The Student Room Group

Buggered.. somewhat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phenomclyde
That's highly unfortunate that you find me charming...

I'm sorry if I have offended you.
Reply 21
Original post by ozzypod
Durham won't accept ABC though, and I'm not sure they accept General studies either.

Why was Durham your dream place? If you wanna go there so bad, you might be better off going through clearing to get into a slightly better university (i.e. Southampton, Queen Mary, etc), go for a foundation year and then switch uni's after the foundation year - but call and ask Durham first if they accept transfers from foundation years at that university into their first year for your course.

They don't, the offer was an explicit 'A for history, politics and music'. No idea, have teachers who've graduated from there who are rather brilliant people and love the environment.

And due to financial reasons I don't think I'll be committing to anything other than a first year at university..
Reply 22
Thought so. Do you think it's worth giving them a ring/waiting for an official rejection over UCAS before committing to Essex? Not sure about fitting in, I'm a bit of a social pariah..

definitely ring asap
Reply 23
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm sorry if I have offended you.

Not at all, I'm just the last thing you'd associate with charm
Not at all, I'm just the last thing you'd associate with charm

Well, I find your use of language rather charming, so there's some in there somewhere.
Reply 25
Original post by kate3
definitely ring asap

Yep will do, cheers
Reply 26
Well, I find your use of language rather charming, so there's some in there somewhere.

Why, thank you? Unfortunately my use if language isn't quite going to help gain me access to the halls of Durham..
Why, thank you? Unfortunately my use if language isn't quite going to help gain me access to the halls of Durham..

Alas, probably not, but it will open most other doors.
Reply 28
Alas, probably not, but it will open most other doors.

Hard to see how considering most of the things I post on Facebook are appreciated by an audience of a more.. middle-aged disposition
Hard to see how considering most of the things I post on Facebook are appreciated by an audience of a more.. middle-aged disposition

LOL

Carnation is sooooooo past middle age

She is even older than me

:biggrin:

Got it in one! I'm probably 3 times your age.
Original post by TenOfThem
LOL

I thought you were my friend...:cry:
I thought you were my friend...:cry:

Hey girl - we is aged and proud

xXxXx
Reply 33
LOL

I stand corrected then haha
Reply 34
They don't, the offer was an explicit 'A for history, politics and music'. No idea, have teachers who've graduated from there who are rather brilliant people and love the environment.

And due to financial reasons I don't think I'll be committing to anything other than a first year at university..

That's unfortunate, since you're an international it will add $15,000 to your costs.

In your case I would then suggest: Work really hard at university, aim for a 2.i or 1st class degree and then go for a Masters at Durham later on (maybe after getting a job for a few years?).

I will also add that: Durham is not the end of the world, so don't be disheartened. In truth there is little difference between any top 200 university and the job prospects are swayed more by your output and efforts rather than the branding on your degree. Just make sure you get into higher education and hopefully you'll land a good job after. Your focus should be to get your degree. It might have been that you got into Durham and then didn't like it, and I truly believe everything happens for the best.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey girl - we is aged and proud

xXxXx

We sure is. We sure is.
Reply 36
Original post by ozzypod
That's unfortunate, since you're an international it will add $15,000 to your costs.

In your case I would then suggest: Work really hard at university, aim for a 2.i or 1st class degree and then go for a Masters at Durham later on (maybe after getting a job for a few years?)

Yup it is quite a hefty financial burden on my parents. That certainly is a possibility, although calling to determine my current situation with Durham and from then on deciding whether to commit to Essex would be a good move, yes? Because right now they are leaving me hanging having not rejected me outright after results day nor accepted me when Essex handed me a place 2 days before.
Reply 37
faggots don't fit in at essex - bunch of homophobes there
Yup it is quite a hefty financial burden on my parents. That certainly is a possibility, although calling to determine my current situation with Durham and from then on deciding whether to commit to Essex would be a good move, yes? Because right now they are leaving me hanging having not rejected me outright after results day nor accepted me when Essex handed me a place 2 days before.

The fact that they haven't yet rejected you is a good sign. They will be expecting you to call and it's your opportunity to sell yourself. Write yourself a charming sales pitch and call them.
Reply 39
Original post by ozzypod

In your case I would then suggest: Work really hard at university, aim for a 2.i or 1st class degree and then go for a Masters at Durham later on (maybe after getting a job for a few years?).

I will also add that: Durham is not the end of the world, so don't be disheartened. In truth there is little difference between any top 200 university and the job prospects are swayed more by your output and efforts rather than the branding on your degree. Just make sure you get into higher education and hopefully you'll land a good job after. Your focus should be to get your degree. It might have been that you got into Durham and then didn't like it, and I truly believe everything happens for the best.

Yea but the problem is I've always been on the fringes of any form of social activity since I was you g and I have been trying to change myself somewhat over summer(working out for confidence et al) so university is vital in how the nature of my life may well be determined over the next 4 years. Essex carries a reputation for non-stop partying and a good, boisterous nightlife so I may just be far out of my depth and uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending