The Student Room Group

Hit the wall with my PS: Help or entertainment much appreciated

Results went well so now there's no excuse for me not to write my personal statement. But I'm completely stuck.

Feel free to give me (and whomever reads this) advice/entertainment!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheClassDayDreamer
Results went well so now there's no excuse for me not to write my personal statement. But I'm completely stuck.

*Cough*
Original post by TheFOMaster

I presume you've come to help/entertain me. Or have you just come to cough?
Reply 3
I presume you've come to help/entertain me. Or have you just come to cough?

You have to click it :yep:
Whatever you do, don't use anything anyone suggests in this open forum or it will come up on the Ucas plagiarism software.
Original post by Juno
You have to click it :yep:

Aah. Thanks!
Reply 6

Write a stream of words that you relate to your interest in the subject

Re-hash

voila
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Whatever you do, don't use anything anyone suggests in this open forum or it will come up on the Ucas plagiarism software.

I'll make sure not to. Thank you :smile:

Congratulations on your results :smile:, and it is great that your already starting your PS! It is completely normal whilst writing your PS to get stuck- but sometimes just sleeping on it is the best thing, and then your mind might be fresher in the morning! Everyone is different but some people prefer to do it in one chunk, others prefer to write just 10 minutes at a time. As for entertainment, I suggest YouTube :biggrin:. I don't know if you watch Jenna Marbles, but she has some very funny stuff on there. Or why not watch some cat videos? The Inbetweeners also never fails to make me laugh xxx
Original post by Alix_js
Congratulations on your results :smile:, and it is great that your already starting your PS! It is completely normal whilst writing your PS to get stuck- but sometimes just sleeping on it is the best thing, and then your mind might be fresher in the morning! Everyone is different but some people prefer to do it in one chunk, others prefer to write just 10 minutes at a time. As for entertainment, I suggest YouTube :biggrin:. I don't know if you watch Jenna Marbles, but she has some very funny stuff on there. Or why not watch some cat videos? The Inbetweeners also never fails to make me laugh xxx

Thanks you! Hope you're doing well wherever you are in life!

I thought about it but for some reason little things like YT are starting to bore (It's probably because I spend way too much of my time on there lol)

Jenna Marbles is awesome! I've devoured every Inbetweeners episode there is and for some reason I never connect with cat videos...
Reply 10
DO NOT take inspiration from others' personal statements. I typed my personal statement literally in about 20 minutes (I had to - it was last minute) but it turned out okay because I wrote a PERSONAL statement, not a GENERAL statement! I got offers from King's, Queen Mary, Brunell & Kent even though my application was submitted on the 30th June at 4pm.

I've seen a few personal statements and it seems a lot of students think it's about writing a novel about a student who came from nothing to being something or was a gift from birth and came to save the world - those cliches will not make you stand out.

A personal statement should do what it says on the tin. At the same time, use your GCSE English skills to keep away from waffling, and structure the paragraphs well, keep the first sentence of each paragraph as an opener to the rest of the paragraph and the last sentence of the paragraph as a hint to the next paragraph. Every sentence should have a clear point to be made and every claim should be backed up.

Please don't write a general statement, or a personal essay. It tells me that you haven't developed to a high maturity yet so I wonder what it tells the admissions tutors who have to read through thousands of them each year.

Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ozzypod
DO NOT take inspiration from others' personal statements. I typed my personal statement literally in about 20 minutes (I had to - it was last minute) but it turned out okay because I wrote a PERSONAL statement, not a GENERAL statement! I got offers from King's, Queen Mary, Brunell & Kent even though my application was submitted on the 30th June at 4pm.

I've seen a few personal statements and it seems a lot of students think it's about writing a novel about a student who came from nothing to being something or was a gift from birth and came to save the world - those cliches will not make you stand out.

A personal statement should do what it says on the tin. At the same time, use your GCSE English skills to keep away from waffling, and structure the paragraphs well, keep the first sentence of each paragraph as an opener to the rest of the paragraph and the last sentence of the paragraph as a hint to the next paragraph. Every sentence should have a clear point to be made and every claim should be backed up.

Please don't write a general statement, or a personal essay. It tells me that you haven't developed to a high maturity yet so I wonder what it tells the admissions tutors who have to read through thousands of them each year.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice but I in no way implied that I was going to write a general/personal statement. I'm just stuck. I'm sure I'll figure it out way before June and submit it.
Original post by TenOfThem
Write a stream of words that you relate to your interest in the subject

Re-hash

voila

Tried to some time ago to no avail.
Thank you all for your input. I've started writing again :smile:

:banana::banana2::party::party2::bl::2euk48l:

Okay I'll stop there...
Reply 14
Thank you for your advice but I in no way implied that I was going to write a general/personal statement. I'm just stuck. I'm sure I'll figure it out way before June and submit it.

I just felt like expressing my opinion in regards to the person who suggested you get help on this forum but without copying/plagiarism.

I feel it takes people backwards rather than helps them, and induces a "general statement".

But I also hadn't made that implication about yourself :P.
Reply 15

What course do you intend to apply for? Hows it going? :smile:
Thanks you! Hope you're doing well wherever you are in life!

I thought about it but for some reason little things like YT are starting to bore (It's probably because I spend way too much of my time on there lol)

Jenna Marbles is awesome! I've devoured every Inbetweeners episode there is and for some reason I never connect with cat videos...

Thank you! And I agree completely with what you said on YT being boring sometimes (yes, I go on there for 1 video and stay for like 2 hours, then have nothing to watch for the next week...) I also think that several channels have just gone downhill, and I don't bother with anymore. As for the inbetweeners they are releasing a second movie next year!!! I just hope it's good unlike many film sequels that flop. Have a nice day and as Jenna would say weeeeeeeeeeeee x
Original post by ozzypod
I just felt like expressing my opinion in regards to the person who suggested you get help on this forum but without copying/plagiarism.

I feel it takes people backwards rather than helps them, and induces a "general statement".

But I also hadn't made that implication about yourself :P.

It sounded like you were but you must have been talking generally :biggrin:

But seriously, thank you: You reminded me to keep it simple.
Original post by Jkizer

It's going decent actually. I'm on a mini roll :smile:

What about you (assuming you're applying as well...)
Original post by Jkizer

Medicine or neuroscience :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest