The Student Room Group

I wish I went to a private school...

So, as the title says, I wish I went to a private boarding school. However, it isn't because I think that I will get top grades if I do, it is simply because I really like the whole lifestyle!

I got to a new free-school in London, I am in sixth-form, and we are affiliated with 8 independent schools. Part of this affiliations, means that we get to visit the independent schools, and they get to visit us. Our teachers swap occasionally, we compete against them in sports, and etc. I originally thought this would be a great idea, however, now I think not so much.
When we visited one of the schools, I spoke to some students that told me about their lifestyle: they go to parties all the time, they are close because they stay together quite a lot, they have more freedom to do what they want, and their life is very structured. I love this.
There were three things about private/independent schools that made me fall in love:
1) They have so much fun in their free time, they are away from parents, so they go to parties, got to festivals, and just enjoy their teen years together.
2) Sport is such a big thing, which is what I LOVE! I love sports with a passion, and I am always keen to get involved. Especially rowing!
3) You still get to visit home during holidays

As you can tell, I am more interested in the social aspect of things. I am not worried about the academic aspect, simply because I believe that if a person wants to do really well, they need to work hard to achieve it. Regardless of where they study.

There isn't really any point of this thread, it's just for me to kind of vent out my frustrations.
It's because today, I went to a friends house to hang out, and there was this boy from Brighton college. He started telling us stories about how he has crazy parties there, and how he has the most awesome friends, and how he went to Berlin and had a crazy experience.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah the grass is very green on the other side. You want your parents to pay thousands and thousands of pounds purely for you to enjoy a partying lifestyle?

I would have understood if you'd said you would have wanted the better education..
On the flip side, private schools are rife with spoilt entitled rich kids and drug problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to a private school and although I am on a bursary, it's not a "party lifestyle" all the time. The fact that it's a private school means that wealthy families are likely to send their children there and so they can spend time getting drunk, partying etc, not because they are at a private school, but because they can afford it.

It's funny how you say in our free time we party and go to festivals when we have similar free time to state schools. We don't go to a party in a free period and then come back for Physics.

We have 7 lessons a day with a 2 week timetable and on average, we get set around 3 homeworks a night, every day. Partying is hardly an option for the students that actually want to do well and get into the top end courses at University. If anything, the students who party just manage to scrape into the school and get marginal passes (C's).

The only thing I agree with you is sports. We do have A LOT of facilities for just about every sport there is. I don't see why you don't check in your community if they do any of these sports.

The funny thing about your post is that you seem to be concerned about party rather than learning at a private school.
Reply 3
Original post by Pipsico

I would have understood if you'd said you would have wanted the better education..
On the flip side, private schools are rife with spoilt entitled rich kids and drug problems.
Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Not to be overly stereotypical but most people I have spoken to from private schools are so self absorbed and are ignorant to real issues in our world.

Really? I'm getting negged for my experience. Even if you aren't one of the kids I mentioned, if you think a lot of your peers weren't like this you need a reality check.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
It's understandable that people will disagree with me.
I am not worried about the educational aspect at all. Simply because I believe that the education that you receive is dependent on the quality of your teachers. REGARDLESS of the type of institution that you attend.

When I said 'in their free time, they party', I didn't mean in your free periods, I meant on the weekends, or even in the evenings.
The reason why I said this, is to make the point that attending an independent boarding school means that you are with your friends most of, if not all, of the time. So you can always do things together, whenever a window of opportunity opens.

In terms of the sport point that one of the posters made: I have looked in my local community for sport clubs. I have taken part in Rowing, and Athletics. However, the locations are very far away from where I live, so it is difficult to fit travelling, and taking part around my busy schedule of homework and A levels, etc. Whereas in private schools (as far as I know) many have the sports facilities on their ground, or very close to the school grounds! Also, I personally think it is much better when you are taking part in sport with your friends! Yes, I know you can make friends at a local sports facility!

I do realise that private schools kids don't party every day of the week for various reasons, but the fact is, they definitely have more parties than I or anyone else from my school does. A private school student has a much more structured life, as well as the freedom to do things in their free time that they may not have been able to do had they not attended one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CurtisDean
I am not worried about the educational aspect at all. Simply because I believe that the education that you receive is dependent on the quality of your teachers. REGARDLESS of the type of institution that you attend.

When I said 'in their free time, they party', I didn't mean in your free periods, I meant on the weekends, or even in the evenings.
The reason why I said this, is to make the point that attending an independent boarding school means that you are with your friends most of, if not all, of the time. So you can always do things together, whenever a window of opportunity opens.

In terms of the sport point that one of the posters made: I have looked in my local community for sport clubs. I have taken part in Rowing, and Athletics. However, the locations are very far away from where I live, so it is difficult to fit travelling, and taking part around my busy schedule of homework and A levels, etc. Whereas in private schools (as far as I know) many have the sports facilities on their ground, or very close to the school grounds! Also, I personally think it is much better when you are taking part in sport with your friends! Yes, I know you can make friends at a local sports facility!

I do realise that private schools kids don't party every day of the week for various reasons, but the fact is, they definitely have more parties than I or anyone else from my school does. A private school student has a much more structured life, as well as the freedom to do things in their free time that they may not have been able to do had they not attended one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the issue is that you want to be rich
Reply 6
We are the complete opposites I wish we could swap lives. I've been at a private boarding school for 5 years. It ain't good.
Reply 7
I went to a private Sixth form in Bedfordshire, its not as rosey as you think. Fun yes as it like moving out 2 years before uni but its not as if your life is instantly sorted, a hell of a lot more is expected of you compared to if you were at a free school.
1. Private schools do not have a lot of free time. There are at least 7 subjects a student must take (regardless if it is GSCE, IB, etc.), not to mention out-of-school activities. Trust me, I studied in a private international school my whole life.
2. Sports is available outside school, regardless if it is public or private. Not every private school wants to accommodate sports. Most of the private schools I've been to have their own facilities but are only used to attract future students. None of these facilities are really used.
3. It depends where you live. I can't really comment on the third point because I lived near school, hence why I lived with my parents then. As far as I know, it all depends on the money your parents are willing to spend.
Original post by HashimKF
Not to be overly stereotypical but most people I have spoken to from private schools are so self absorbed and are ignorant to real issues in our world.

Because they aren't exposed to them. You can't say the average state school kid gives more of a **** about Africa than private school kids do about homelessness in London. Neither attitude is excusable, but it's very understandable, and you would be exactly the same with their upbringing.

I went to a private school on a scholarship, so I understand the temptation to dismiss people as spoilt and entitled, but most aren't bad people when you know them personally, just naive sometimes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Octohedral
Because they aren't exposed to them. You can't say the average state school kid gives more of a **** about Africa.

I went to a private school on a scholarship, so I understand the temptation to dismiss people as spoilt and entitled, but most aren't bad people when you know them personally.

I don't dismiss people like that. I was just clearly stating what I have experienced with MOST people from private schools. I wasn't exactly meaning problems in africa either. What I meant was things much closer to home. Private schools mean you know people from less diverse backgrounds so poverty and homelessness is nothing more than what they hear on the news. Once again I'm sure some do but I am just sharing my experience.
Just wait till uni. You can do all of those things there plus you'll be old enough to drink. Winner.
Reply 12
Lot of private school kids round where I live. I find that there's an attitude of hedonism and recklessness that is distastefully prevalent. A lot of them don't know what to do with their money and end up spending it on drink and drugs and wasting it in general. There's also a culture of entitlement that I don't see at my state (admittedly grammar) school so much. Private schools are a great model but I'm really glad I didn't end up going to one.

(There are, obviously, many nice people at these places too)
Reply 13
I went to a public school. Public schools win.
You want the party lifestyle? You can save that for uni - which is when it's gonna be more worthwhile anyways - more places to go, legal age, etc.

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Just wait till uni. You can do all of those things there plus you'll be old enough to drink. Winner.

This, basically.
Original post by CurtisDean

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's all about the partying?

How pathetic.
I work in a private school and I can assure you the students will not be allowed to party all the time. Most of them hate boarding, you have no freedom, you're life is totally institutionalised, you have curfews of normally 10.30pm on weekends...so not much partying time. Yes sports is big but you can get involves in that outside of school for less.. They don't finish school until 6pm. Honestly, I think it's often made out to be amazing and very free but it really isn't! The kids will tell others it is amazing but they complain about having to board 99% of the time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i would love to go to a boarding school,primarily hogwarts
Original post by Pipsico
Yeah the grass is very green on the other side. You want your parents to pay thousands and thousands of pounds purely for you to enjoy a partying lifestyle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by HashimKF
This.

It always makes me quite sad when I hear people have such bad opinions of private school kids- out of curiosity, were/are the people you knew/know from private schools from public boarding schools or local day schools? There's a very big difference between them. :smile: (Namely that private day schools have way more range in incomes, spanning the entire middle class.)

One thing i've never quite understood is the idea that private school kids see less diversity than state school kids? I mean obviously that's the case in a lot of cases, but my school doesn't have people of more incomes than a nearby state school in a good area..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
My parents wouldn't need to spend thousands of pounds a year for the private school if I was to win a scholarship.

Anyway, it was just me venting out my frustrations, obviously nothing will materialise from this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending