'd be nice to get to know some people before term starts, you looking forward to Exeter? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NW-CG
Hi!

Not quite a fresher, but I am a maths student going into his third year at Exeter.

If you have, or anyone else on the course has, any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Congrats on getting in ^_^

Thankyouuuuu :biggrin:
Just one question: will I have time for a job?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Petej1995
Yesssss :biggrin:
I thought it'd be nice to get to know some people before term starts, you looking forward to Exeter? :smile:

I can't wait! Was it your first choice? What a-levels did you do? :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CharlieBea
I can't wait! Was it your first choice? What a-levels did you do? :smile::smile::smile:

Yeah 1st choice :biggrin:
I did: Maths, Physics and Psych :smile:
What about you?
(also, do you have facebook/skype/anything where communication is easier than on TSR? :wink:)
I just have one piece of advice for all of you new Maths students at Exeter.

You're lectures all take place in the same building as Engineering, so you need to try and avoid getting too jealous of us. I know that we're doing a better degree and are just far better in general, but try and stay civil despite your envy!

*I did 2 years of a maths degree before switching to Engineering*

*Also, this is a joke, don't get too angry!*
Reply 8
Yeah 1st choice :biggrin:
I did: Maths, Physics and Psych :smile:
What about you?
(also, do you have facebook/skype/anything where communication is easier than on TSR? :wink:)

1st choice. Maths, further maths, physics. I will send you a private message with my name so you can add me on Facebook :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Meeeee! So excited to start :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Borat8
Meeeee! So excited to start :biggrin:

:biggrin: me tooo
can I add you on fb too? :smile:
Trying to meet as many people as i can
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Thankyouuuuu :biggrin:
Just one question: will I have time for a job?

Sorry, I didn't get a notification of a reply.

In terms of getting a job, it really depends on many things.

What kind of job do you want? If it's longer shifts in, say, Tesco, then possibly not... Especially if they're not very flexible on hours, during exams in particular.
A remedy for that is to get an on campus job, for example working in the Ram Pub. Obviously, they are incredibly flexible in regards to your schedule.

"Natural Ability". If you're naturally talented enough to absorb all the information from lectures in without a second thought, then I hate you :tongue: Then you should be more easily able to do short shifts in the evening/weekend... Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to juggle lectures, reconciling the notes from lectures, coursework (of which there is a lot during the first term), a social life, societies/clubs AND a job.
This is especially true of maths (and engineering) students, who have notably more contact hours per week than some other degrees.

Oh, yeah... I forgot! If anyone talked to some rambling idiot on a hill during the 2012 summer open day at the Uni, that was probably me :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
The same as NW-CG, I am also going into my third year of doing maths so feel free to fire any questions at me!
I got in lot maths at uni :biggrin:

But I haven't got a confirmation of accommodation... Is anyone else in this situation..? Cause I'm getting a bit worried now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ollyshakles

But I haven't got a confirmation of accommodation... Is anyone else in this situation..? Cause I'm getting a bit worried now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you were late in applying or got in as an insurance choice, then it might take a while longer.
But, I suggest contacting the accommodation office. I can't remember if they have a go-to E-Mail. If they do, send them one ASAP, otherwise, phone them up tomorrow morning, just to make sure you're still on the list.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend who is also studying at Exeter got her accommodation today although I am still yet to hear back! :smile: They don't do it all at once!
Original post by NW-CG
If you were late in applying or got in as an insurance choice, then it might take a while longer.
But, I suggest contacting the accommodation office. I can't remember if they have a go-to E-Mail. If they do, send them one ASAP, otherwise, phone them up tomorrow morning, just to make sure you're still on the list.

Exeter was my firm and I applied rather early (not 100% sure on the date) but my friend said it might take a while, if it doesn't come by Thursday, I think I'll ring up, thanks :smile:

So excited to start :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NW-CG
Sorry, I didn't get a notification of a reply.

In terms of getting a job, it really depends on many things.

What kind of job do you want? If it's longer shifts in, say, Tesco, then possibly not... Especially if they're not very flexible on hours, during exams in particular.
A remedy for that is to get an on campus job, for example working in the Ram Pub. Obviously, they are incredibly flexible in regards to your schedule.

"Natural Ability". If you're naturally talented enough to absorb all the information from lectures in without a second thought, then I hate you :tongue: Then you should be more easily able to do short shifts in the evening/weekend... Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to juggle lectures, reconciling the notes from lectures, coursework (of which there is a lot during the first term), a social life, societies/clubs AND a job.
This is especially true of maths (and engineering) students, who have notably more contact hours per week than some other degrees.

Oh, yeah... I forgot! If anyone talked to some rambling idiot on a hill during the 2012 summer open day at the Uni, that was probably me :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm currently at a bar job in a pub in my home town, I love working behind a bar and plan on doing this being when I start uni at Exeter, would it be best to get an on-campus job or a job in the city centre type area..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I'm currently at a bar job in a pub in my home town, I love working behind a bar and plan on doing this being when I start uni at Exeter, would it be best to get an on-campus job or a job in the city centre type area..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm probably not the best to ask on the specifics, as I've worked in neither (I do tutoring, personally).

But, I would say the on-campus pub (The Ram) looks like a great place to work; you're always bumping into friends and people you kinda sort of recognise from the course (and there will be many lol).

My suggestion is to look around during freshers' week (and going around to all the pubs is hardly unusual behaviour that week, anyway :tongue:), and see what type of place you'd like to work in most.
Though, like I said in my previous post, I would imagine shifts at The Ram can be tailored much more easily to your timetable.
Hello :smile:

I have just been accepted to study Maths at UOE.

i'm low on confidence for Maths, and i really want to know if there's anything i can do prior that would really help me and put me on a good head-start.

I also don't want to feel like the only one that can't do anything (is this normal/will i be fine/will i feel like this?)

thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending