The Student Room Group

What type of students discount cards are they? (for uni)

I am new to thestudentroom and Sorry if this the wrong section but this was the closest thread I could find for my question. If they is a another thread that best fits my question, than please can a admin move this post. Thanks

What type of student discount cards are available for students going to university in the UK? and if it helps, I am going to Brunel university.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've moved it to the uni life forum :smile:

Most places will accept your uni ID, but for the other places you may like to get an NUS card

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've moved it to the uni life forum :smile:

Most places will accept your uni ID, but for the other places you may like to get an NUS card

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, and also do you know how I can find my own posts?
Congrats at getting into Brunel, you'll love it!

the NUS discount card is the big one - check out their website - personally i wouldnt pay for it having been lucky enoug to get a free one this year and hardly used it

another good card to get is a 16 -25 railcard, as you can link it to your oyster and it gives you 1/3 off off peak tube fares, however the railcard isnt worth getting unless you do other train trips around the country - they come free with some student bank accounts however

Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to contradict that - brunel doesnt have an expiry date on their ID cards so some places can be a bit funny about that

otherwise just get some storecards
Original post by abubakar261
Thanks, and also do you know how I can find my own posts?

Click on your name, then my stats, then find posts.

If you've posted in a thread and then someone else posts it will show up in your watched threads feeds too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by littlemissmidget123
Congrats at getting into Brunel, you'll love it!

the NUS discount card is the big one - check out their website - personally i wouldnt pay for it having been lucky enoug to get a free one this year and hardly used it

another good card to get is a 16 -25 railcard, as you can link it to your oyster and it gives you 1/3 off off peak tube fares, however the railcard isnt worth getting unless you do other train trips around the country - they come free with some student bank accounts however

Just to contradict that - brunel doesnt have an expiry date on their ID cards so some places can be a bit funny about that

otherwise just get some storecards

Thanks, btw, do you go to Brunel? and how did you get a free NUS card? Should I apply for NUS card now or wait until I am fully enrolled/registered with Brunel? Thanks once again! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks, btw, do you go to Brunel? and how did you get a free NUS card? Should I apply for NUS card now or wait until I am fully enrolled/registered with Brunel? Thanks once again! :smile:

You can apply now, I vaguely recall my flatmate having to use it as photo ID so that she could register with the university!
Reply 7
So everything that everyone else has been saying - and remember that stupid Rymans have decided to be awkward and you now have to use their student card to get discount. Which is entirely pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

You have to wait until you're enrolled because you will need your student card. Usually at your freshers fair, NUS will have a stand & give out application forms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by .snowflake.
You can apply now, I vaguely recall my flatmate having to use it as photo ID so that she could register with the university!

lol :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by PotterLaw
So everything that everyone else has been saying - and remember that stupid Rymans have decided to be awkward and you now have to use their student card to get discount. Which is entirely pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to wait until you're enrolled because you will need your student card. Usually at your freshers fair, NUS will have a stand & give out application forms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the information :smile: (I normally never go to Rymans, so it will be fine!)
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd advise having a look at the NUS extra website - see where they do discounts. If you use those places a lot, get the card, if not it's probably not worth it! (The Superdrug & Ryman's discounts were worth it for me - until, as someone else said, they got their own cards!)
Thanks for the information :smile: (I normally never go to Rymans, so it will be fine!)

But....but what about stationary?

I love stationary :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by BrushieDuck
I'd advise having a look at the NUS extra website - see where they do discounts. If you use those places a lot, get the card, if not it's probably not worth it! (The Superdrug & Ryman's discounts were worth it for me - until, as someone else said, they got their own cards!)

I read the NUS website and their give discounts to a lot of stores I use, so it'll worth it.

But....but what about stationary?

I love stationary :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I normally buy my stationary online, its a lot cheaper compared to Rymons!

Original post by .snowflake.

You can apply now, but you still have to wait and pick it up from the union once you arrive

And yes im going into second year :smile:
You can apply now, but you still have to wait and pick it up from the union once you arrive

And yes im going into second year :smile:

Not if you get NUS extra, it's posted to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not if you get NUS extra, it's posted to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

mine wasnt last year..
Reply 17
My NUS card has been invaluable to me through sixth form and my first year of university! I've probably saved in the region of £50-£60 by using it, making it more than worth it. My university accepts NUS cards for cheaper entry into union nights, not to mention the 10% off on ASOS!

I'll be renewing my NUS card next year without a doubt.
mine wasnt last year..

Ah ok. Mine was!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
My student card from Worcester worked at pretty much everywhere, and obviously was free. The only place that has been arsey about it is Rymans, which get you to sign up to their 'Student Genius Club' to get 10% off. HOWEVER, if you have an NUS card, use that and you'll get 12.5% off, without signing up with Rymans :wink:
I'm with Lloyds for my student account, and get an NUS card free for 3 years. Had some trouble sorting it out, but managed to get one eventually :smile: Hardly used it when I had my university card, so if you have to buy one, just whether the places you usually shop at accept student cards for discount (if they do, probably not worth getting an NUS card). There's UniDays you can sign up to for online discounts, but I've never used it, and there's also a few other card schemes, such as The Student Card, but tbh I'd just stick with your uni card and/or an NUS card, as these are more likely to be accepted

Quick Reply

Latest