The Student Room Group

Maths or Economics? Help!

Which is better Maths at QMUL or Economics at City? I really cant decide between the two!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iamsuperjai
Which is better Maths at QMUL or Economics at City? I really cant decide between the two!

It really depends on wether you want to study Maths or Economics
Reply 2

Simple. do you want to study Mathematics or Economics?
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
It really depends on wether you want to study Maths or Economics

To be honest I dont really mind studying either of them. I have always liked maths ever since I was a kid but I think Economics would be equally interesting. In terms of career prospect, which of these two courses are better (taking in mind the uni that I will be studying them at) ?
Reply 4
If you're unsure you could still get a finance job with a maths degree - in fact a maths degree is problem solving and opens the doors to many different fields later on. The Maths dept. at Queen Mary is supposed to be world class too. Personally, I would go for Maths.

As my A level maths teacher pointed out many CEOs of world leading organisations held a Maths degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
To be honest I dont really mind studying either of them. I have always liked maths ever since I was a kid but I think Economics would be equally interesting. In terms of career prospect, which of these two courses are better (taking in mind the uni that I will be studying them at) ?

tbh "I dont mind" is hardly the passion needed to start a 3 year course

they have similar rankings so that is not relevant

are there economics options in the maths degree
Reply 6

Mathematics has a wider career choice than economics.. Banking, Engineering, Computing etc.

so for that reason QMUL.
Have you thought about doing a combined degree if any of the university's offer it if you can't make your mind up?
Reply 8
tbh "I dont mind" is hardly the passion needed to start a 3 year course

they have similar rankings so that is not relevant

are there economics options in the maths degree

Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Have you thought about doing a combined degree if any of the university's offer it if you can't make your mind up?

QMUL is doing Maths, Stats and Financial Economics.. or would it be better if I just do Maths on its own?
Reply 9
Original post by ozzypod
If you're unsure you could still get a finance job with a maths degree - in fact a maths degree is problem solving and opens the doors to many different fields later on. The Maths dept. at Queen Mary is supposed to be world class too. Personally, I would go for Maths.

As my A level maths teacher pointed out many CEOs of world leading organisations held a Maths degree.

Original post by WeeGuy
Mathematics has a wider career choice than economics.. Banking, Engineering, Computing etc.

so for that reason QMUL.

Is it better if I just do Maths on its own or Maths with something else? I know for Econ, its better if its Economics on its own.
QMUL is doing Maths, Stats and Financial Economics.. or would it be better if I just do Maths on its own?

Depends if you prefer breadth or depth. Are you better at learning one thing in depth or three things less so?

As for your choices QM has a better general rep than City though there isn't much between them really.

Are you holding clearing offers or were these your firm/insurance choices

Th Maths/stats/eco sounds good given your interests

I imagine it would be easier to shift from maths to the mixed course than vice versa once you are there

I supposed if you like BOTH, maths and economics, then the Stats and Financial Economics would be the better option as I ASSUME that it incorporates maths and economics. But, if you can't decide between the subjects, which subject (maths or economics), in your opinion, are you leaning more to? If it is Economics, then try to find a mainly economics based course, and vice versa with maths.

A quick Google search in City University of combined maths and economics showed me this;
http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/financial-economics#course-detail=1

Have a look at the content structure and see if you like it.
Hope I helped =)
Reply 13

I would say Maths (purely because maths is awesome) as a subject but I personally didn't like Queen Mary, but obviously that's just me and you have to go where you feel happiest. It's not only the subject that matters - go where you'll be happiest! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Are you holding clearing offers or were these your firm/insurance choices

Th Maths/stats/eco sounds good given your interests

I imagine it would be easier to shift from maths to the mixed course than vice versa once you are there

Queen Mary was actually my firm but rejected since I didnt meet the offer. I am having a priority remark and told them about it; the guy from the econ dept told me they'd hold my place until I get the remarked grade back. I have an unconditional offer from City for Econ.

I really wanted to go to QMUL hence why I was wondering if a Maths degree with them would be better than an Economics at City.

I know my case sounds ridiculous but should I wait till I get my remarked back rather than phone in now and see if I can get into Maths course?
Queen Mary was actually my firm but rejected since I didnt meet the offer. I am having a priority remark and told them about it; the guy from the econ dept told me they'd hold my place until I get the remarked grade back. I have an unconditional offer from City for Econ.

I really wanted to go to QMUL hence why I was wondering if a Maths degree with them would be better than an Economics at City.

I know my case sounds ridiculous but should I wait till I get my remarked back rather than phone in now and see if I can get into Maths course?

Ok

complicated :smile:

So - you were an economics candidate but did not get the grades
You want QMUL but may have to change course

Is that right

Why not call QMUL and ask if they would accept you onto the mixed maths degree with your current grades
Reply 16
Ok

complicated :smile:

So - you were an economics candidate but did not get the grades
You want QMUL but may have to change course

Is that right

Why not call QMUL and ask if they would accept you onto the mixed maths degree with your current grades

Yea, thats right! I gonna do that and see what happens. But just in case my remarked comes back and I get higher grade, do you reckon I can switch back to Econ again, the guy did say that he would hold my place?
Yea, thats right! I gonna do that and see what happens. But just in case my remarked comes back and I get higher grade, do you reckon I can switch back to Econ again, the guy did say that he would hold my place?

I am suggesting that you just ask

Make it clear that Eco is still your first choice but the you are very keen on QMUL

Ask if you can speak to someone about the maths/stats/finance to see if it would be suitable if the re-mark is no good
Reply 18
I am suggesting that you just ask

Make it clear that Eco is still your first choice but the you are very keen on QMUL

Ask if you can speak to someone about the maths/stats/finance to see if it would be suitable if the re-mark is no good

I phoned them unfortunately I did it a bit late so they didn't have anymore places. However the lady that I spoke to from the maths dept said that as soon as a place opened up they will phone me and let me know. She also said that if I my remarked goes up to a B from a C then the uni will definitely take me for either Econ or Maths. So I still have hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I phoned them unfortunately I did it a bit late so they didn't have anymore places. However the lady that I spoke to from the maths dept said that as soon as a place opened up they will phone me and let me know. She also said that if I my remarked goes up to a B from a C then the uni will definitely take me for either Econ or Maths. So I still have hope!

Fingers Crossed for the re-mark :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending