The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehFrance
Dammit :frown: I may end up doing Norwegian (or Swedish, I'll have to check out the learning materials) as I already know English, French, German, Italian and Russian... would rather have a Nordic language :cool:

Ja! Especially as you can't spell "Wörterbuch" it would seem :lol:

Sorry for asking, but why would you want to learn Norwegian? I am Norwegian, and find the language useless, except when I'm actually in Norway. So I find it fascinating that people would want to learn it, and Swedish. Haha
Reply 6301
Original post by Ronove
The present perfect. 'The perfect past' isn't really a thing and could easily be confused with 'the past perfect', which is most definitely not the equivalent of the preterite.

NO! This is not true at all. Having just done something is not what triggers the present perfect in Spanish, though it can be part of the reason to use it. The Spanish has its own venir de phrase, which is acabar de.

Merci beaucoup pour l'information!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annaothilie
Sorry for asking, but why would you want to learn Norwegian? I am Norwegian, and find the language useless, except when I'm actually in Norway. So I find it fascinating that people would want to learn it, and Swedish. Haha

I can only speak for myself but I'd like to learn it so that I could one day visit Norway and talk to the locals. With that in mind, I want to learn many languages so it is more of passion for languages in general than specifically choosing Norwegian. Although I do love how the language sounds, as I do most other Scandinavian languages.

It's true Norwegian is not a widespread language but I think calling it useless is a little bold. Why do you think that?
Original post by annaothilie

Well it would be easier to pull Norwegians (or Swedes should I go down that route) if you speak the lingo :wink: also it country is so beautiful that I may move there one day and having a decent grounding would be helpful :smile:
Reply 6304
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Ja. But you would contract those ones to ins and im, respectively. It's like how practically no English speaker in the world would say "I was not doing anything!"- it's always "I wasn't doing anything!".

Vielen danke!!
I have definitively proven it is possible to pass A-level German, even if one cannot speak it...

I cant write either:tongue:
Original post by AquisM
Thanks! Pm on its way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, it's home made but a native I think made improvements.
Original post by Ronove
The present perfect. 'The perfect past' isn't really a thing and could easily be confused with 'the past perfect', which is most definitely not the equivalent of the preterite.

NO! This is not true at all. Having just done something is not what triggers the present perfect in Spanish, though it can be part of the reason to use it. The Spanish has its own venir de phrase, which is acabar de.

I remember acaber de, which is why I thought I said "like".
Reply 6306
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I cant write either:tongue:

Okay, it's home made but a native I think made improvements.

I remember acaber de, which is why I thought I said "like".

The present perfect in Spanish is not 'like' French 'viens de' though. You really need to learn to accept when you're not knowledgeable enough about something and either not try to give other people advice about it, or at least not argue back when you've been corrected. :wink: Remember that thing about being modest earlier on? Part of being modest is recognising that other people can be more knowledgeable about something than you, and that it's not a competition. :tongue:
This might sound a little silly, but can my fellow linguists assess my Spanish accent? I want to sound as much like a native speaker as possible, and I need some honest feedback. Below are two links to 2 voice recordings of me reading lessons from my Assimil Spanish with Ease. The text I'm reading might sound strange but just ignore that. When I speak I think my accent is OK but then when I record it and play it back to myself, I think it sounds really...English. What can I do to improve? Please tell me honestly. :smile:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lffnpx

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ejvnbq

¡Gracias! :h:
Eheee c'est koselig hier! :tongue:

I seriously need to start with German!! I have till January to convince my teacher to enter me for the A2 exam!! :flutter: :spasm:

:grin: Tootoo
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I say that sometimes. :unsure: Am I a freak?
I assume you're being formal, or emphatic? Otherwise, your existence has. Just. Blown. My. Mind.

Generally, I don't even take it for granted that any random native English speaker can understand that "I didn't do nothing" isn't acceptable Standard English...
Original post by Ronove
The present perfect in Spanish is not 'like' French 'viens de' though. You really need to learn to accept when you're not knowledgeable enough about something and either not try to give other people advice about it, or at least not argue back when you've been corrected. :wink: Remember that thing about being modest earlier on? Part of being modest is recognising that other people can be more knowledgeable about something than you, and that it's not a competition. :tongue:

I never said I wasn't wrong...

I never said I was modest :rofl: and I don't see why you're making this point when I never said I was right :redface:

:dontknow:
Original post by thatitootoo
Eheee c'est koselig hier! :tongue:

I seriously need to start with German!! I have till January to convince my teacher to enter me for the A2 exam!! :flutter: :spasm:

I found that multilingual sentence painful. I'm suing. Or going back to my practically-free copy of the Sims 3. One of those.

A2 as in A-levels or CEFR A2? You don't need to do a lot, personally I'm a very lazy German speaker and only put effort in when required (normally during an argument :lol:), don't worry about it quite so much for school level German, worry more when you're doing CEFR B2 (to an extent)/C1/C2 :wink:

----

Anyway I've decided to do Swedish as the learning materials are more in abundance despite the sad fact that I've access to more Norwegian Film and TV :lol:
I assume you're being formal, or emphatic? Otherwise, your existence has. Just. Blown. My. Mind.

LOL! Yes I use it emphatically :h:. Although I try to enunciate better than my Yorkshire roots give away. Not hard if all one has to do to be called 'posh' around here is to pronounce the letters 't' and 'th' properly. :rolleyes:.

Will no one listen to my audio files? :redface:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Mes cheveux est (or sommes?:dontknow: never described by hair before...) J'ai oublié le mot pour *purple*... :erm:

:teehee:

Hopefully someone who's superior and a lot more knowledgeable can help :moon:
Reply 6315
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I never said I wasn't wrong...

I never said I was modest :rofl: and I don't see why you're making this point when I never said I was right :redface:

:dontknow:

You just seem pretty happy to take the compliments of people on the thread to heart (or at least, the fact that you give out misinformation to people with less knowledge who are hoping to learn from you when you don't know the language(s) yourself would suggest you believe the idea that you're especially good at them/qualified to be advising before you're actually in any way solid with the concepts yourself) and it gets pretty damn irritating when you keep semi-arguing when an error is pointed out. Do I bring up 'la conversation' again here or do you remember? I realise that you are very young and this probably sounds quite harsh, but you need to be more careful when deciding when and when not to advise people who are far less able to judge your level in a language (or anything, really) than you are yourself. It's almost like false advertising. I just don't want people to be picking up errors that might stay with them for quite a while, just because you didn't stop and think 'hmm, maybe I'm not advanced enough in this to be teaching others'.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
LOL! Yes I use it emphatically :h:. Although I try to enunciate better than my Yorkshire roots give away. Not hard if all one has to do to be called 'posh' around here is to pronounce the letters 't' and 'th' properly. :rolleyes:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ich muss zugeben, dass ich den Laut ,,th" nicht deutlich spreche!

Glücklicherweise hat die schöne deutsche Sprache keinen Laut wie ,,th''. :biggrin:

Ich würde gern deine Files(?) zuhoeren, aber ich kann keinen Wert auf meiner Meinung liegen!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove

Take them to heart? I always tell people they're over estimating/I'm not knowledgable enough when they PM me and I guide them to someone else or another resource.

I know I'm not proficient in any language (even English or my dialect of my mother tongue) to actually teach anyone...

I think AquisM is smart enough to not take anything I say as 100% correct.

Semi arguing, no... I'll either argue fully or nothing, and I'd be stupid to argue something when it's wrong :lolwut: the "la conversation" error, I was making a joke when I said I meant something else... Hence the winks, I know you use winks as a looking down on someone emoticon but I used it as a joke.

I know when I'm wrong, I don't feel the need to say "Oh yes, I'm wrong, I shall never try to help again" because sometimes I can help.

If it makes you happy, then fine. I won't try and give any help in languages, unless it's something like "what's the word for X" or "the conjugation of Y". I'll direct them to Constant or a website or something.

Edit: seem is the key word in your first sentence, I don't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
A2 as in A-levels or CEFR A2? You don't need to do a lot, personally I'm a very lazy German speaker and only put effort in when required (normally during an argument :lol:), don't worry about it quite so much for school level German, worry more when you're doing CEFR B2 (to an extent)/C1/C2 :wink:

----

Anyway I've decided to do Swedish as the learning materials are more in abundance despite the sad fact that I've access to more Norwegian Film and TV :lol:

Swedish is beautiful :awesome: And as much as I like your advise...my situation is rather unique in that apart from a one off German evening class where I learned to count to 10, and respond to "Wie geht es dir"...I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN TAUGHT GERMAN IN MY LIFE :redface:

And if I don't start now...No uni will touch my application for undergrad German next year! :sad: I've not even managed to obtain a C1 level of English after 5 years of *existing* here though :redface:

(edited 10 years ago)
Swedish is beautiful :awesome: And as much as I like your advise...my situation is rather unique in that apart from a one off German evening class where I learned to count to 10, and respond to "Wie geht es dir"...I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN TAUGHT GERMAN IN MY LIFE :redface:

And if I don't start now...No uni will touch my application for undergrad German next year! :sad: I've not even managed to obtain C1 English after 5 years of *existing* here though :redface:

Sweden is a beautiful country... not so sure of the language, think I've made a mistake :lol:

Why are you trying to do German at university if you've never been taught it? Seriously, you won't learn enough German in time for the January exam for it to be beneficial for you to do the university course, I'd advise that you do a language you've already studied for university.

Latest

Trending

Trending