The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well, I thought that was quite nice actually! Preferred the essay questions for the verse, but the prose comp was quite lovely!
Oh, and for the two essay questions, I found the Paetus question much easier to write about (seven and a half pages, oops) but for Nero I just wrote thematically - selfish, buffoonish, out of touch, glory-seeking, but benevolent (though was this just to make him seem better) - and came to the conclusion that he was portrayed negatively.
Reply 282
Original post by LuxVeritatis
Oh, and for the two essay questions, I found the Paetus question much easier to write about (seven and a half pages, oops) but for Nero I just wrote thematically - selfish, buffoonish, out of touch, glory-seeking, but benevolent (though was this just to make him seem better) - and came to the conclusion that he was portrayed negatively.

Pretty much the same - showed that even though Tacitus mentions positive aspects of him, they all boil down to him being selfish, and doing the good deeds for his own reputation.
What did people write for the Sallust questions?
Reply 284
Am I the only one who found that bad? :frown: found the prose comp really difficult, it was so difficult to get style marks in! And found the Tacitus questions difficult as well. But WHO CARES WE'VE FINISHED!!! :ahee::awesome::beer:
Only little thing I was slightly unsure of was whether I used the gerund correctly in the prose comp - "when all hope of sailing was lost" I rendered as "omne navigandi spe mortua" - does this look okay to people?
why learn a language thats dead
Original post by FloydRix
why learn a language thats dead

It's the official language of the vatican... We'll be able to use their Latin cash machine :colone:
Reply 288
Only little thing I was slightly unsure of was whether I used the gerund correctly in the prose comp - "when all hope of sailing was lost" I rendered as "omne navigandi spe mortua" - does this look okay to people?

That looks good to me! I had a complete blank at that and put something like 'accipiens se non navigatum iri' hehe
Reply 289
Well, I thought that was quite nice actually! Preferred the essay questions for the verse, but the prose comp was quite lovely!

Mmm I thought it was ok but too many indirect commands! I wanted to show them that I could do other clauses and constructions too like result clause as well! :frown: and yeah your gerund looks right to me, i did the same thing but put "relicta" instead of "mortua".

Original post by tatters
Am I the only one who found that bad? :frown: found the prose comp really difficult, it was so difficult to get style marks in! And found the Tacitus questions difficult as well. But WHO CARES WE'VE FINISHED!!! :ahee::awesome::beer:

Agreed, I ended up resorting to conjunctions and the odd ablative absolute :/

Any ideas how to do the future of morior?? I had a complete blank, no idea :O ended up doing "I shall hand myself over to death" haha :P
I had no idea what the future of morior was either, so I just went for "necatus ero" :P
Reply 291
Oh yeah I put 'cedam', I seemed to remember it meaning die as well? as in fall to death? :biggrin: I hope so anyway
Got an A. 94 on Verse, 75 on Prose. I'm getting the Prose script back though - I thought I had smashed the exam, and even the guy in the year above who got into Oxford got a C in that paper.
Got an A. 94 on Verse, 75 on Prose. I'm getting the Prose script back though - I thought I had smashed the exam, and even the guy in the year above who got into Oxford got a C in that paper.

Similar mark on prose, although I didn't think I'd done particularly well. Also an A. Don't think I'm going to bother with a remark though! Well done. Were your other results alright?

Original post by SixteenHundred
Similar mark on prose, although I didn't think I'd done particularly well. Also an A. Don't think I'm going to bother with a remark though! Well done. Were your other results alright?

I got an A too. 86 on Verse, 79 on Prose. I thought I had absolutely nailed the prose paper, so who is getting all the high marks? The raw to ums conversion was really generous as well I thought, so I'm not sure about what happened to that paper really. Do either of you or anyone else on this thread know anyone who is getting either remarked? I haven't sent off for remark because I'd need a real miracle to go up a grade, but I was slightly surprised at the mark, so if anyone else gets a remark and it goes up, I'll probably send it off.
On the bright side, got 100 in the AS resit, so pleasantly surprised there!
Once I take a look at the paper that OCR sends me back, I'll decide whether to review or not - but everyone's prose grade was down at my school, and to get my 75 UMS I would have to have got 66 raw marks, which doesn't seem right based on how I felt it went.
Once I take a look at the paper that OCR sends me back, I'll decide whether to review or not - but everyone's prose grade was down at my school, and to get my 75 UMS I would have to have got 66 raw marks, which doesn't seem right based on how I felt it went.

emma2013

In the paper today it said that 0.7% got A*s this year, which is a very small proportion for Classics - usually it's much higher as it seems to be taken by a small number of often well-taught and pretty high-flying candidates as it is. Please keep me up to date with this!
According to OCR, ~24% got an A* in Latin - but it seems as if I'm not the only one who has had difficulties with the prose paper.
According to OCR, ~24% got an A* in Latin - but it seems as if I'm not the only one who has had difficulties with the prose paper.

24%?! I find this difficult to believe... Link please!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending