The Student Room Group

BBBC at AS - Med still an option?

AS results are as follows.

Bio - B
English Lit - B
History - B
Chem - C

I have good GCSE's. I understand that some med schools don't put emphasis on AS grades, and these are the ones I'll be applying for. I was 22 and 31 UMS off an A in Bio and Chem respectively, and 7 and 2 UMS off an A for English Lit and History especially. In the sciences, I had an A in BY1 and CH2 but a D in BY2 and CH2. I was predicted AAAA for AS, I had no idea what happened. I am recounting history due to its borderline A status, and am thinking about taking the two science modules in which I had a D in again in January (I'm a Welsh student so the reforms haven't hit us). Hopefully after these, I'll have AAA in Chem, Bio and History, with a B in English lit.

My tutors have agreed to predict me AAA for next year, in Chem, Bio and History, leaving me with a B in AS English Lit. Can I get some advice? I have booked my UKCAT and have done the relevant work experience. I just want to know if Medicine is still a possibility, and if the resits are worth it? I'm resitting to try and make next year easier, but any advice on weather it is worth taking them will be greatly appreciated. I understand a lot of people have posted similar threads, but I'm naturally worried and have been unable to find a thread similar to my situation in particular. Thanks to whoever is kind enough to answer this.
You're going to have an uphill struggle to try to pull your grades up and some universities will be concerned about the reliability of your predicted grades, but it is still possible. However, bear in mind that your lowest marks were in the sciences, and if you get an offer you will be required to pull your marks up significantly to get an A.
If you have good work experience, an excellent personal statement, reference, UKCAT score and interview then you do have a chance, but you will really have to work hard over the next year.
In terms of resitting, is it really worth resitting english lit? You may be able to gain the extra 7 UMS by requesting a remark, and many universities aren't particularly interested in the 4th AS grade when it isn't at all related to the degree. I would definitely resit the history though, since you need as many UMS as possible to get an A overall and if you could gain an extra 10 or so in the retake it's less pressure on your A2 modules. And definitely resit your D science modules - again you can gain a lot of UMS marks by doing this, taking pressure off your A2 exams.
Reply 2
Original post by JackC
AS results are as follows.

Bio - B
English Lit - B
History - B
Chem - C

I have good GCSE's. I understand that some med schools don't put emphasis on AS grades, and these are the ones I'll be applying for. I was 22 and 31 UMS off an A in Bio and Chem respectively, and 7 and 2 UMS off an A for English Lit and History especially. In the sciences, I had an A in BY1 and CH2 but a D in BY2 and CH2. I was predicted AAAA for AS, I had no idea what happened. I am recounting history due to its borderline A status, and am thinking about taking the two science modules in which I had a D in again in January (I'm a Welsh student so the reforms haven't hit us). Hopefully after these, I'll have AAA in Chem, Bio and History, with a B in English lit.

My tutors have agreed to predict me AAA for next year, in Chem, Bio and History, leaving me with a B in AS English Lit. Can I get some advice? I have booked my UKCAT and have done the relevant work experience. I just want to know if Medicine is still a possibility, and if the resits are worth it? I'm resitting to try and make next year easier, but any advice on weather it is worth taking them will be greatly appreciated. I understand a lot of people have posted similar threads, but I'm naturally worried and have been unable to find a thread similar to my situation in particular. Thanks to whoever is kind enough to answer this.

You can definitely still apply (and get in) if your predictions are AAA in chem bio and history. It will definitely be difficult to cope with the workload of resits, new modules and medicine ucas but it is possible. Apply to your strengths ensuring the other parts of your application are as strong as possible (like your personal statement/ukcat or bmat).
(edited 10 years ago)
If you got a C in chemistry, no doubt you can turn it around and get an A but there are doubts as to whether your teachers will predict you two grades up... And then whether or not unis will take that seriously. If you have A's in science GCSE's (or an A* in chemistry ideally) you may be able to make a decent case. You're not in the ideal position but could have done a lot worse! If medicine is what you want then go for it.
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You're going to have an uphill struggle to try to pull your grades up and some universities will be concerned about the reliability of your predicted grades, but it is still possible. However, bear in mind that your lowest marks were in the sciences, and if you get an offer you will be required to pull your marks up significantly to get an A.
If you have good work experience, an excellent personal statement, reference, UKCAT score and interview then you do have a chance, but you will really have to work hard over the next year.
In terms of resitting, is it really worth resitting english lit? You may be able to gain the extra 7 UMS by requesting a remark, and many universities aren't particularly interested in the 4th AS grade when it isn't at all related to the degree. I would definitely resit the history though, since you need as many UMS as possible to get an A overall and if you could gain an extra 10 or so in the retake it's less pressure on your A2 modules. And definitely resit your D science modules - again you can gain a lot of UMS marks by doing this, taking pressure off your A2 exams.

Cheers for the response. I'll be resitting in January. You say I'd have to pull my marks up in the sciences, they're only at a B due to the two exams in which I had a D in. I would only need a B in those exams to get an A in AS Chem and Bio. Considering I was predicted A for both, how would that be such a significant struggle to resit just two A2 modules and get them to a B minimum? Am I missing something?

