The Student Room Group

Please help, best units to retake

Hey all,

Baically i just finished my alevels and got a grade C overall in Sociology which i wasnt to happy about:angry:

I am currently on a gap year and was thinking of retaking some sociology units to try and get an A/A* since that's what the uni i want to go to requires. I know retaking units will put me at a disadvantage, but that's the risk i am willing to take:mad:

Anyway for Unit 1 Sociology i got a grade C (50 marks)
Unit 2 (Education Paper) i got a grade B (86 marks i believe)
Unit 3 i got an E :mad: (38 Marks)
Unit 4 i got an B (84 marks)

What papers do you reckon i need to retake to get an A/A* overall...

I am deffo going to retake Unit 3, but not sure what else is worthy to retake?
Reply 1
Original post by sammyvine
Hey all,

Baically i just finished my alevels and got a grade C overall in Sociology which i wasnt to happy about:angry:

I am currently on a gap year and was thinking of retaking some sociology units to try and get an A/A* since that's what the uni i want to go to requires. I know retaking units will put me at a disadvantage, but that's the risk i am willing to take:mad:

Anyway for Unit 1 Sociology i got a grade C (50 marks)
Unit 2 (Education Paper) i got a grade B (86 marks i believe)
Unit 3 i got an E :mad: (38 Marks)
Unit 4 i got an B (84 marks)

What papers do you reckon i need to retake to get an A/A* overall...

I am deffo going to retake Unit 3, but not sure what else is worthy to retake?

Units 3 and 4 and maybe unit 1 as well
Not sure what each unit is out if but definitely unit 1, if you want an A that would probably be enough but for an A* unit 4 also needs retaking too really.
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
Units 3 and 4 and maybe unit 1 as well

Hmmm this is what i find strange......

People were telling to retake Unit 1, 2 & 3 and leave Unit 4?

I just want some advice as i may not need to retake all 4 units to get an A, plus i dont want to retake the ones that are not important.
Reply 4
Original post by Pterodactyl
Not sure what each unit is out if but definitely unit 1, if you want an A that would probably be enough but for an A* unit 4 also needs retaking too really.

I need to retake Unit 3 as its an E of course......

Just confused what to retake out of units 1,2& 4

Unit 1 is worth the least i think (out of 60), as the education paper was worth more marks (out of 90 i believe)
Reply 5

I just want some advice as i may not need to retake all 4 units to get an A, plus i dont want to retake the ones that are not important.

Smash unit 1 to pieces to get 80% at AS-level

get 90% at A2, your best chance of doing this is unit 3 and 4. You did say A*/A so this is the best way although its a lot of retakes.

it would be better for us to know your UMS rather than raw marks
Reply 6
Original post by Pterodactyl

Hey i might as well need your help too i flunked big time on my chemistry biology and physics .
well i was planning to do dentistry in one of the unis in dubai and they asked me for a C in bio n chem A/s . YES thats right only a/s im not sure if there are other unis that do the same too but anyways . I got an E for chem and bio
for one of the units in chem i got an E and a D and a B
amd for bio i got an E DD i guess im talking about a/s here . Should i take only a/s chem and bio and forget about the rest including a2 . If so incase if i dont get accepted even next year ill have to wait another year for completing my A2 and thats sooo not what i want to go through you know :/ :angry::mad::frown:
Reply 7
Smash unit 1 to pieces to get 80% at AS-level

get 90% at A2, your best chance of doing this is unit 3 and 4. You did say A*/A so this is the best way although its a lot of retakes.

it would be better for us to know your UMS rather than raw marks

I think my ums marks were

Unit 1 - 50
Unit 2 - 86
Unit 3 - 38
Unit 4 - 84
Reply 8
I think my ums marks were

Unit 1 - 50
Unit 2 - 86
Unit 3 - 38
Unit 4 - 84

Huh? Was it on a different scale of ums? out of what?

90% - A* at A2

80% - A

70% - B etc

what were all of them out of ?
Reply 9

I didn't do sociology but if unit 2 and 4 are equally difficult or you want an A*, resit 1, 3 and 4 as those are your lower units.
Reply 10

90% - A* at A2

80% - A

70% - B etc

That's what it sayings on my sheet
I think unit 2 &4 are out of 120
And unit 1&2 are out of 90
Reply 11
Original post by Exon
I didn't do sociology but if unit 2 and 4 are equally difficult or you want an A*, resit 1, 3 and 4 as those are your lower units.

hmmm maybe

i was thinking units 2,3&4
Reply 12
Reply 13

90% - A* at A2

80% - A

70% - B etc

Unit 1 & 3 - 90

unit 2 & 4 - 120

Quick Reply

Latest