The Student Room Group

I don't know if I'll be able to go to university in this country, please help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToLiveInADream
Are you Somali? I totally think your parents are out of line...it's your life and you're soon to be 18, right? Do what you think is best for yourself. Start writing your PS. Good luck!

Yes I am, why is that relevant? Thanks, I think I might as well start writing my personal statement just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
How much are the grants though? They can't be enough to cover the full 9k, can they? Also can I call them up now or do I have to wait until September? And studying in another EU country is completely out of the question, the only place I can go is Africa because I have family there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow the restrictions.....

Unfortunately grants are mainly for living costs... but its a start to solving the problem as you never pay them back

I suggest possibly talking to your mosque Imam if available, and asking their advice. Im sure they understand that medicine requires top notch qualifications, which if you are in the UK is right on your door step. And may even talk to your parents about the Finance
Reply 42
Yes I am, why is that relevant? Thanks, I think I might as well start writing my personal statement just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just because I am too and I've also gotten the threats of moving to Africa. Well...they aren't really threats, my parents basically plan out my future after I get a degree here yada yada.
I have asked them about this, yeah and that's what they've said. Neither of them went to university themselves but they've said that if I find an interest-free loan of some sort then I have their blessing. I think they were banking on me picking one of the NHS funded subjects but I failed Chemistry, so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I've always been told you can but I suggest you attempt to ask other people too. Don't do a subject you don't want to, you'll regret it loads. My parents are still banking on me doing medicine even though I've never done a science alevel and I'm starting uni soon..
Still continue with the whole process and InshaAllah you'll be fine! Good luck. My advice isn't amazing but meh
It's just because I am too and I've also gotten the threats of moving to Africa. Well...they aren't really threats, my parents basically plan out my future after I get a degree here yada yada.

Loool my parent's keeping speaking about how I'm moving to africa after I finish uni and working there...
I haven't got the heart to tell them that I'm not.

Loooooooool it's a universal threat amongst Somalis, bless them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Okay this may be a bit long, but please bear with me...

I'm starting Year 13 in September, which is literally a few weeks away and that means UCAS applications. I was supposed to get my personal statement done over the summer which I haven't even looked at, and my school have enforced an internal deadline for the entire year's university applications - 15th October. But the problem is I don't even know if I'll be able to go to uni :frown:

You see my family are strict Muslims and interest is forbidden in Islam. This means I can't take out a student loan (and don't tell me education is more important blah blah because my parents couldn't give a sh*t about that)

This basically means I won't be able to go to university to study the course I want, which is English Literature. See I got my AS results yesterday and I got ABDE, the A is in English Lit - I even got 100% ums in the exam and am on course for an A* overall - the B is in History and the D and E are in Maths and Chemistry respectively.

I have been looking at NHS funded courses to see if I could maybe pick one of them, but seeing as I did so terribly on the only Science subject I picked, it's unlikely I'll be able to do any of them. My parents want me to go Africa (lol) to study Medicine because it's much cheaper and they can pay for me to go, and they don't ask for specific A-levels but I really don't want to go there at all

I really don't know what to do so I would appreciate any advice you have. I've put this off for so long but now I literally have weeks to make my decision and I have no idea what to do. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

A friend of mine at university is a muslim and he took out an interest free loan from a muslim organisation I don't know what the organisation is called and he left university to go to Dubai (I think) But the organisation exists and is specifically for people like yourself. Good luck in finding it and I hope you get into university.
(edited 10 years ago)
If your family are on a low income then you would qualify for some grants but the only place you could be sure of covering the full costs would be Oxford or Cambridge and your results are not good enough. If you went to university while living at home and worked part-time you might be able to cover your costs without a loan provided your parents would let you live at home free of charge but you'd need to be doing a lot of work.

Realistically I think you're looking at finding a job and if you want to going to university later. You could look at the open university. http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/
Original post by Arketec
A friend of mine at university is a muslim and he took out an interest free loan from a muslim organisation I don't know what the organisation is called and he left university to go to Dubai (I think) But the organisation exists and is specifically for people like yourself. Good luck in finding it and I hope you get into university.

Oh wow, do you have any idea at all what this Muslim organisation is called? If I could find it it could be the solution to all my problems
Oh wow, do you have any idea at all what this Muslim organisation is called? If I could find it it could be the solution to all my problems

Well, you could start here:
http://www.lloydstsb.com/current-accounts/islamic-account.asp
http://www.islamic-bank.com/
http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/loans/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51

I dont know I can't remember it might have been the islamic bank.
Reply 52
There are loads of Islamic banks that structure loans that meet Shira requirements. Also, the structure of repayment for Uni loans is unique as it is based on income and forgiven after a certain number of years. Have you actually checked with a muslim clergyman as to whether this could be seen as a tax on graduates, as it has sometimes been referred to.
Original post by Arketec
I dont know I can't remember it might have been the islamic bank.

I don't think Islamic Bank of Britain do these kinds of loans anymore, but thanks anyway
Original post by mynameisyu
Ahh I've always been told you can but I suggest you attempt to ask other people too. Don't do a subject you don't want to, you'll regret it loads. My parents are still banking on me doing medicine even though I've never done a science alevel and I'm starting uni soon..
Still continue with the whole process and InshaAllah you'll be fine! Good luck. My advice isn't amazing but meh

Thanks, worrying about all of this has kinda ruined my summer to be honest haha but inshaAllah I'll be fine :smile:
Reply 55
I don't think Islamic Bank of Britain do these kinds of loans anymore, but thanks anyway

It was a while ago sorry and good luck.:smile:
Original post by glitterpink
The internet wasn't even around when any bibles were written so how could it be against your religion? This is the problem people have with religion & religious people, when they make up random rules that don't make sense.

It's 2013, there is no good reason why someone should be held back in life by their religion!

ArsenalObsessed your religion won't help you get into uni, it won't help you get a job and it won't help you get on in life, because only you can do that by working hard!

I'm not trying to be rude but I think it's ridiculous that people have to rules that will only hold them back!

Um it says interest not Internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Hey ArsenalObsessed, I am also Muslim but I will have to inform you that many aspects of the religion are highly debatable in the sense that they can be interpreted in different ways giving you different opinions. And everyone is clear that the holy Prophet (pbuh) did not blame any Muslims in his time for their differing opinions, he told both parties that they were BOTH right.

Now, on to the interest in Islam. Interest is NOT forbidden in Islam. Compounded interest - interest on interest IS forbidden in Islam - and most muslims will agree. However, if you look at why it is forbidden - it is clearly because it was designed to keep poor people in debt, besides it being a very unfair thing to charge people extra interest on the interest they owe.

You know as a muslim that only God can judge you, and God is a just, fair God. God judges you by your intentions. So long as your intentions are clean, I don't think you should worry BECAUSE as others have mentioned there is NO interest on student loans for a long period, until a time when you are able to pay it back.

When you are able to pay it back, there is a very small interest - which is even below the inflation so actually it is a very fair interest. The other thing why this "student loan" is not a real loan is because you do not have to pay it back if you never get a job over the threshold amount, and the debt is cleared after 30 years regardless of your status

If you take a student loan and get a decent job, they will only take from £50-100 per month from your account and the interest is very small.

There are also many scholars who have said that interest in the modern system is unavoidable and have allowed people to take on interest - but asked them to keep track of it and whatever is EARNED in interest should be given to charity. But whatever you are charged in interest you can't avoid.

I'm sure if you consult a highly educated person such as Shaykh Suleman Ghani he would inform you that it is acceptable (I haven't asked him, but that's what I think). You can ask on facebook - he's on there!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shaykh-Sulaiman-Ghani/190735007732045

In my personal opinion there is nothing wrong with a student loan because it is not designed to keep you in debt, there are no debt collectors if you don't pay and the debt is wiped if it can't be paid or after 30 years.

I would also like to add that you could pay the loan back early if you get the money from your first year at your job and then you won't be paying much interest AT ALL, so you can avoid most of the interest later too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by I like school
Um it says interest not Internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I realise now my bad, but either way it's bloody ridiculous to be against interest...
Reply 59
Hey there op. I too am a Muslim who does not plan on taking out tuition loans, just grants, and to pay my fees upfront. If that's not an option, I recommend looking for relevant scholarships offered at different universities, which may cover most or all of your study costs. KCL offers loads, why not have a look http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/2013-14/scholarships/stem2013.aspx. I'd also suggest looking at other EU countries, such as Sweden, where you'd be exempted from paying tuition fees if you're an EU national.

For non-Muslim readers' information: In addition to wanting to abide by my faith, I believe paying or receiving interest (defined as money on credit - not real money) is morally unacceptable, as things aren't exchanged with their proper value - unjust for everyone involved in such an exchange. Also long term, interest leads to money being transferred from society's poor to the rich, and inflation and other forms of tampering with/changing the value of money become possible.

P.S. some Muslims are of the opinion that student loans don't count as interest, as it doesn't necessarily all have to be paid off and the debt is written off after a certain time. I'm willing to look into this further.

Quick Reply

Latest