The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by PythianLegume
Well getting an A* from a B is no harder than getting it from an A at AS. At least not mathematically.

I've never heard of anyone going from a C to an A*, but I'm sure it's happened and C to A must be fairly common, especially with retakes.

What was your revision like to go from a b to an a*. Also did you retake any exams
Reply 121
Original post by JordanS94
In AS I took Maths Further Maths Art and Computing and received ABCU.

I dropped the U in computing and carried on the ABC, even though I tried dropping the C in art for another subject but I wasn't allowed.

Art took over my life until I had no effort left and decided I was going to take a third year and just not bother with my subjects that much. I ended up with ABD. (I only just scraped the A and B with B's and C's in my exams)

In my third year I carried with both maths and further maths and took up economics (both AS and A2). I got my results yesterday and I got A*AB (and possibly A*AA after a remark)

I was just wondering after getting ABD, what did your lecturers predict you?

I just got the same results for my AS yesterday with an A in Psychology, a B in Sociology and a D in Human Biology. So I'm hoping my lecturer will still give me a prediction of at least a B for Human Biology(As I'm gonna do AS alongside A2 next year), do you think that is possible? (Aiming for AAA/AAB for A2 !!!)

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 122
Original post by im so academic
Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?

Went from DDE to ABB in economics maths (narrowingly missing an A:frown: ) and business studies. Did so many exams this year that in my free time I still have an urge to revise for my subjects only to realise ive done my exams :colondollar:. Yesterday was one of the happiest moments in my life. Goes to show with a bit of hard work and determination you can reach your goals.
Reply 123
Original post by so123
Yeah ur right:smile: thx for ur advice

You're welcome!! I'm sure you can do it!! Good luck!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 124
These success stories make me feel a lot better! I got BBC in English literature, History and Geography. But I'm worried that these subjects can't alter the grades much from AS to A2 :/ Im actually hoping for AAA at end of year 13

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey :smile:

What did your teachers predict you? Because I got ABCD and idk how that'll affect where I can apply if I don't get predicted AAB/ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Predictions are definitely important, and I don't think I would have got offers from my firm and insurance choices if I hadn't got the AAB prediction.

For History and Physics I got the predictions I wanted (A & B) but Maths proved more difficult.
My maths teacher was planning on predicting me a C, but I knew that the uni I wanted wouldn't give me an offer with that prediction, so I went to her and asked her what I had to do for her to predict me an A. She told me that she wanted me to have done 3 Core 3 past papers by first thing tomorrow, so I went home and did 4, and she grudgingly raised my prediction. She actually told me that she didn't believe I'd get an A in the end, but I'm glad to say that I showed her!

You might feel uncomfortable doing so, but I'd advise you to push your teachers. Don't demand for your prediction to be raised (that won't end well xD) but ask what you have to do for them to raise it. You want them to set a challenge, because you should be willing to do the most you can physically do to earn what you want.
Original post by RB136444
I was just wondering after getting ABD, what did your lecturers predict you?

I just got the same results for my AS yesterday with an A in Psychology, a B in Sociology and a D in Human Biology. So I'm hoping my lecturer will still give me a prediction of at least a B for Human Biology(As I'm gonna do AS alongside A2 next year), do you think that is possible? (Aiming for AAA/AAB for A2 !!!)

Thank you!! :smile:

I got a prediction of A*A for A and B but the D I dropped so I can't say but I' thin teachers would assume you can improve by at least 2 grades so i think a prediction of A*AB would be automatic or your teacher would need a little convincing but not much :smile:
(QUOTE=PythianLegume;44002857]I think what you've described is for some exam boards, like CIE. However, for the 3 biggest exam boards OCR, AQA and Edexcel, you just need 80% overall and 90% across the A2 modules.

Hi, will it be possible for me to get an A* in A2 if in AS Biology I got 84%(Jan Exam) and 94%(Jun Exam)?
I got a C in my first unit for sociology and then a B in the second. Overall for my AS I got a B. I decided to actually read my notes after lessons, then got an A in both unit three and four and so overall got an A*. To be honest in the first year you don't expect A levels to be hard, for GCSEs I did not revise once, after AS results day most people are disappointed so naturally work harder and get the grades they wanted for A2. You don't need to work too hard, a little goes a long way.
Reply 129
Original post by Mux123
What subject did you take? Also, did you retake any modules?

Essay subjects; didn't retake any modules.
Reply 130
Original post by Table dust
clearing?

No, I went through the "Access to Leeds" route
Got a C in AS Further Maths, A at A Level. First year my teacher was a weirdo and I didn't do enough exam prep prior to exams; 2nd year I retook 2 out of the 3 modules and did a lot more exam papers, also it was good having a teacher who actually knew the subject quite well
Reply 132
After opening my AS results I was completely shocked at what grades I achieved , CCDE in ; Biology , Chemistry ,maths(5ums off a C) and psychology which I am
dropping any ways. Dunno whether Retaking the year or just Balancing 7 A2 exams plus 7 AS exams would be the better option . I guess I now know that I need to spend every single min studying my ass off. Any ideas guys ? Since there are no Jan exams any more , would it be better to retake the year as I need atleast ABB for a chemistry course or maby taking a 3rd year If needed .
BBCD at as to A*A*AB (getting the B remarked, was only one off an A!)

Honestly was just down to hard work in the 2 months before the exam. Work smart as well as hard!
Reply 134
Original post by katweena
These success stories make me feel a lot better! I got BBC in English literature, History and Geography. But I'm worried that these subjects can't alter the grades much from AS to A2 :/ Im actually hoping for AAA at end of year 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a B in English Lit at AS (albeit a very high B) and ended up with an A* overall. Basically, since you're doing all essay-based subjects, anything could happen :wink:
This has given me a lot of motivation.
(Before the intro of A*) My sister got BBCC at AS. Retook everything and ended up with AAAb. Got into Birmingham to do a masters in maths. Just depends on whether you apply yourself or not.
Reply 137
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey what did your teachers predict you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry about the late response. In June I got AACD and with some begging I managed to get A*AA predictions. I didn't think I'd get the A in physics but I needed to be predicted at least 3 As for UCL to accept me, turned out pretty good I'd say (I got in).
Original post by AlanAlty
(Before the intro of A*) My sister got BBCC at AS. Retook everything and ended up with AAAb. Got into Birmingham to do a masters in maths. Just depends on whether you apply yourself or not.

How would you guys reccomend revising for someone who wants to turn around their disastrous AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
CDEE IN PSYCHOLOGY CHEMISTRY MATHS AND ICT BBBB IN PSYCHOLOGY CHEMISTRY MATHS AND AS BIOLOGY

What did I do different?
After school instead of going home and doing nothing every day I went home and re wrote my notes for chemistry maths I finished all the exercises looked at exam papers, Psychology I wrote all my essay plans and practiced as I went along and biology well my teacher tested me every week and forced me to learn tbh.

I hated IT tbh i didnt care lol?

Just knuckle down and actually think did i give 100%
I know I haven't got an A's of A* but im proud of myself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest