The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Drewski
How is calling out any less alarming and surprising for a horse than a bell? The point is they get spooked by sudden movements, noises and, in some cases, trees. There's no right way to get past. Ring your bell when you're 50metres away and it's still a sudden noise to them.

I only encounter horses on the back roads round where I live where there's next to no traffic (there's a reason why myself and the horses are there - no cars) and all I do is slow right down to just above their pace and overtake as wide as possible.

They aren't so scared by people as a random high pitch ding, your obviously one of the sensible ones passing wide and slow!
Reply 41
Original post by Hopple
Then stay back or quit cycling.

Still havent answered my other question.
Reply 42
Original post by peter12345
Still havent answered my other question.

What, why you deliberately slowing down drivers to piss them off is a bad thing?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hopple
Then stay back or quit cycling.

Drivers only do this when they have to, you seem to be of the opinion that drivers everywhere are doing this just to wind cyclists up, I assure you they are not.
Reply 44
Original post by DaveSmith99
Drivers only do this when they have to, you seem to be of the opinion that drivers everywhere are doing this just to wind cyclists up, I assure you they are not.

Quoted the wrong person? :s-smilie: That post is me telling the suicidal OP how to stay alive.
Reply 45
Original post by Hopple
What, why you deliberately slowing down drivers to piss them off is a bad thing?

I wasn't slowing them down to piss them off. Read the post carefully.
Original post by Hopple
Quoted the wrong person? :s-smilie: That post is me telling the suicidal OP how to stay alive.

Yeah :colondollar:, meant to quote

I'm talking about fully slamming on your brakes. The car will always stop first in that scenario.
Reply 47
I wasn't slowing them down to piss them off. Read the post carefully.

You've chosen a too slow method of transport, and are taking it into an environment where everyone else has places to be and things to do. You're also suicidal and expect drivers to save you from your own stupidity,
Reply 48
I'm talking about fully slamming on your brakes. The car will always stop first in that scenario.

I take it you've not tried a decent set of hydraulic discs then?

Original post by Drewski
How is calling out any less alarming and surprising for a horse than a bell? The point is they get spooked by sudden movements, noises and, in some cases, trees. There's no right way to get past. Ring your bell when you're 50metres away and it's still a sudden noise to them.

I've come to the conclusion there's just no pleasing some horse riders. I got all kinds of abuse and hand waving when passing a rider who had pulled in to let me by at less than 10mph - the only reason I can think she got so upset was because the tractor/trailer I was driving was making a lot of noise, but that's what unladen trailers tend to do!
Reply 49
Original post by Hopple
You've chosen a too slow method of transport, and are taking it into an environment where everyone else has places to be and things to do. You're also suicidal and expect drivers to save you from your own stupidity,

This is the poorest argument that I have ever heard. Cyclists have every right to be on the road so deal with it.
I have a lot of respect for cyclists. I tried once and was terrified that I was going to be killed!
Reply 51
This is the poorest argument that I have ever heard. Cyclists have every right to be on the road so deal with it.

You said this before, and I pointed out that the same could be said for the issues you moaned about in the OP. Except, of course, that your stupidity and ignorance of safe stopping distances could get you as a cyclist killed whilst the worst a driver would likely face in an urban environment is a tow and repair bill.
Reply 52
Original post by Santorum
You don't pay road tax so stop complaining.

Nobody does. There's no such thing. Try again.
Reply 53

We do, but we also have to be aware that we are, generally, the slowest moving form of transport on those roads and the least well protected so therefore must act accordingly. If you fail to do you should have no right to complain - especially legally.
Reply 54
Wow, this thread is full of pointless bickering. What the UK really needs to do is implement a cycling infrastructure like the Netherlands did. Their cyclists don't share the road with motorists, which makes everyone safer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o No, that's not something that could happen over night, but it would be something worth investing in, I think, rather the alternative people are suggesting here, which seems to be "put up, or shut up".

Original post by Santorum
You don't pay road tax so stop complaining.

You might be interested to know that "road tax" hasn't existed since the 1937. You pay tax for emissions. http://ipayroadtax.com/
Reply 55
Original post by Drewski
We do, but we also have to be aware that we are, generally, the slowest moving form of transport on those roads and the least well protected so therefore must act accordingly. If you fail to do you should have no right to complain - especially legally.

Your post smells of "cyclists are slow and unprotected so must give into motorist bullies on the road". If I need to take the centre of the lane I need to take the centre of the lane. It's not my choice, it's whoever designed the road's fault. Motorists can just be more patient.
Reply 56
Your post smells of "cyclists are slow and unprotected so must give into motorist bullies on the road". If I need to take the centre of the lane I need to take the centre of the lane. It's not my choice, it's whoever designed the road's fault. Motorists can just be more patient.

You evidently chose to ignore the "we" part. I'm a cyclist. I cycle more miles than I drive atm, but I do so sensibly. I'm aware that I'm a vulnerable road user so cycle accordingly.

Motorists do need to be more patient and aware of the needs of cyclists. But cyclists also need to be aware of the needs of motorists. Respect and courtesy is a two-way street.
Reply 57
Original post by Drewski
You evidently chose to ignore the "we" part. I'm a cyclist. I cycle more miles than I drive atm, but I do so sensibly. I'm aware that I'm a vulnerable road user so cycle accordingly.

Motorists do need to be more patient and aware of the needs of cyclists. But cyclists also need to be aware of the needs of motorists. Respect and courtesy is a two-way street.

I have no idea what your point is. What part of sometimes I have to take the centre of a lane whether I would like to or not don't you understand. Therefore arguments that I must be considerate and let cars in front are invalid because sometimes I can't without compromising my safety.
Reply 58
I have no idea what your point is. What part of sometimes I have to take the centre of a lane whether I would like to or not don't you understand. Therefore arguments that I must be considerate and let cars in front are invalid because sometimes I can't without compromising my safety.

'My point' stems from the first post of yours I quoted which said:

Cyclists have every right to be on the road so deal with it.

..and my problem is specifically the last 4 words.

The best road users - regardless of what vehicle they're using - and the considerate road users who give everyone else the time and the space they need. With the statement I quoted of yours it sounds like you are anything but a considerate road user. And if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Stop taking a holier than thou attitude. Just because you're on a bike does not give you divine right to the road any more than being in a car does.
Reply 59
Original post by Drewski
'My point' stems from the first post of yours I quoted which said:

..and my problem is specifically the last 4 words.

The best road users - regardless of what vehicle they're using - and the considerate road users who give everyone else the time and the space they need. With the statement I quoted of yours it sounds like you are anything but a considerate road user. And if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Stop taking a holier than thou attitude. Just because you're on a bike does not give you divine right to the road any more than being in a car does.

That was in response to someone who said cyclists shouldn't be on the road because they are too slow. If someone makes an arrogant post they will get an arrogant response. Read the thread properly next time :smile:

Latest