The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Anyone commuting next year?

Just wondering do those that commute to uni instead of living in Canterbury miss out on a social life, any advice from current students? Who else is starting at Kent this year that is going to commute?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same position as you and I'd also be really interested to hear from current students. When you say that you're commuting, will you be getting the bus or driving?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I was thinking of getting a car and driving there but I've also heard about a bus that goes from the Medway campus which is quite near where I live so I still haven't quite decided. What course are you doing?
Reply 3
I am going to be driving in :smile:
Reply 4
Oh that's a good idea about the campus bus. I'll be driving in as long as I manage to get a parking permit. If not I know that they do a highly subsidised bus pass but now that I drive the bus really doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to be studying Maths, what about you two?
Reply 5
C
Original post by Steph_2411
Oh that's a good idea about the campus bus. I'll be driving in as long as I manage to get a parking permit. If not I know that they do a highly subsidised bus pass but now that I drive the bus really doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to be studying Maths, what about you two?

Criminology and sociology :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ELC1995
C

Criminology and sociology :smile:

Ah there seems to be a lot taking your course! Haven't yet found anyone taking mine yet though. I'm presuming you're going to be on the Canterbury campus?
Reply 7
Ah there seems to be a lot taking your course! Haven't yet found anyone taking mine yet though. I'm presuming you're going to be on the Canterbury campus?

Yes im going to the canterbury campus, im sure you will find someone . Search the other posts on this website or thier facebook page?
Reply 8

I'm going to be studying English and American Literature, I think driving in would give me a bit more freedom with my time but I will have to look into getting a parking permit, but if not the campus bus definitely looks like a good idea.
Reply 9
Original post by ELC1995
Yes im going to the canterbury campus, im sure you will find someone . Search the other posts on this website or thier facebook page?

I've finally managed to find someone on the main thread :smile:
Original post by hildyholly
I'm going to be studying English and American Literature, I think driving in would give me a bit more freedom with my time but I will have to look into getting a parking permit, but if not the campus bus definitely looks like a good idea.

Yes, that's my reasoning for wanting to drive too. I hope you manage to find what works best for you!
Reply 10
Original post by hildyholly
Just wondering do those that commute to uni instead of living in Canterbury miss out on a social life, any advice from current students? Who else is starting at Kent this year that is going to commute?

Honestly, the social life in Canterbury is what you make of it (if that makes any sense), regardless of whether you live on campus or commute. I know tons of people who were commuters at Kent uni that had better social lives than some of those who lived on campus.

Advice (this is basic really)`: making friends with those who live on campus (or even in Canterbury), so on a night out you dont have to feel pressured to drive home, you can crash at theirs and go the next morning, sober (again, I know tons of people who did this).

If you make the effort to get to know people - you will be fine - and so will your social life.
I will be commuting and I'm worried about the same thing. I only live in Maidstone so it's not too far on the train... Where are you all coming from?
Reply 12
Original post by Jo-Yanne
Honestly, the social life in Canterbury is what you make of it (if that makes any sense), regardless of whether you live on campus or commute. I know tons of people who were commuters at Kent uni that had better social lives than some of those who lived on campus.

Advice (this is basic really)`: making friends with those who live on campus (or even in Canterbury), so on a night out you dont have to feel pressured to drive home, you can crash at theirs and go the next morning, sober (again, I know tons of people who did this).

If you make the effort to get to know people - you will be fine - and so will your social life.

Thank you for this. I think we all knew this, but it's very reassuring hearing it from someone who's experienced it!
Original post by TaylorEllis
I will be commuting and I'm worried about the same thing. I only live in Maidstone so it's not too far on the train... Where are you all coming from?

I don't feel comfortable posting where I live in a public forum, but I'm only about a half an hour/45 minute drive away from the university depending on traffic :smile:
Ah great! And do you think it's best to drive or catch the train? Is it an easy enough journey?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parking permits are pretty straightforward to get if you have a reasonable drive. I believe I paid £20 for mine but I could be wrong on this year's prices. My only complaint about driving to campus would be the parking as Woolf car park fills up pretty quickly and the sports centre car park has shrunk thanks to the expansion.
Reply 15
Original post by UniKentGrad
Parking permits are pretty straightforward to get if you have a reasonable drive. I believe I paid £20 for mine but I could be wrong on this year's prices. My only complaint about driving to campus would be the parking as Woolf car park fills up pretty quickly and the sports centre car park has shrunk thanks to the expansion.

When I was driving to school I had to pay £3 a day to park, so I'm very happy to pay £20 or anything in that region - every little helps and all that! I've heard that it's basically impossible to find a parking space unless you get to the uni by about 9am - is this true then?
When I was driving to school I had to pay £3 a day to park, so I'm very happy to pay £20 or anything in that region - every little helps and all that! I've heard that it's basically impossible to find a parking space unless you get to the uni by about 9am - is this true then?

Depends on the day of the week. On Monday everyone is keen to come to their lectures and by Thursday there is a drop in people bothering to come as the weekend gets nearer. I usually struggled to find a spot in Woolf if I got there after 10AM but there is always space in the Park Wood overflow car parks near the artificial pitches and the grass pitches.
Reply 17
Original post by UniKentGrad
Depends on the day of the week. On Monday everyone is keen to come to their lectures and by Thursday there is a drop in people bothering to come as the weekend gets nearer. I usually struggled to find a spot in Woolf if I got there after 10AM but there is always space in the Park Wood overflow car parks near the artificial pitches and the grass pitches.

Fair enough, makes sense. To be honest, as long as I have a parking space I'm not all that fussed about where it is - although I might change my mind when I'm actually doing it!
Reply 18
I will be. I'll try and take the medway shuttle bus as I have the misfortune of living in medway...
I'm driving from Maidstone to the uni of Kent campus, I hope that my social life will not be affected from living off campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending