The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Computer science at queen mary

Hi guys who has gotten a place at queen mary for bsc computer science? Worried ill b the only girl! Lol :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mee, I'm trying to change my course to do it with a year in industry at the moment. Don't worry though, I don't think you'll be the only girl haha.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by userage
Mee, I'm trying to change my course to do it with a year in industry at the moment. Don't worry though, I don't think you'll be the only girl haha.

Heheehe hope not
Reply 3
Original post by shahnazy
Me! and i'm a girl

Hi! Nice meet you!
Relieved I'm not the only one :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ummi1
Hi guys who has gotten a place at queen mary for bsc computer science? Worried ill b the only girl! Lol :colondollar:

Well honestly, its a course with a few girls, but it isn't as bad as in engineering, so you'll be fine

Original post by userage

Don't worry about the change, you can do it when you get there as well
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
Well honestly, its a course with a few girls, but it isn't as bad as in engineering, so you'll be fine

Don't worry about the change, you can do it when you get there as well

Hi, so did you know how to program before the course? As I've gotten an offer in clearing as im quite interested in CS but don't know how to programme at all. Also how hard is the degree? Have you done any work experience? Do queen mary help you with finding work experience etc.

Thankyou
Reply 6
Original post by ummi1
Hi, so did you know how to program before the course? As I've gotten an offer in clearing as im quite interested in CS but don't know how to programme at all. Also how hard is the degree? Have you done any work experience? Do queen mary help you with finding work experience etc.

Thankyou

Nope, the first main programming module is quite easy, so is the 2nd semester website building one, except for object orientated programming which builds on the first easy module, but its really hard which i would say is down to the crappy teaching so you'd need to learn it yourself, as the one you learn in 1st semester is taught by the best lecturer there literally everyone can do it as a result of his teaching style.

Depends on how much work you put in, the main worry is that 2nd semester module and possibly the maths modules if you cant do statistics.
Work experience pretty much you, unless you do a year in industry, otherwise you'll have to go and ask for support but that support will be mainly mock interviews, etc.
Reply 7
Nope, the first main programming module is quite easy, so is the 2nd semester website building one, except for object orientated programming which builds on the first easy module, but its really hard which i would say is down to the crappy teaching so you'd need to learn it yourself, as the one you learn in 1st semester is taught by the best lecturer there literally everyone can do it as a result of his teaching style.

Depends on how much work you put in, the main worry is that 2nd semester module and possibly the maths modules if you cant do statistics.
Work experience pretty much you, unless you do a year in industry, otherwise you'll have to go and ask for support but that support will be mainly mock interviews, etc.

So the teaching is really bad?
Reply 8
Original post by ummi1

Hey buddy Your not the only girl doing computer science, So am I lol. Have you booked accommodation. I just did it today. I'm in pooley hoouse :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Rajvir
Hey buddy Your not the only girl doing computer science, So am I lol. Have you booked accommodation. I just did it today. I'm in pooley hoouse :biggrin:

Hiya! I live in london so don't need accommodation. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ummi1
So the teaching is really bad?

Just on that one module, its appalling.....object orientated programming in 2nd semester, literally everyone hates him yet they keep him, he gets the lowest scores in the end of semester votes on teaching, etc. His name is Pascuela or something.......he put me off so much.......where as the main programming module in 1st semester for procedural programming is the complete opposite and amazing. Also some of the module names may have changed.
Reply 11
Just on that one module, its appalling.....object orientated programming in 2nd semester, literally everyone hates him yet they keep him, he gets the lowest scores in the end of semester votes on teaching, etc. His name is Pascuela or something.......he put me off so much.......where as the main programming module in 1st semester for procedural programming is the complete opposite and amazing. Also some of the module names may have changed.

Oh ok so it's just that one module. Which year are you in?
Reply 12
Original post by ummi1
Hiya! I live in london so don't need accommodation. :smile:

Oh okay, well I'll be seeing you in lectures lol :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Rajvir
Oh okay, well I'll be seeing you in lectures lol :smile:

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Reply 14

Also what do you take notes on? Do you use a laptop, pen and paper?
Sorry to keep bothering you :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by ummi1
Hi! Nice meet you!
Relieved I'm not the only one :smile:

Me too :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by ummi1
Oh ok so it's just that one module. Which year are you in?

Well in my opinion thats the worst, the others are ok, but I don't do all comp sci modules as I do comp eng.
Going into 3rd year.
Reply 17
I got CCcd grades, including a C in Computing and Maths. What's the chances of me getting in to QMUL via clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I'll also be taking Comp Sci at QM this September.
Reply 19
Original post by kleptomaniac
Hello! I'll also be taking Comp Sci at QM this September.

Hi! Nice to meet you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending