The Student Room Group

OCR AS Level - Philosopher paper may 2013

As 1 of 2 questions, i answer the 'explain intelligent deisgn '. But 3/4 i talked about Paley watch analogy, Aquinas design teleological, anthropic principle, Darwinism and generally how we can see intelligent design through things like gravity, the human eye and a fish fin are perfect for there purpose. If they were any different they wouldn't work in the correct. Roughly what sort of marks can i get from this answer but i didn't really answer the way you should ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any one?
The things you wrote about Paley and Aquinas aren't super-relevant to "Intelligent Design", since Intelligent Design refers to the Creationist idea that the complexity and apparent order of the universe can be explained in reference to a creator. Paley and Aquinas are ways of justifying this believe through argument, so you should get some marks. I felt the question was more looking for Irreducible Complexity, Specified Complexity, fine-tuning and challenges from evolutionary theory. You wrote about Darwin, though, so that's relevant.
Reply 3
I think here the examiners would be looking more for examples from the idea of Intelligent Design itself, which is quite a recent one. You could have mentioned Behe, and his attempt to discredit the Theory of Evolution with the complexity of the bacterial flagellum. Describing conflicts between Intelligent Design and Darwin's theory could have also been used.

Paley's analogy refers to a primitive 'version' of Intelligent Design in relation to Irreducable Complexity, so to mention it was a good point. The Anthropic Principle is more Design Argument, though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anagramology
The things you wrote about Paley and Aquinas aren't super-relevant to "Intelligent Design", since Intelligent Design refers to the Creationist idea that the complexity and apparent order of the universe can be explained in reference to a creator. Paley and Aquinas are ways of justifying this believe through argument, so you should get some marks. I felt the question was more looking for Irreducible Complexity, Specified Complexity, fine-tuning and challenges from evolutionary theory. You wrote about Darwin, though, so that's relevant.

Original post by Elyon
I think here the examiners would be looking more for examples from the idea of Intelligent Design itself, which is quite a recent one. You could have mentioned Behe, and his attempt to discredit the Theory of Evolution with the complexity of the bacterial flagellum. Describing conflicts between Intelligent Design and Darwin's theory could have also been used.

Paley's analogy refers to a primitive 'version' of Intelligent Design in relation to Irreducable Complexity, so to mention it was a good point. The Anthropic Principle is more Design Argument, though.

How many marks out of 25 do you think i could get ? because i did write about the sightly wrong thing
Original post by Timmy12321
As 1 of 2 questions, i answer the 'explain intelligent deisgn '. But 3/4 i talked about Paley watch analogy, Aquinas design teleological, anthropic principle, Darwinism and generally how we can see intelligent design through things like gravity, the human eye and a fish fin are perfect for there purpose. If they were any different they wouldn't work in the correct. Roughly what sort of marks can i get from this answer but i didn't really answer the way you should ?

Hey! What grade/ums did you get?
Original post by WannaGetAnA
Hey! What grade/ums did you get?
This.

I answered the Descartes and the Evil questions and I got 100 ums.

I also got 77 ums on the ethics paper, but I thought I did BETTER on ethics than on philosophy, so I'm wondering whether it's worth a remark. Also, how much are the remarks?
Original post by ravishingrick69
This.

I also got 77 ums on the ethics paper, but I thought I did BETTER on ethics than on philosophy, so I'm wondering whether it's worth a remark. Also, how much are the remarks?

Wow! 100 ums is amazing! I got 97 in philosophy and 92 in ethics

I think remarks are £18.90 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/find/fees-lists/). You were 3 ums off an a, so it might be worth it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Wow! 100 ums is amazing! I got 97 in philosophy and 92 in ethics

I think remarks are £18.90 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/find/fees-lists/). You were 3 ums off an a, so it might be worth it :smile:
Well done. You did better than me :mad: lol. Read a couple of pages on the remark thread and 9/10 times people's marks were going up.
Might be worth it since the markers are probably corrupt.
Well done. You did better than me :mad: lol. Read a couple of pages on the remark thread and 9/10 times people's marks were going up.
Might be worth it since the markers are probably corrupt.

Then you should definitely get a remark!:smile: are you carrying on RS next year?
Then you should definitely get a remark!:smile: are you carrying on RS next year?

Yea. You?
Yea. You?

Yeah, I'm carrying on RS, psycho and bio, even though I got a c in bio:smile: so happy I finally get to drop maths!!!
Yeah, I'm carrying on RS, psycho and bio, even though I got a c in bio:smile: so happy I finally get to drop maths!!!

I'm the opposite, I'm picking up maths for next year. Can't believe you want to drop it lol.
I'm the opposite, I'm picking up maths for next year. Can't believe you want to drop it lol.

I hated it!:smile: I only took it cos my sister said it would be useful. Maths so isn't my thing
This.

i had exactly the same and answered the same questions! well done!
I did the Descartes question but I couldn't do the evil question because I hadn't revise Irenaeus' theodicy, so I did the Intelligent Design one. I thought I'd done quite badly on the ID question, but I got 100 UMS in the Philosophy paper, and 100 UMS in the Ethics too -- I was really surprised, especially since I did it two years early. Now I really want my papers back~

Congrats on you guys results, too!
(edited 10 years ago)
For those of you interested in contemporary accounts of Intelligent Design see:

The Mystery of Life's Origins (1984) by Charles Thaxton
A Theory in Crisis (1986) by Michael Denton. Micheal Behe's Darwin's Black Box (1996)
Original post by Anagramology
I did the Descartes question but I couldn't do the evil question because I hadn't revise Irenaeus' theodicy, so I did the Intelligent Design one. I thought I'd done quite badly on the ID question, but I got 100 UMS in the Philosophy paper, and 100 UMS in the Ethics too -- I was really surprised, especially since I did it two years early. Now I really want my papers back~

Congrats on you guys results, too!

Wow! 100 ums on both papers?! That's amazing! What ethics questions did you answer?
Wow! 100 ums on both papers?! That's amazing! What ethics questions did you answer?

Thanks! I did the question on Kantian ethics and Utilitarianism. I sure as hell wasn't going to do applied ethics questions when there were two beautiful theory ones. I guess I found it kinda easy because I find Kant really interesting, not least because I think his ethics are very flawed, and I also think myself as a Utilitarian.

What ethics questions did you do?
Hey guys, I just got my results back amd I didn't do as well as I thought I did in the Philosophy paper I got a C (65UMS) and I answered the questions on Intelligent Design amd Pronblem of evil.
In the ethics paper I scraped an A with 80UMS, so I was wondering if I should get my paper back and see if deserve more marks on Philiosophy?! Also how much does it cost to get a photocopy of my paper and a remark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending