The Student Room Group

Failed A-levels, Now allowed to continue at school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Octohedral

Spoiler

ohhhh

what are you on now, or have you finished?
Original post by JPL9457
ohhhh

what are you on now, or have you finished?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Show them this thread, you seem it give a **** about your results so there is hope.
i'm kind of in a similar situation atm. i'm currently taking Maths,Business and Accounting. Having an D D E ( same order as the subjects listed) I am very disappointed in myself as my teachers and i expected much higer :/ . A's and B's. I don't know what to do, should i resit my As during A2? Any suggestions would mean the world to me. Thank you ever so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlueArmy-CFC
i'm kind of in a similar situation atm. i'm currently taking Maths,Business and Accounting. Having an D D E ( same order as the subjects listed) I am very disappointed in myself as my teachers and i expected much higer :/ . A's and B's. I don't know what to do, should i resit my As during A2? Any suggestions would mean the world to me. Thank you ever so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had BCCE at AS and resat 4 papers in jan to pull it up to ABBE (the e was in maths and didn't improve..) but your situation is different as you don't have jan exams. If you can identify where it went wrong and can manage lots of exams in June it can be done. Would you be completely opposed to the idea of repeating the year because that seems like the most realistic option for you right now
(edited 10 years ago)
That's the thing, i don't want to resit an entire year :frown:
Reply 46
Original post by Octohedral

Spoiler

congrats, a 2:1 is still great though, after all, it is from Oxford

oh and im thinking of applying for maths, but i need to see how well i do in my AS subjects

is it true that for maths at oxford, they dont really care about your GCSEs?
Reply 47
Original post by cherrys<3
Show them this thread, you seem it give a **** about your results so there is hope.

Honestly, the teacher i am relying on letting me back onto maths HATES me...with a passion, and she always has. She hates me because she thinks i don't care at all and don't do any work. And she had a fair point because i didn't do enough, but she vastly exaggerated it and when i was set for an A* at gcse and got it she was very sarcastic(?) about it and i think it annoyed her. she actually said numerous times she had no idea how i got it and she said there was no justice in the world. Her hatred for me slowly turned into a strong mutual hatred which resulted in me loathing going to her lessons and therefore doing even less work. Most teachers i see around school i acknowledge, but when i walk past her there is a very awkward glance from us both and she almost always has something to moan about.
Original post by JPL9457
congrats, a 2:1 is still great though, after all, it is from Oxford

oh and im thinking of applying for maths, but i need to see how well i do in my AS subjects

is it true that for maths at oxford, they dont really care about your GCSEs?

Spoiler

Edit: Feel free to ask anything about the admissions process, but I think it would be better to do it by PM, because it's not really fair on the OP. (That's why I've been spoilering stuff). If not, good luck again!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
When you say you have to stop being unbelieavably lazy you have to mean it. And that does not mean put in 100% more work, because if you were lazy that means you did very little I am assuming, so you have to crank it up like 1000% more work, dedication and effort. Getting into a routine helps. For example when you come home do you watch tv or do you do homework, write essays, read ahead in the book?

Your strength seems to lie in less mathsy subjects like Geography and Economics. I would stick to subjects like that and drop maths and physics completely. I am saying this from the point of view that I did physics myself and I just got U's in my A2 exams when I got a B at AS. A2 physics is 10X harder than you would believe and I gave up everything to study for it.
Reply 50
Yeah don't do physics unless you wanna study something physics based or engineering at uni because the subject is quite hard, and most physics teachers are very poor. Also no offence but you can't be that intelligent if you got U's. Retake your AS levels for a year because if you apply to uni next year you won't get offers from any good ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depending on what subject you want to do, an NVQ / Btec is another option.
Reply 52
Original post by ladynova
When you say you have to stop being unbelieavably lazy you have to mean it. And that does not mean put in 100% more work, because if you were lazy that means you did very little I am assuming, so you have to crank it up like 1000% more work, dedication and effort. Getting into a routine helps. For example when you come home do you watch tv or do you do homework, write essays, read ahead in the book?

Your strength seems to lie in less mathsy subjects like Geography and Economics. I would stick to subjects like that and drop maths and physics completely. I am saying this from the point of view that I did physics myself and I just got U's in my A2 exams when I got a B at AS. A2 physics is 10X harder than you would believe and I gave up everything to study for it.

I really do mean it when i say i won't be as lazy. I've accepted it's not my personality to be incredibly hard working, but i am at least going to try and i know i can at least put in a good amount of effort. I will be (and i'm being forced to) drop physics and maths, it's not that i'm bad at them as i got a* in both at GCSE and that's why i chose them because they were my best subjects. I just realised i have absolutely zero interest in them and, unlike gcse, you have to fully pay attention to everything to do well. At GCSE it was possible to not really know anything but still get by by knowing just the basic principles. But seeing what they are like at a level there is no way i'm going to try again...just not for me :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by ElChapo
Yeah don't do physics unless you wanna study something physics based or engineering at uni because the subject is quite hard, and most physics teachers are very poor. Also no offence but you can't be that intelligent if you got U's. Retake your AS levels for a year because if you apply to uni next year you won't get offers from any good ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence taken :smile: I'm not saying i'm a genius, and i know it looks like i'm not too bright at all and i fully understand that. But when i say i did NO homework AT ALL and daydreaming almost all lesson every lesson i am NOT exaggerating at all. for the amount of work i did i am lucky i got anything at all. The reason i am so annoyed is because, without wanting to sound too arrogant, i could have got very good grades, but instead got very poor grades due to a total lack of effort.

If it means anything i did a quick IQ in a lesson once to settle a bet with my friend, i got around 140, which is above average, and i think it shows i should be getting decent grades.
Reply 54
Original post by d0mm
No offence taken :smile: I'm not saying i'm a genius, and i know it looks like i'm not too bright at all and i fully understand that. But when i say i did NO homework AT ALL and daydreaming almost all lesson every lesson i am NOT exaggerating at all. for the amount of work i did i am lucky i got anything at all. The reason i am so annoyed is because, without wanting to sound too arrogant, i could have got very good grades, but instead got very poor grades due to a total lack of effort.

If it means anything i did a quick IQ in a lesson once to settle a bet with my friend, i got around 140, which is above average, and i think it shows i should be getting decent grades.

If you didn't pay attention in lesson and didnt do much out of it I dont know how you expected anything, retake the year if you're prepared to do work. Or join a college and take up a BTEC or vocational course is my advice to you
Original post by d0mm
Sorry, these are my AS-Levels, not A levels

Maths-u
Physics-u
Geography-D
Economics-D

Please do not slate me. It was 150% my fault. Without wanting to sound arrogant, i am very clever, and i terms of natural intelligence I would definitely be up there in the top of the school. you're probably thinking i'm not-but trust me i am. Please don't slate me like i have seen on other threads, i'm feeling really low right now and you'll just have to take my word for it. My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.

But i do want to go to uni, but i have been kicked out my school. What options do i have? Whatever i do i will definitely not be as unbelievably lazy as i was this year, and i can get some decent results one day i hope.

I'm going to speak with the school tomorrow, but what can i do? Preferably i would like to go uni next year and not start from scratch by re-doing the year at collage

All help is appreciated.

1. Genuinely clever people don't get those grades, even if they put little effort in. So stop kidding yourself.

2. You don't sound that worthy of another chance if you slept in classes etc how disrespectful is that?

3. I would give up on 'uni'. Unless you want to study a mickey mouse subject at a mickey mouse university. Go get a job.

4. If A levels are not for you, University is not for you. Go get a job.

5. Stop pissing around, go get the job, academic studies = not for you. You have obtained the results you deserve.
Original post by University of Derby
Thank you for your question.

I have recommended predominantly Access or Foundation courses.

However, depending on the attitude and level of interest of the individual calling, we may accept them with lower grades than what is usually expected during the Clearing period.

This is at the discretion of the academic leading the relevant course or subject area. But it is worth giving a try.

Joe Parker
[email protected]

You would take them with UUDD? Are you a proper University? Whatever happened to 'academic excellence' - or are the fees more important?
Reply 57
Original post by ChuckSchuldiner

What I've learned is that this 'natural intelligence' means almost nothing in school. Everything is so formulaic and mark scheme based that hard work is what pays off. You get out of life what you put in, no one cares about your intelligence if you don't use it. Whatever you go on to do I hope that you learn that. I'm only saying that because 1) You came across as very smug with that statement and 2) I always used to think I was intelligent too, so I know what you mean.

This so much. Lost count of all the people I see saying they got so and so on an IQ test, they started reading before everyone else, they could be top of the class if they could be bothered etc. So why are they aged 29 and living in their mum's basement with no job?
Reply 58
Original post by Azarimanka
You would take them with UUDD? Are you a proper University? Whatever happened to 'academic excellence' - or are the fees more important?

Ghost of ISA.
Original post by peter12345
Ghost of ISA.

Valid point I think you'll find. Universities shouldn't accept dullards.

Quick Reply

Latest