The Student Room Group

Will Radio 1 grow up?

Radio 1 has become irritatingly dull. From Greg James' 'going home song' and Matt Edmondson's 'pie-tennis' to the repetitive drivel of the playlist, the daytime schedule makes for painful listening.

Since Ben Cooper became controller a few years ago, they have been intentionally driving out the mature listener - supposedly the over 30s - but at 21 my friends and I are feeling patronised by what the station provides. I've stuck with it because I'm a big fan of Scott Mills (although when he goes, I'm going too) but many people I know are moving over to Kiss or 1Extra, so surely R1 are losing listeners with this policy. I just can't understand why driving out existing listeners is a good way of finding a new audience - surely it would be better to build on your existing base.

However, all that said, the evening schedule is pretty good and relevant (with the exception of Zane Lowe), so maybe some of those programmes should be included in the schedule?

Anyone have the same feeling as me on all this?
Reply 1
Original post by nickth
Radio 1 has become irritatingly dull. From Greg James' 'going home song' and Matt Edmondson's 'pie-tennis' to the repetitive drivel of the playlist, the daytime schedule makes for painful listening.

Since Ben Cooper became controller a few years ago, they have been intentionally driving out the mature listener - supposedly the over 30s - but at 21 my friends and I are feeling patronised by what the station provides. I've stuck with it because I'm a big fan of Scott Mills (although when he goes, I'm going too) but many people I know are moving over to Kiss or 1Extra, so surely R1 are losing listeners with this policy. I just can't understand why driving out existing listeners is a good way of finding a new audience - surely it would be better to build on your existing base.

However, all that said, the evening schedule is pretty good and relevant (with the exception of Zane Lowe), so maybe some of those programmes should be included in the schedule?

Anyone have the same feeling as me on all this?

Greg James, Sara Cox, Huw Stephens and Fearne Cotton are really good DJs I think, although I hate that going home show. Pie tennis is a good laugh.

Zane Lowe is brilliant, probably has the best show! He announces brand new music, what's not to love?
Reply 2
It won't grow up, but you will. I'm afraid you can expect to feel this sort of thing a lot more as you get older.
Reply 3
This happens to every generation as they get older. They move from Radio 1 to R.2 and others.

I'm feeling the effect too, mind. I always used to like it because it does vary it's music taste quite a bit. It's not just the same 5 songs like Capital FM or Real Radio do.
Reply 4
Original post by gumtrees
This happens to every generation as they get older. They move from Radio 1 to R.2 and others.

I'm feeling the effect too, mind. I always used to like it because it does vary it's music taste quite a bit. It's not just the same 5 songs like Capital FM or Real Radio do.

That's what I love, is that I can actually listen to decent music on Radio 1.

One thing that puts people off is that they talk a lot and a lot of teens are just like "Shut up and play the hits". Which is fair enough, I think they should cut the chit chat a little, but the banter is sometimes class on there
No, it won't. Because it's public funded they're constantly under pressure to have shows/stations that appeal to different age groups.

At least Chris Moyles has gone! I remember listening to him whilst walking to school when I was about 12 and thinking how immature and unfunny the whole show was. These days I don't mind radio 1 in the background. The talk is certainly much better than the music.

Scott Mills is by far my favourite though.
It's an absolutely terrible radio station and is beyond crap and repetitive, I have no idea how this station can be in any way fulfilling for anybody, it's seriously dire.

Reply 7
Not a fan of Radio 1, that said I rarely listen to the radio all that often to be honest.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's an absolutely terrible radio station and is beyond crap and repetitive, I have no idea how this station can be in any way fulfilling for anybody, it's seriously dire.

David Firth is hilarious, ever since the days of Devvo!

Quick Reply

Latest