The Student Room Group

Desperately need advice on what to do next - bad AS results

In my AS results I got D in media, B in English and a C in Spanish. I think my predicted grades were something like ABC, so I wasn't DRASTICALLY far off, I still passed, but they were bad enough for me and my family to be seriously disappointed. Needless to say I tried my absolute hardest.

I don't know what to do next, do I go back to sixth form and work my absolute ARSE off for the next year, as I need at least a BBB to get into even my back up course (Mandarin and Linguistics), never mind ABB for my first choice course.

My mother suggested me finding a college course, and the only one I could find that remotely interested me was a beauty therapy one, purely because I'm quite good at that kind of stuff. I know I'm better than that though and being a beautician or hairdresser isn't exactly what I want to do in life.

There's no one I can talk to at my sixth form because... there's no one there atm. All I'm thinking is that I know i've already tried as hard as I can and still ended up with bum grades, what if my A Level results turn out just as bad and waste the year.

I just need advice, please.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aloharosie
In my AS results I got D in media, B in English and a C in media. I think my predicted grades were something like ABC, so I wasn't DRASTICALLY far off, I still passed, but they were bad enough for me and my family to be seriously disappointed. Needless to say I tried my absolute hardest.

I don't know what to do next, do I go back to sixth form and work my absolute ARSE off for the next year, as I need at least a BBB to get into even my back up course (Mandarin and Linguistics), never mind ABB for my first choice course.

My mother suggested me finding a college course, and the only one I could find that remotely interested me was a beauty therapy one, purely because I'm quite good at that kind of stuff. I know I'm better than that though and being a beautician or hairdresser isn't exactly what I want to do in life.

There's no one I can talk to at my sixth form because... there's no one there atm. All I'm thinking is that I know i've already tried as hard as I can and still ended up with bum grades, what if my A Level results turn out just as bad and waste the year.

I just need advice, please.

I'm sorry for how you're feeling atm, however these results are not the end of the world. Getting your grades up next year can be done, and many people do achieve much better form poor AS to good A2 results, however, as you said you tried your absolute hardest this year it will be very tough. Maybe Sixth Form just isn't for you, I don't know if you enjoyed AS? Your Mums suggestion was reasonable, but if you don't really want to become a hairdresser/beautician than please don't do it. There is nothing worse then doing a course you don't like or don't have your heart fully in. If you are going to study at Sixth Form next year maybe try getting a private tutor? They could really help you boost your grade, especially if your teachers at school are bad. xxx

Quick Reply

Latest