Excellent, I will take your advice on History and the sciences. I won't resit english lit, but I will go for the recount, my tutor also recommended that. I know I'll have to work hard, but you make it seem as if it will be impossible? I mean, the only thing bringing me down is the D grades, which I can easily resit. If I get these to an A, then surely the work at A2 will only require as much effort as this? Sorry if I seem aggressive or angry, I really appreciate the reply, I just don't understand the emphasis on having to put in this goliath workload.
Reply 5
Original post by hellomoto170
If you got a C in chemistry, no doubt you can turn it around and get an A but there are doubts as to whether your teachers will predict you two grades up... And then whether or not unis will take that seriously. If you have A's in science GCSE's (or an A* in chemistry ideally) you may be able to make a decent case. You're not in the ideal position but could have done a lot worse! If medicine is what you want then go for it.

My teachers have agreed to predict me AAA :smile: I have A* in GCSE chemistry, 100% in fact! He said he's willing to write a mitigating circumstances letter in his reference due to my D grade not being in correlation with my predictions and previous results. My college is in its first year of establishment also, so the organisation of classes etc was poor. That is also going on my referees statement :smile:
Original post by JackC
Cheers for the response. I'll be resitting in January. You say I'd have to pull my marks up in the sciences, they're only at a B due to the two exams in which I had a D in. I would only need a B in those exams to get an A in AS Chem and Bio. Considering I was predicted A for both, how would that be such a significant struggle to resit just two A2 modules and get them to a B minimum? Am I missing something?

Excellent, I will take your advice on History and the sciences. I won't resit english lit, but I will go for the recount, my tutor also recommended that. I know I'll have to work hard, but you make it seem as if it will be impossible? I mean, the only thing bringing me down is the D grades, which I can easily resit. If I get these to an A, then surely the work at A2 will only require as much effort as this? Sorry if I seem aggressive or angry, I really appreciate the reply, I just don't understand the emphasis on having to put in this goliath workload.

You will have to resit in the summer since there are no more January exams...
Try and work out where you messed up on those science exams - if it is something you feel able to easily correct (e.g. you didn't revise enough/ you have studied those topics in more detail since) then by retaking you should be able to get much better grades. Bear in mind that you don't want to just scrape an A in your ASs, you want to get a slightly more solid A so that you could get high Bs in your A2 exams and still end up with an A overall - remember that A2s are significantly harder than ASs. However, you will probably build upon your AS knowledge at A2 so should be in a very good position to get As in your AS retakes next summer.
My only concern is from personal experience - A2s were quite a lot harder than ASs (with the exception of Chemistry I found, but it will probably vary between exam boards a lot).
Remember that medicine is VERY competitive - don't be too disheartened if you don't get the offers, many people take gap years, reapply and manage to get in :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reyoru
You can definitely still apply (and get in) if your predictions are AAA in chem bio and history. It will definitely be difficult to cope with the workload of resits, new modules and medicine ucas but it is possible. Apply to your strengths ensuring the other parts of your application are as strong as possible (like your personal statement/ukcat or bmat).

Thank you. I did very well at GCSE but I had no idea what happened this year :colondollar: I worked really hard, but flunked. Oh well, it happens I guess. At least I didn't fail anything. I think the fact 3 subjects will be taken next year, plus the fact I can resit in January will make things easier. I will definitely be working hard though. Thank you for the advice!
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You will have to resit in the summer since there are no more January exams...
Try and work out where you messed up on those science exams - if it is something you feel able to easily correct (e.g. you didn't revise enough/ you have studied those topics in more detail since) then by retaking you should be able to get much better grades. Bear in mind that you don't want to just scrape an A in your ASs, you want to get a slightly more solid A so that you could get high Bs in your A2 exams and still end up with an A overall - remember that A2s are significantly harder than ASs. However, you will probably build upon your AS knowledge at A2 so should be in a very good position to get As in your AS retakes next summer.
My only concern is from personal experience - A2s were quite a lot harder than ASs (with the exception of Chemistry I found, but it will probably vary between exam boards a lot).
Remember that medicine is VERY competitive - don't be too disheartened if you don't get the offers, many people take gap years, reapply and manage to get in :smile:

I'm a Welsh student, we still have January resits!

Thank you for the kind words :smile: I did work hard for the exam, and thought I knew the material. In all fairness, the exam was awkward and significantly harder. I think if I resit, with some refreshers revision, plus the work with A2 building on AS knowledge, coupled with after school AS revision etc, I'll be able to get a pretty solid A in the two sciences I had D's in. Thank you! If I don't get in this year, at least I'll be more prepared after a gap year :smile: Thanks for your help!
Original post by JackC
I'm a Welsh student, we still have January resits!

Thank you for the kind words :smile: I did work hard for the exam, and thought I knew the material. In all fairness, the exam was awkward and significantly harder. I think if I resit, with some refreshers revision, plus the work with A2 building on AS knowledge, coupled with after school AS revision etc, I'll be able to get a pretty solid A in the two sciences I had D's in. Thank you! If I don't get in this year, at least I'll be more prepared after a gap year :smile: Thanks for your help!

:eek: Lucky!
You may have just been unlucky with those exams then - you should be fairly confident of gaining a better grade next time then :smile:
Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending