The Student Room Group

A level results, Uni results; job

I recently got my A level results, they weren't the best but not bad; B (In Bio) C C, in Bio, Chem and Economics, I was proud of them because they represent progression for me.

I have been confirmed into Nottingham uni for Biotech, but I am wondering how my average A level results may affect me in the future, lets say I manage to get a 1 st in uni ? (In terms of getting a job)

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to retake the year to get higher grades ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
If you are already accepted into uni why would you want to retake a year?

If you get a 1st at your degree that will stand above your A level grades :smile:
Reply 2
Some of the big graduate schemes (Deloitte, Accenture, etc) ask for a minimum number of UCAS points in addition to a 2:1 degree - Deloitte for example asks for about 300. So you'd be a bit short on that. But it's literally just the big city firms and the very banking/economics focused graduate schemes. As a biotech graduate I can't imagine you would be looking at schemes where they have very high A Level requirements. GlaxoSmithKline for example just want a 2:1 degree.
Reply 3
Original post by moutonfou
Some of the big graduate schemes (Deloitte, Accenture, etc) ask for a minimum number of UCAS points in addition to a 2:1 degree - Deloitte for example asks for about 300. So you'd be a bit short on that. But it's literally just the big city firms and the very banking/economics focused graduate schemes. As a biotech graduate I can't imagine you would be looking at schemes where they have very high A Level requirements. GlaxoSmithKline for example just want a 2:1 degree.

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 4
Original post by Dingo749
If you are already accepted into uni why would you want to retake a year?

If you get a 1st at your degree that will stand above your A level grades :smile:

Thanks for the reply!
Original post by StudyingHelp
I recently got my A level results, they weren't the best but not bad; B (In Bio) C C, in Bio, Chem and Economics, I was proud of them because they represent progression for me.

I have been confirmed into Nottingham uni for Biotech, but I am wondering how my average A level results may affect me in the future, lets say I manage to get a 1 st in uni ? (In terms of getting a job)

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to retake the year to get higher grades ?

No go to uni and do well :smile: Retaking would waste time.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to retake the year to higher grades ?

Science degree from Nottingham. Provided you get a 2.1 or above you will be very much in demand. For you your absolute priority is doing well in your degree. Try to go over every lecture handout when you get home that same evening and again with extra research (textbook and in later years journals) during the weekend. Recognise that university is full of distractions and though an amazing experience you have to do well otherwise it's a very expensive holiday camp. Time Management is by far the most important skill you can have so work on that. You'll be fine as long as you are committed, but make no mistake about it a life science degree will be much more difficult than A Level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Complex Simplicity
Science degree from Nottingham. Provided you get a 2.1 or above you will be very much in demand. For you your absolute priority is doing well in your degree. Try to go over every lecture handout when you get home that same evening and again with extra research (textbook and in later years journals) during the weekend. Recognise that university is full of distractions and though an amazing experience you have to do well otherwise it's a very expensive holiday camp. Time Management is by far the most important skill you can have so work on that. You'll be fine as long as you are committed, but make no mistake about it a life science degree will be much more difficult than A Level

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is the best advice, i've got yet, pretty similar to what I have learned from A2....I was wondering if it isn't too much trouble, is there anything else I could do to ensure good grades in uni ? curious because although I'm more confident now on how to go about my studies, this won't be like a level with a set curriculum I'm guessing ?
I think that is the best advice, i've got yet, pretty similar to what I have learned from A2....I was wondering if it isn't too much trouble, is there anything else I could do to ensure good grades in uni ? curious because although I'm more confident now on how to go about my studies, this won't be like a level with a set curriculum I'm guessing ?

Take great notes during lectures ie clear, concise yet detailed
Ensure you fully understand the content after each lecture
Go over the same topic after one day, one week, one month and three months

Uni is basically similar to A Level in a way just on a much larger scale, you simply have to ensure you know and understand what is being taught and keep going over it. The amount you go out and the amount of time you spend doing society based activities should be based around your studying. If you can handle going out lots yet getting all the required work done then so be it, if you can't then you go out far less often. You basically have to be smart not just clever but find out what best works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest