The Student Room Group

To third year or not?

At AS I ended with poor grades so worked my socks off at A2 and landed ABC. I did the most work in my C graded subject and it came out worse because I don't feel I focused on A2 modules enough.

My A needed an 85 in Core 4 to A* it but I ended up with a 74, despite my other core modules being at least 92.

My B needed 13 more UMS to get an A, though I was only after ABB, I feel if I improved on this I could get A*AB if I did:

* Core 4
* One psychology module
* 2nd year of my C subject

Is it worth it though? Opinions please. I heard some universities frown upon third year students.
Original post by rhw
At AS I ended with poor grades so worked my socks off at A2 and landed ABC. I did the most work in my C graded subject and it came out worse because I don't feel I focused on A2 modules enough.

My A needed an 85 in Core 4 to A* it but I ended up with a 74, despite my other core modules being at least 92.

My B needed 13 more UMS to get an A, though I was only after ABB, I feel if I improved on this I could get A*AB if I did:

* Core 4
* One psychology module
* 2nd year of my C subject

Is it worth it though? Opinions please. I heard some universities frown upon third year students.

For the majority of universities taking a third year for your A levels will not leave you at a disadvantage. The select few universities that do care will state so in the entry requirements of the course on their website.
A year isn't much in the grand scheme of things, so if you really want to take extra time to get the grades you really want then there is nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply

Latest