The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Phone reception on campus

I'm getting a new phone before starting at Warwick and was wondering whether certain service providers have good signal on campus (for example Orange is fine in my house, but most other providers get no signal).

So, what service provider do you have and do you get a good signal? I'm hoping to get accommodation in Rootes so if you've stayed there that would be even more helpful!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ZLN
I'm getting a new phone before starting at Warwick and was wondering whether certain service providers have good signal on campus (for example Orange is fine in my house, but most other providers get no signal).

So, what service provider do you have and do you get a good signal? I'm hoping to get accommodation in Rootes so if you've stayed there that would be even more helpful!

Thanks

I was in a simlar situation. From what i found O2 have good signal but the university's mobile phones (ones the university buys I found this on Warwicks website somewhere) are on contract with vodafone so I went with talk mobile who use there signal as the coverage map showed it was good and if the university use it they arn't going to go with a service that has no signal.

A note with halls. Due to there structure halls, like rootes, will likely have poor signal as they tend to make faraday cages. but out side and near the windows it will be better.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
ZLN
OP
Original post by BattleBat
I was in a simlar situation. From what i found O2 have good signal but the university's mobile phones (ones the university buys I found this on Warwicks website somewhere) are on contract with vodafone so I went with talk mobile who use there signal as the coverage map showed it was good and if the university use it they arn't going to go with a service that has no signal.

A note with halls. Due to there structure halls, like rootes, will likely have poor signal as they tend to make faraday cages. but out side and near the windows it will be better.

Yeah I heard about the halls being Faraday cages. The cheapest deal I can find at the moment is on Three although it might be worth spending a tiny bit more for Vodafone. Thanks for the help

Anyone else on Three?
Reply 3
Original post by ZLN
Yeah I heard about the halls being Faraday cages. The cheapest deal I can find at the moment is on Three although it might be worth spending a tiny bit more for Vodafone. Thanks for the help

Anyone else on Three?

Try this

This gives accurate signal information and ranks all the networks :smile:

Also, try mobilephonechecker.co.uk - they usually can save you a bit versus buying from the network direct - for example, I got my iPhone 5 for 29 a month, with unlimited everything from there :smile:

Mark
Original post by ZLN

Thanks

Signal coverage is generally good around the main campus and near Rootes. I have a phone on Three and a phone on Vodafone.

I've found that signal in Westwood campus is poor and Gibbet Hill campus is very poor, no matter which network you're with. The Gibbet Hill campus is on the edge of a green-belt site with many listed buildings so it's difficult to put masts there. That site is used by the Medical School and the School of Life Sciences.

Personally I'd go with whoever gives you the best phone/deal/contract as the signal around central campus is generally pretty good for all.

Quick Reply

Latest