The Student Room Group

Are Universities notified about a student's dyslexia?

csddfxsfgv
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No - make sure you make them aware of it as soon as you can. Hopefully your Uni will have a student/learning support service that can help you. Also talk to the examinations office if you need extra time for exams. Do it ASAP because it'll save a lot of time & hassle later.

I'm not speaking from experience because I'm not dyslexic, but a friend of mine from Uni is. She got it all sorted & got a free laptop as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Oh I didn't really read your post - I thought you were dyslexic and asking for info! Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PotterLaw
Oh I didn't really read your post - I thought you were dyslexic and asking for info! Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

For clarification, I am not dyslexic but do believe I could easily fake such a test but morally object to it
Reply 4
I think the referee may mention it.

But when they get to university, i believe they have to do further 'tests' to see if they are eligible for extra timing (Due to ET being a massive difference come exams within university)

Also i agree, its actually very easy to 'cheat' the system. My friend receives extra time because hes Chinese, even though he was born in this freaking country! He got 8 A*'s at Gcses and still claims to the support staff 'he struggles to process text' BULLCRAP!
I think another of my classmate, just went in to get Extra time to, simply because he wanted the extra time for his a level exams.
Reply 5
dsfds
(edited 10 years ago)
You have to have an official evaluation completed on you by a psychiatrist before you are allowed to have the 'benefits' that a dyslexia sufferer is entitled to. However, I think your view point is very close minded - dyslexia sufferers are not stupid they just have specific troubles processing things to do with the English language. I know some very clever dyslexia sufferers at work and it is just known that they need a bit more time writing stuff and shouldn't be asked to proof read things and that's fine because you know what, there are some other people who are great at writing reports and proof-reading who are pretty crap at the practical things the dyslexic people are great at. Everyone's different, employers know that and will work to take full advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of their team. So, stop being such a fool and accept that people shouldn't be differentiated against because they have trouble forming their words.
Reply 7
Original post by hothedgehog
You have to have an official evaluation completed on you by a psychiatrist before you are allowed to have the 'benefits' that a dyslexia sufferer is entitled to. However, I think your view point is very close minded - dyslexia sufferers are not stupid they just have specific troubles processing things to do with the English language. I know some very clever dyslexia sufferers at work and it is just known that they need a bit more time writing stuff and shouldn't be asked to proof read things and that's fine because you know what, there are some other people who are great at writing reports and proof-reading who are pretty crap at the practical things the dyslexic people are great at. Everyone's different, employers know that and will work to take full advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of their team. So, stop being such a fool and accept that people shouldn't be differentiated against because they have trouble forming their words.

At my school all you have to do is ask the support staff to give you a short dyslexia test and you will get extra time if you are found to be dyslexic. Many people I know purposely failed the test to get extra timing. I don't think OP is saying dyslexic people are stupid, just too many people exploit the system, and if it is an issue where extra time is needed, then the university certainly should know about it to, presuming you will need extra time in your university exams too.
Reply 8
jjj
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by htr5
Thanks for sharing. One of the reasons as to why I hold this opinion is because there are so many 'dyslexics' at my school and asking them how the extra time helps, they all say they finish the exam well before that and don't need the extra time but instead use it to check their answers. I'd like 25% extra or even 5 hours extra to check my answers. It isn't fair on others. The Chinese friend I mentioned says he finishes 2 hours exams in 30 minutes yet is granted extra time. This doesn't express the strength of these 'official evaluations' that should be expected.

Original post by CoolCat94
At my school all you have to do is ask the support staff to give you a short dyslexia test and you will get extra time if you are found to be dyslexic. Many people I know purposely failed the test to get extra timing. I don't think OP is saying dyslexic people are stupid, just too many people exploit the system, and if it is an issue where extra time is needed, then the university certainly should know about it to, presuming you will need extra time in your university exams too.

Well, to both of these responses, your school should stop cheating the system. However, at a university level you will have to have an official piece of documentation from a qualified psychologist to get DSA and extra time etc so don't feel like your degree has been undervalued. Anyway, I expect there is more to the cases you talk about than meets the eye to you.
Original post by hothedgehog
Well, to both of these responses, your school should stop cheating the system. However, at a university level you will have to have an official piece of documentation from a qualified psychologist to get DSA and extra time etc so don't feel like your degree has been undervalued. Anyway, I expect there is more to the cases you talk about than meets the eye to you.

I'm glad at university level it's sorted properly. And there literally isn't, because it's so easy to cheat, people just do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by htr5
Same here, I have a Chinese friend who couldn't speak English very well, sure that's fine because you immigrated to the country not speaking a word of English like I did, but that was 10 years ago. Surly an A grade in English is enough to remove this luxury.

He also gets his own room, 25% extra time and anything else he wants.

That's quite a sweeping statement really. If he wanted to have literally hundreds of cats follow him as he went about his daily routine I sincerely doubt his Uni could sort the logistics of that. Therefore that statement is invalid.

Quick Reply

Latest