The Student Room Group

Applying through UCAS whilst being at University

Is it possible to apply to university for the same course or a different course whilst being at a university through UCAS?

What will happen if you do not say you're currently at a university?

Also, what happens if you indicate you will retake some alevel modules?
Reply 1
Original post by thelion0
Is it possible to apply to university for the same course or a different course whilst being at a university through UCAS?

What will happen if you do not say you're currently at a university?

Also, what happens if you indicate you will retake some alevel modules?

Yes

You will be committing fraud so tell all

The application process is the same - they consider your current situation and your pending results

If you really do not like the course you are about to start think about a gap year instead - good work experience could count for more than a year at another university
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Yes

You will be committing fraud so tell all

The application process is the same - they consider your current situation and your pending results

If you really do not like the course you are about to start think about a gap year instead - good work experience could count for more than a year at another university

If I do an A-Level and retake a couple modules whilst at university will i be considered or not because I'm already at a university
It is possible, although not usually advised. Some universities do not like to consider applicants at other universities. If you are going to retake some modules it is usual to retake via your school, as you will need new predicted grades, and possibly a new reference.

You should not lie about what you are doing, as if this comes out at a later stage, your offer could be withdrawn (up to and including once you are attending the university, so you would have to lie about how you spent your "gap year" for a full three years). You would also be asking your referee to lie for you, which they are unlikely to want to do.

It will be difficult to retake A levels alongside doing the first year of a university degree and achieve your potential in both of them. What if your exams clashed? Many university exams take place at a similar time of year to A level exams. It would be best to make a decision now as to whether you want to improve your grades and take a gap year, or commit to the place you already have.
Reply 4
If I do an A-Level and retake a couple modules whilst at university will i be considered or not because I'm already at a university

Yes, you will be considered

People move universities all the time

But I still think that a good gap year would be better
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It is possible, although not usually advised. Some universities do not like to consider applicants at other universities. If you are going to retake some modules it is usual to retake via your school, as you will need new predicted grades, and possibly a new reference.

You should not lie about what you are doing, as if this comes out at a later stage, your offer could be withdrawn (up to and including once you are attending the university, so you would have to lie about how you spent your "gap year" for a full three years). You would also be asking your referee to lie for you, which they are unlikely to want to do.

It will be difficult to retake A levels alongside doing the first year of a university degree and achieve your potential in both of them. What if your exams clashed? Many university exams take place at a similar time of year to A level exams. It would be best to make a decision now as to whether you want to improve your grades and take a gap year, or commit to the place you already have.

What if I do tell them and I retake a couple modules and if the uni's reject me I drop out after my first year and apply for 2015?
What if I do tell them and I retake a couple modules and if the uni's reject me I drop out after my first year and apply for 2015?

Have I understood correctly that you have no intention of staying at the university you are going to go to in September? Obviously it's your life, but why would you get into all that debt for no gain? You will lose a year of funding, which may have consequences if you need to retake a year or want to do a placement year.

If you are sure you want to follow your plan-

-Firstly, before applying, you need to ring the universities you are applying to, and explain your situation. Ask if they will consider you.
-You need to get someone to give you some new predicted grades and a new reference (preferably your old school).
- You probably need to explain why you are following this course of action in your PS.

You still haven't addressed what you will do if there is an exam clash. Next year, there are no January retakes- you can only retake in May/June. The vast majority of universities have their end of year exams around this period too. A clash could easily happen, especially if you are doing A level exams in a different city/town to your university.
Reply 7
Have I understood correctly that you have no intention of staying at the university you are going to go to in September? Obviously it's your life, but why would you get into all that debt for no gain? You will lose a year of funding, which may have consequences if you need to retake a year or want to do a placement year.

If you are sure you want to follow your plan-

-Firstly, before applying, you need to ring the universities you are applying to, and explain your situation. Ask if they will consider you.
-You need to get someone to give you some new predicted grades and a new reference (preferably your old school).
- You probably need to explain why you are following this course of action in your PS.

You still haven't addressed what you will do if there is an exam clash. Next year, there are no January retakes- you can only retake in May/June. The vast majority of universities have their end of year exams around this period too. A clash could easily happen, especially if you are doing A level exams in a different city/town to your university.

A-Levels I'll do at my old sixth form, I'll do phyiscs a-level which I'll self teach but I'll also need for my course. If I do start at another uni I ould want to be considered for year 1.
A-Levels I'll do at my old sixth form, I'll do phyiscs a-level which I'll self teach but I'll also need for my course. If I do start at another uni I ould want to be considered for year 1.

That's fine. Hopefully your sixth form can help you with references and predicted grades etc.

You seem set on this course of action, so you may as well carry on. I don't think you'll find it quite as easy as you seem to expect to, but I hope it all works out for you in the end.
Reply 9
That's fine. Hopefully your sixth form can help you with references and predicted grades etc.

You seem set on this course of action, so you may as well carry on. I don't think you'll find it quite as easy as you seem to expect to, but I hope it all works out for you in the end.

I don't want to stay at queen mary for over a year its **** for mechanical engineering

why will it be hard
I don't want to stay at queen mary for over a year its **** for mechanical engineering

Then why are you going at all?
Reply 11
Can you transfer universities after year 1 with the same coursE?
Reply 12
Then why are you going at all?

I am being forced
I am being forced

Parental pressure?
Reply 14
Parental pressure?

siblings but through my parents

I have to start the course, the minute i get offers from other uni's I'll drop out. I just want to know if I'm at uni can I start the same course somewhere else for year 1 entry 2014 even-though I'm at a uni. Surely finishing a year and starting somewhere else means they get more money and I'm very prepared?
siblings but through my parents

I have to start the course, the minute i get offers from other uni's I'll drop out. I just want to know if I'm at uni can I start the same course somewhere else for year 1 entry 2014 even-though I'm at a uni. Surely finishing a year and starting somewhere else means they get more money and I'm very prepared?

bummer - can you not make them understand
Reply 16
bummer - can you not make them understand

nope, but is it possible to do what I want? Would I get offers for year 1 entry for 2014?
nope, but is it possible to do what I want? Would I get offers for year 1 entry for 2014?

We have already said that it is possible, often done, but not ideal
Reply 18
We have already said that it is possible, often done, but not ideal

Thank you, I dont care it's ideal for me because I don't want to go to queen Mary , I'll be happy if I get somewhere else.
Reply 19
wait, what if you've completed your a levels and cant and are applying through uni? how are u meant to get the predicted grades from i cant get it from my old school ive moved like 100 miles away from it........

Quick Reply