The Student Room Group

Buggered.. somewhat?

International student and first time poster here, got an AAA offer from Durham and an ABB (including general studies) from Essex to politics + philosophy or politics respectively. Results yesterday came up with A for politics, B for music and C for history but fortunately a B in general studies which gives me unconditional acceptance at Essex.

I would just like to ask if:
1: Is it worth pursuing the Durham dream (having met the English proficiency requirements and if anything done reasonably well for the subject directly related to the course etc.)?
2: Being a shy, soft-spoken and reclusive faggot that i am, would I ever fit in at Essex?

Cheers in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by phenomclyde
International student and first time poster here, got an AAA offer from Durham and an ABB (including general studies) from Essex to politics + philosophy or politics respectively. Results yesterday came up with A for politics, B for music and C for history but fortunately a B in general studies which gives me unconditional acceptance at Essex.

1: Is it worth pursuing the Durham dream (having met the English proficiency requirements and if anything done reasonably well for the subject directly related to the course etc.)?
2: Being a shy, soft-spoken and reclusive faggot that i am, would I ever fit in at Essex?

Cheers in advance

1. No, they will considered all of that

2. No idea but why not
Reply 2

Cheers in advance

not this year at least. if it says on track that durham has rejected you then thats this year. they may accept you next year if your retake some exams and reapply then you'd need to contact them. and at all universities there will be outgoing and reclusive students.
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
1. No, they will considered all of that

2. No idea but why not

May be due to delayed processing time but they haven't rejected me over UCAS, just sent in evidence of English proficiency and passport photo page but then again realistically ABC seems too much of a long shot in any case.
Reply 4
May be due to delayed processing time but they haven't rejected me over UCAS, just sent in evidence of English proficiency and passport photo page but then again realistically ABC seems too much of a long shot in any case.

If it is still conditional then you should certainly call them

Why haven't you phoned them yet!? You should have phoned them first thing after getting your A-level results.

You still have the ABB which means they won't be fined for taking you on as an extra student.
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
If it is still conditional then you should certainly call them

Yep probably will on the morrow. Might be wise to resign to the fact that it just won't work out, at least this year. Highly unlikely that I will resit certain history modules to drag my grades up too.
Reply 7
Original post by AccountingBabe
Why haven't you phoned them yet!? You should have phoned them first thing after getting your A-level results.

You still have the ABB which means they won't be fined for taking you on as an extra student.

Yea but any advice on what I should say on the phone?
Reply 8
if it was AAA offer and you got ABC it is unlikely they would accept you. I'm sure you'd fit in because while Essex might have a bit of a reputation, being at university will be a different matter cos there's people there from everywhere.

Honestly just show you are passionate about Durham and show that you are very eager to join this course. Sell yourself, tell them of any interesting or relevant experience you have. BEG! lol But I actually think you have a good chance, even if it's Durham.

You haven't lost your place until track tells you are rejected. They are obviously still considering you. I would ring asap.

Ow and I have looked, Politics in Durham is in clearing, this is a good sign that they still need more numbers to fill the course.
Reply 12
Original post by kate3
if it was AAA offer and you got ABC it is unlikely they would accept you. I'm sure you'd fit in because while Essex might have a bit of a reputation, being at university will be a different matter cos there's people there from everywhere.

Thought so. Do you think it's worth giving them a ring/waiting for an official rejection over UCAS before committing to Essex? Not sure about fitting in, I'm a bit of a social pariah..
Thought so. Do you think it's worth giving them a ring/waiting for an official rejection over UCAS before committing to Essex? Not sure about fitting in, I'm a bit of a social pariah..

:rolleyes:

Tbh, I think you sound rather charming. You had me at '...somewhat'
Reply 15
Original post by AccountingBabe
Ow and I have looked, Politics in Durham is in clearing, this is a good sign that they still need more numbers to fill the course.

There is also the slight advantage in that I'm paying more as an overseas applicant etc. I suppose. Didn't do myself many favours with my results though.
There is also the slight advantage in that I'm paying more as an overseas applicant etc. I suppose. Didn't do myself many favours with my results though.

Just ring them, seriously, they will smell the money.
Reply 17
Durham won't accept ABC though, and I'm not sure they accept General studies either.

Why was Durham your dream place? If you wanna go there so bad, you might be better off going through clearing to get into a slightly better university than Essex (i.e. Southampton, Queen Mary, etc), go for a foundation year and then switch uni's after the foundation year - but call and ask Durham first if they accept transfers from foundation years at that university into their first year for your course.
(edited 10 years ago)

If your worried about what to say to them, just explain that you're calling to check what their stance is on your situation and ask them if your are still being considered for a place.
Reply 19
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Tbh, I think you sound rather charming. You had me at '...somewhat'

That's highly unfortunate that you find me charming...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending