The Student Room Group

6 AS-Levels

Hey,

I was looking at AS-results and quite a few people took 6 as-levels,

For entrance to oxbridge, I was wondering weather it would put you at an advantage to do 6 as-levels rather than 5 as-levels, but you get slightly lower percentage in the modules.

Thanks

(the subjects would be: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology and economics)
Reply 1
Original post by R-Radeon
Hey,

For entrance to oxbridge, I was wondering weather it would put you at an advantage to do 6 as-levels rather than 5 as-levels, but you get slightly lower percentage in the modules.

Thanks

(the subjects would be: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology and economics)

No. Oxbridge only want 3 good A Levels. Much better to get really high UMS. Depending on what course you want to do, I'd recommend doing Maths and Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, or the 3 sciences and maths. That said, if you want to do more than 4 AS's just because you enjoy the subjects, then I don't think anything should stop you doing that. But doing it to get into Oxbridge is a bad idea.
Reply 2
I have no idea how it's even possible to do 6! At my sixthform it's impossible to do that many, unless you decided to teach yourself!

All in all, the number of AS levels you do doesn't matter. You'll only get an offer based on 3 A-Levels. Do four (or even five if you think you'll cope) and do amazing in them or do more and lower how well you do, which could affect your chances of getting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. Cambridge is far more interested in high UMS rather than loads of scraped As. Far better to get 4 AS with UMS > 90% rather than a 6 or 7 with 80%. As for Oxford I don't know but I doubt they are very fussed.
Original post by R-Radeon
Hey,

Thanks

It won't disadvantage you (I did seven, but because I enjoyed the subjects). If you can do maths, FM is easy, so you may as well do that. I didn't do economics, but out of the rest Chemistry is the hardest.

However, if you're going for Oxbridge you need As in all of them, and High As in your chosen subjects. You also could do extras like the UKMT maths challenges or equivalent. ONLY do six IF you are absolutely confident of getting these grades. Otherwise it won't help you - they only want you to be good at your subject.

What are you applying for? :smile:

Edit: That's tailored to Oxford. If you are applying to Cambridge, particularly for maths, you need very high UMS and STEP / AEA if applicable.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest