The Student Room Group

Biomedicine or Chemical&Molecular Biology ??? (Birkbeck)

Is this University any good?

Also which degree course would have better job prospects?
Are you able to find jobs after? Also are these courses BSc or BSc Hons?

How many people attend these courses??

Thanks if you can help
Reply 1
Are they both bad degrees? Can't find much online
Original post by SonnyKings
Is this University any good?

Also which degree course would have better job prospects?
Are you able to find jobs after? Also are these courses BSc or BSc Hons?

How many people attend these courses??

Thanks if you can help

Hey there! I am also going to start at Birkbeck this upcoming October and well, although it was not exactly my first choice when I applied through UCAS, after I went for a visit I swear I literally fell in love with the university. Of course I might be biased towards it, seeing I have an unconditional offer to read Law, but I think that people are generally put off because it is basically the lesser-known university out of all of those belonging to the federal University of London and it doesn't appear in many university rankings, with the exception of the THE and the Shanghai QS rankings where it does pretty great, but I think that it is because they have recently opened up to full-time Undergraduate students.

Furthermore, many students tend to feel rather put off by the fact that they focus mainly on evening study, which is simply great if you want to work part-time and study at the same time (although they recommend to only work 20 hours per week). Their Biomedicine and Chemical & Molecular Biology courses are very well-regarded, and according to both the 2001 and 2008 RAE's their research is excellent (rated 5 and 4 stars), and constantly within the top 10 for research. It also has research links with UCL, so I guess you can't go wrong there.

Sorry if it seems that I am getting paid by Birkbeck to say how wondrous it is, even though it is generally unknown by most of the students out there (and heads of Sixth Form) and many people are pretty biased towards it as they don't appear on your mainstream league tables.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HyperInSugar
Hey there! I am also going to start at Birkbeck this upcoming October and well, although it was not exactly my first choice when I applied through UCAS, after I went for a visit I swear I literally fell in love with the university. Of course I might be biased towards it, seeing I have an unconditional offer to read Law, but I think that people are generally put off because it is basically the lesser-known university out of all of those belonging to the federal University of London and it doesn't appear in many university rankings, with the exception of the THE and the Shanghai QS rankings where it does pretty great, but I think that it is because they have recently opened up to full-time Undergraduate students.

Furthermore, many students tend to feel rather put off by the fact that they focus mainly on evening study, which is simply great if you want to work part-time and study at the same time (although they recommend to only work 20 hours per week). Their Biomedicine and Chemical & Molecular Biology courses are very well-regarded, and according to both the 2001 and 2008 RAE's their research is excellent (rated 5 and 4 stars), and constantly within the top 10 for research. It also has research links with UCL, so I guess you can't go wrong there.

Sorry if it seems that I am getting paid by Birkbeck to say how wondrous it is, even though it is generally unknown by most of the students out there (and heads of Sixth Form) and many people are pretty biased towards it as they don't appear on your mainstream league tables.

Thank you very much for your reply.. I'm still not too sure about it. I'm a mature student so I can't really waste anymore years... Do you have any idea about the job prospects after doing this biomedicine or molecular biology degree? I spoke to one of the representatives of birkbeck and asked them and they replied with "well if you do a phd you can become a teacher" :confused: I don't really want to study phd or become a teacher.. Just want a decent job after the course and maybe masters. Also do you know if you are able to apply for masters at other unis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending