The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6440
Thanks guys :smile:

Big :hugs: to Jazzy. I hope they start respecting you soon, it's not on to judge someone based on their age.

Toto I see where you're coming from, what you seem to be saying is once again I'm being a drama king :/
For the record I'm generally quite quiet in work (as in lurk in the shadows until someone comes to talk quiet!), but maybe psychologically yeah I'm trying to be perfect. I'll think about this.
So after being told off by Toto I have avoided this thread, but I had something of a breakthrough today :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 6442
Original post by Anonymous
So after being told off by Toto I have avoided this thread, but I had something of a breakthrough today :biggrin:

Spoiler

:biggrin:
and the best part is it gets easier everytime buddy :smile:
Reply 6443
Hi. I just made an account on this site because I feel like a need to get this off my chest to people that might have had similar experiences. I'm rambling but i hope some of you on here might be able to offer some insight

Spoiler

Reply 6444
hey guys!
just thought I'd ask for a bit of reassurance;

Spoiler

Original post by shaylux
hey guys!
just thought I'd ask for a bit of reassurance;

Spoiler

Can totally relate! I was on 3000+ while IP, and unexpectedly felt more tired than I did when I used to restrict. :s-smilie: My dietician said it's because all of the energy goes into healing the body from the harm the ED's done to it? Just shows it's really important for your health to keep it up:smile:
Original post by Riku
Thanks guys :smile:

Big :hugs: to Jazzy. I hope they start respecting you soon, it's not on to judge someone based on their age.

Toto I see where you're coming from, what you seem to be saying is once again I'm being a drama king :/
For the record I'm generally quite quiet in work (as in lurk in the shadows until someone comes to talk quiet!), but maybe psychologically yeah I'm trying to be perfect. I'll think about this.

Don't let those people in work get you down; to be honest if they're that quick to judge, I wouldn't want someone like that as a friend anyways! Keep being you and don't let your doubts hold you back; you're unique. Some people are reserved and some are extroverts; life would be boring if we all had the same traits!
Keep doing what you're doing. Stand your ground, refuse to change to please others and people will learn to respect you for who you are.
I totally understand about being thrown by going away on holiday! I'm going to London this weekend but seeing as it's only for 2 nights I think it'll be a great chance to set a little challenge to just for once treat myself to what I want. Am I going to put on three stone in 1 full day?
No. It's a manageable little start just for once to try to eat things because they're NICE and I WANT them, not because it stays within a strict calorie limit.
For one weekend, screw calories. Perhaps it'll prove that actually, my life isn't going to fall to pieces because I allowed myself pizza or chips or a nice meal at a restaurant with a good friend. This is about having a good time with a person who means a lot to me and who I won't be seeing again for a while. THAT'S where all my attention must be focused, not panicking over a menu.
Thanks to all those who've been posting lately, the brutal honesty has been a much-needed kick up the backside and some of the progress made in your recoveries has set a great example.
Reply 6448
Original post by porridgeandrhi
Can totally relate! I was on 3000+ while IP, and unexpectedly felt more tired than I did when I used to restrict. :s-smilie: My dietician said it's because all of the energy goes into healing the body from the harm the ED's done to it? Just shows it's really important for your health to keep it up:smile:

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better about all this! I suppose I can justify my napping :biggrin:

Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
I totally understand about being thrown by going away on holiday! I'm going to London this weekend but seeing as it's only for 2 nights I think it'll be a great chance to set a little challenge to just for once treat myself to what I want. Am I going to put on three stone in 1 full day?
No. It's a manageable little start just for once to try to eat things because they're NICE and I WANT them, not because it stays within a strict calorie limit.
For one weekend, screw calories. Perhaps it'll prove that actually, my life isn't going to fall to pieces because I allowed myself pizza or chips or a nice meal at a restaurant with a good friend. This is about having a good time with a person who means a lot to me and who I won't be seeing again for a while. THAT'S where all my attention must be focused, not panicking over a menu.
Thanks to all those who've been posting lately, the brutal honesty has been a much-needed kick up the backside and some of the progress made in your recoveries has set a great example.

You sound so brave! I'm going to London this weekend too, actually, but a little freaked out about it all. I'm pretty engrossed in a strict eating schedule at home atm following my low weigh in, any travelling does make me pretty anxious but I'm hoping I'll cope, after all London does have some of the best food places.
Reply 6449
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x

Exceptional progress and I am super-proud of you my love.

To the anon that said after I "told them off" they left the thread - why would you do this? That's feeding your ED even further. The truth is a singularity; there are no "versions" of the truth. So if the truth is not a pleasant one, I can't put bells and whistles onto it!

Sometimes, like Disenchanted mentioned; you NEED to be told the truth. For months and months my mum would pussyfoot about me and didn't want to force me to eat or do anything out of my comfort zone. And what did I do? I milked it. Wrapped myself up in cotton wool and had my anorexic bubble for longer. Then one day my dad snapped and told me to stop ****ing about and taking the mick out of my family, because he knew I was hiding stuff from them now, and I would never get better unless I faced it. And he was right.

If every time someone gives you a harsh truth you run away and hide, you'll never, EVER get better. So stick to it. Face it. And when problems arise, tell us. But don't run and hide. That's you feeding your broken mindset even more.
Hi guys

I am new tothis thread.I have been a part time lurker before
Reply 6451
Original post by Stormclouds
Hi guys

I am new tothis thread.I have been a part time lurker before

Well met, Stormclouds. Do you have a story to share with us? Even if not, glad to have you as part of the community.
Original post by TotoMimo
Exceptional progress and I am super-proud of you my love.

To the anon that said after I "told them off" they left the thread - why would you do this? That's feeding your ED even further. The truth is a singularity; there are no "versions" of the truth. So if the truth is not a pleasant one, I can't put bells and whistles onto it!

Sometimes, like Disenchanted mentioned; you NEED to be told the truth. For months and months my mum would pussyfoot about me and didn't want to force me to eat or do anything out of my comfort zone. And what did I do? I milked it. Wrapped myself up in cotton wool and had my anorexic bubble for longer. Then one day my dad snapped and told me to stop ****ing about and taking the mick out of my family, because he knew I was hiding stuff from them now, and I would never get better unless I faced it. And he was right.

If every time someone gives you a harsh truth you run away and hide, you'll never, EVER get better. So stick to it. Face it. And when problems arise, tell us. But don't run and hide. That's you feeding your broken mindset even more.

Sorry Toto - that was me - I'm mentally in a tough place right now, and I'm finding I see my ED a "safe place" I can hide from everything that's bothering me. To be told the harsh truth was difficult to face, so as you said, I ran away from it.
Reply 6453
Original post by snowyowl
Sorry Toto - that was me - I'm mentally in a tough place right now, and I'm finding I see my ED a "safe place" I can hide from everything that's bothering me. To be told the harsh truth was difficult to face, so as you said, I ran away from it.

But sweetpea I'm not picking on you, I'm just telling it as it is! I don't ever want to HURT you or any other suffering individual on here, but the quicker you learn your comfort zone is basically a constant slow death, a very, very slow, painful, sad and lonely world that will end up killing you - the better!

I was shocked to hear that eating disorders have by FAR the highest death rates of the mental disorders. Mortality issues are REALLY important with EDs. It's because people don't understand how serious things can get in such a short window. For example, a girl at aged 20 weighing 10 st can start a very restrictive eating disorder in January, and by April, if she's 8st through the disorder, she's not only just "lost 2st" but she has in fact caused her liver, kidneys, heart and pancreas especially, quite huge stress. This is why doctors say that after significant weight loss you should try to gain a small amount back, to counterbalance the effects, because recovery is very important.

If you brutally burnt your arm, you wouldn't continue to burn it, would you? You'd plunge it into cold water, or rub salve on, or SOMETHING, right? Well what you do in anorexia is to take a healthy arm, burn it, burn it some more, hear people saying to "stop burning, your arm is so burnt already!!" and curing it by turning a blind eye to their comments by burning your charred arm. It's the same situation. Taking harm and adding harm to cure it.

You can have a REAL LIFE you know, you just need to choose it over this dream world of pain and isolation.
Well met, Stormclouds. Do you have a story to share with us? Even if not, glad to have you as part of the community.

Thanks for wellcoming me.

I first developed an eating disorder when I was 13.I went in patient for a few months.I managed to complete my GCSE's ed free.

Unfortunately my eating disorder changed from anorexia to bulimia in sixth form.That sorta slowed down my plan to study medicine...:rolleyes:. The med schools i applied to decided to give be conditional offers based on weight.

But after a year doing a foundation course(didnt want to stay home doing nothing) I am almost on the right track:smile:

You can have a REAL LIFE you know, you just need to choose it over this dream world of pain and isolation.

I don't think this is a choice...though it may seem so in some cases. Definitely, a person with an eating disorder MUST want to get better in order to move on with his/her life, and this can be labeled as a ''choice'', but if we look a bit deeper we will see other, serious emotional problems laying there. just saying

EDIT: so one simply has to work on those issues as well as dealing with anorexia/bulimia
(edited 10 years ago)
But sweetpea I'm not picking on you, I'm just telling it as it is! I don't ever want to HURT you or any other suffering individual on here, but the quicker you learn your comfort zone is basically a constant slow death, a very, very slow, painful, sad and lonely world that will end up killing you - the better!

I was shocked to hear that eating disorders have by FAR the highest death rates of the mental disorders. Mortality issues are REALLY important with EDs. It's because people don't understand how serious things can get in such a short window. For example, a girl at aged 20 weighing 10 st can start a very restrictive eating disorder in January, and by April, if she's 8st through the disorder, she's not only just "lost 2st" but she has in fact caused her liver, kidneys, heart and pancreas especially, quite huge stress. This is why doctors say that after significant weight loss you should try to gain a small amount back, to counterbalance the effects, because recovery is very important.

If you brutally burnt your arm, you wouldn't continue to burn it, would you? You'd plunge it into cold water, or rub salve on, or SOMETHING, right? Well what you do in anorexia is to take a healthy arm, burn it, burn it some more, hear people saying to "stop burning, your arm is so burnt already!!" and curing it by turning a blind eye to their comments by burning your charred arm. It's the same situation. Taking harm and adding harm to cure it.

This is all so true :smile: but it's easier to run away from the truth than accept it. I think that was my problem. I just need to try harder :smile:

I'm going camping tomorrow until Thursday, and I'm a little bit worried about the prospect of having to eat out a lot, being with my boyfriend 24/7, where I can't control what I eat really (we have huge arguments if I don't want to eat something because of calories or if I try to skip a meal completely). We will be doing a lot of walking through countryside I expect, so I am saying to myself "at least I can burn it off", but... Any tips on how to just enjoy it and not worry so much? Is it okay to think to myself that I will be exercising enough for it to be alright, or is that still disordered thinking?
This is all so true :smile: but it's easier to run away from the truth than accept it. I think that was my problem. I just need to try harder :smile:

I'm going camping tomorrow until Thursday, and I'm a little bit worried about the prospect of having to eat out a lot, being with my boyfriend 24/7, where I can't control what I eat really (we have huge arguments if I don't want to eat something because of calories or if I try to skip a meal completely). We will be doing a lot of walking through countryside I expect, so I am saying to myself "at least I can burn it off", but... Any tips on how to just enjoy it and not worry so much? Is it okay to think to myself that I will be exercising enough for it to be alright, or is that still disordered thinking?

I would say that thinking about exercising off everything you eat is disordered thinking.
This is quite similar but perhaps you could remind yourself :Food is fuel,and you are simply supplying your body with what it needs for walking around

Eating disorders get in the way of life,and you deserve to have a good time with your boyfriend. I hope your camping trip goes well

I am sure you have spoken to your bf about how you feel ,but if you have not you could try.
Reply 6458

As Storm said, this is absolutely in the throes of disordered thinking. The very fact you are scrutinising and aware of it is disordered. You know something my aunts and sister mentioned to me that opened my eyes? "Even when I'm on a diet, I don't fret about what I eat, I just try to be a little bit more careful." Even when they're TRYING to lose weight, a "normal" person doesn't scrutinise to the level you are. So by this standard, you're clearly still VERY disordered in your thinking.

I really do hope that the time spent away with someone who cares about you can be turned into an opportunity to challenge this disordered thinking and give your body the break it deserves. Think of it as a challenge to yourself and a little target to achieve and though it may be difficult, it will be SUCH a big step in the right direction if you start learning to love your body and give yourself the break you deserve. Don't let the disorder weaken you; let the challenge strengthen you. Start re-learning what it means to eat because YOU want it, not your disordered thinking. That is not you. It is trying to harm you.
I am a long way off myself and did struggle today on my final day in London but the last two days I focused my attention on different positive experiences; enjoying a gig and drinking socially, trying Moroccan food in Camden (wonderful!), eating lunch when usually I drink coffee and ordering the same meal as my friend in the pub.
Yes the feelings were difficult but they didn't kill me. I have not come home looking like a baby elephant. I have thoroughly enjoyed a weekend with my best friend who I won't be seeing for a while. Yes there'll be ups and downs but it's all about taking those first steps.
I feel like I've just taken my first leap.
Enjoy yourself and remember: that critical voice is DESTRUCTIVE and you deserve to get better *hugs* x

Quick Reply

Latest