The Student Room Group

Dilemma

I got my results back on thursday, and I'm now really confused at to what I want to drop. My results are as follows:

Chemistry: A (269/300)
Mathematics: A (282/300)
Further Mathematics: A (266/300)
Physics: B (234/300)

I'm disappointed with all my results to be honest. And I know some people won't understand why, but I have really high standards and I should have done better. I wanted close to 300 in maths, and much higher in chemistry, seen as I want to study chemistry at uni.

I really don't know whether to carry on with all 4 to A2, or to drop Physics or Further Maths. I don't really enjoy either, but I fear that FM at A2 will become really hard and I may not get an A overall. I don't know what to do? I want to apply to good unis, although I know that where I wanted to go (Imperial) is now out of the question, so what would be best for me? I know I'm going to need at least AAA at A2, and I honestly don't know whether I could get an A in FM or Physics.

As well as this, I'm not sure whether I should re-sit one of my Physics units. It is 240/300 for an A, so I'm not far off overall, however I don't know to what extent this would help my application, or whether it would be unnecessary. Any advice? I'm getting really depressed about all of this and I need to have decided by the middle of next week.
Drop further maths and retake the physics modules to get an A.
Reply 2
Disappointed with AAA. prepare for negs.
Reply 3
Original post by peter12345
Disappointed with AAA. prepare for negs.

I appreciate that, but different people have different ideas of what 'good' is.
Reply 4
Original post by chocolateorange111
Drop further maths and retake the physics modules to get an A.

What makes you say that?
Reply 5
Also, I really don't know what level of uni I should be looking at now. I presume Oxbridge, Imperial are out of my league now, which is annoying, but I don't know whether these grades are good enough for Durham/Bristol, or whether I ought to be aiming lower.
Reply 6
Bump.
Reply 7
Original post by CJG21
Also, I really don't know what level of uni I should be looking at now. I presume Oxbridge, Imperial are out of my league now, which is annoying, but I don't know whether these grades are good enough for Durham/Bristol, or whether I ought to be aiming lower.

Definitely good enough for Durham - my friend got worse AS results and still got into Durham with her good A2 one so if you should be fine! :smile:
not good enough for Durham/Bristol? pfft they're great grades, well done, defo stand a chance! can't you look at the courses and see which subjects are most favoured/compulsory and if it says neither then i would drop physics as you got the B in it and consider retaking a module for the sake of straight As. Equally email the unis and/or your school for advice.
Reply 9
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
not good enough for Durham/Bristol? pfft they're great grades, well done, defo stand a chance! can't you look at the courses and see which subjects are most favoured/compulsory and if it says neither then i would drop physics as you got the B in it and consider retaking a module for the sake of straight As. Equally email the unis and/or your school for advice.

I need to continue chemistry and maths, which I'm fine with, and I only need either FM or Physics. Is it sensible to carry on with 4? I know I didn't work very hard at all this year, so I am prepared to work harder next year.

Is it true that if you do 4 to A2 unis will offer AAAB instead of just AAB for example?

And I'm really worried that unis are going to see the B and just reject me.
Original post by CJG21
I need to continue chemistry and maths, which I'm fine with, and I only need either FM or Physics. Is it sensible to carry on with 4? I know I didn't work very hard at all this year, so I am prepared to work harder next year.

Is it true that if you do 4 to A2 unis will offer AAAB instead of just AAB for example?

And I'm really worried that unis are going to see the B and just reject me.

most unis give offers on 3 A levels so AAB for example, but i do know someone who applied to Imperial with A2s and he was given an offer on 4, i'd say just check with the universities you want to apply to. And remember that A2s are harder than AS so even though you may have not tried this year and come out of it with great results, that may not happen next year. So consider which of Physics and FM you enjoy most? if you put equal amount of time into both what would you do better in? and if you want the B to go more unnoticed dropping physics may help... hell, i got a C in my 4th AS and every uni i've spoken to are more concerned by my predicted grades for the ones i'm carrying on.
Original post by CJG21
What makes you say that?

Well if you drop the physics you'll be stuck with a B ... I got AAAB in my AS levels and dropped the B, even though I could have easily retaken for an A, I just couldn't be bothered. I then ended up with AABb which looks worse than AAAa which I would have got if I had dropped one of my A grade subjects (the one i got a B in) instead of the B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest