The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what kind of AS module scores LSE are looking for? I know Cambridge don't want anything below 90. Do they even find out? :/ Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous1717
Does anyone know what kind of AS module scores LSE are looking for? I know Cambridge don't want anything below 90. Do they even find out? :/ Thanks.

You're probably right but does it say somewhere on their website that LSE asks for individual module scores?

I can't seem to find it but I emailed them but they took 3 weeks to reply to my email (fair enough), which they thought I was talking about UCAS points so no reply yet after I asked again. Other than that, I can't find where LSE said they ask for UMS even though a couple of people have said they do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 562
Original post by NedStark
You're probably right but does it say somewhere on their website that LSE asks for individual module scores?

I can't seem to find it but I emailed them but they took 3 weeks to reply to my email (fair enough), which they thought I was talking about UCAS points so no reply yet after I asked again. Other than that, I can't find where LSE said they ask for UMS even though a couple of people have said they do.

I emailed them about this just a couple of days ago. They said that they do not require you to submit UMS marks. Only in special cases where they want some more information on a candidate (possibly a very borderline case) will they ask for UMS. You can, however, declare it if you want to
Reply 563
Hi everyone, I'd really like to apply to either Cambridge for economics or Oxford for e&m, given my results which do I stand the best chance with? Maths A* : C1 100, C2 95, M1 100, S1 94, C3 100, C4 89 Economics A : 91 micro, 100 macro Government & Politics A : Unit 1 100, Unit 2 100 GCSE :9A*, 1A I was also told that some Cambridge colleges ask you to sit a TSA, but cannot find any evidence of this, any help would be really appreciated thanks!
Reply 564
So.....Everyone geared up for their university choices? :biggrin:
Original post by Jkizer

Not yet I want to do Maths and/with Economics and most universities in London don't have that course. Still I got a few which are Leeds, UCL and Warwick. And maybe LSE. How about you?
Original post by Jkizer

sort of , Cambridge is automatically out of the window due to my low-ish UMS though :tongue:
Original post by Jkizer

Ish... Still undecided on my fifth choice, I'm not sure whether to apply to somewhere safe like York or make the stretch for Cambridge even though its quite unlikely with my average (88%).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really struggling to decide between Bath and Bristol, open days are on the same day for both. Any opinions?

If I went for Bath I'd go for the placement year but Bristol is a Russell group and closer to the city which means there might be more to do.
Reply 569
Original post by Dilzo999
Not yet I want to do Maths and/with Economics and most universities in London don't have that course. Still I got a few which are Leeds, UCL and Warwick. And maybe LSE. How about you?

Original post by Fas
sort of , Cambridge is automatically out of the window due to my low-ish UMS though :tongue:

Original post by Bloxorus
Ish... Still undecided on my fifth choice, I'm not sure whether to apply to somewhere safe like York or make the stretch for Cambridge even though its quite unlikely with my average (88%).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn all you and your insane grades / universities >.> xD

My aim at the end of A2 is AAB, which i think is a fairly achievable target for myself :smile:
I'm currently looking at Southampton, Surrey, Reading, QMUL, RHUL and Sussex. I'm a bit torn between the last 3 though! :frown:

I think i did ok despite my very average GCSE grades ;P
I'm really struggling to decide between Bath and Bristol, open days are on the same day for both. Any opinions?

If I went for Bath I'd go for the placement year but Bristol is a Russell group and closer to the city which means there might be more to do.

I went to both open days and I think the year in industry at Bath is a real advantage as apparently more than half of the people who do it end up getting a job offer at the end. I don't think the fact its not a Russell group really matters as its a much better university than a lot of the Russell group ones anyway. Although, that said, Bristol is ranked quite a lot higher.

There's really not much between them, I think I'm going to apply to both.
Word of advice, don't bother applying to Durham, it's been in clearing for the last two years. Probably will be again, might as well see it as a sixth UCAS option :wink:
I didn't get the results I was expecting.

GCSEs
A* A* A* A A A A A B B

AS:
Economics - B
History - C
Geography - B
Maths - C
ICT - A

I'll continue with Economics, Geography and Maths and be predicted AAB respectively.

I want to apply:
1. Nottingham - Industrial Economics - AAB
2. Surrey - Economics - AAB
3. York - Economics - AAB
4. - Kent - Economics - ABB
5. Sansea - Economics - BBB

Do you think I will receive offers? Will my AS grades put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 573
Original post by Alex-Torres
I didn't get the results I was expecting.

GCSEs
A* A* A* A A A A A B B

AS:
Economics - B
History - C
Geography - B
Maths - C
ICT - A

I'll continue with Economics, Geography and Maths and be predicted AAB respectively.

I want to apply:
1. Nottingham - Industrial Economics - AAB
2. Surrey - Economics - AAB
3. York - Economics - AAB
4. - Kent - Economics - ABB
5. Sansea - Economics - BBB

Do you think I will receive offers? Will my AS grades put me at a disadvantage?

It's a good set of options! As long as you get the right predictions. Just make sure you get your personal statement to show as much of your ability as you can, as this is the main reason why universities give offers to 'Lower grade' students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

My aim at the end of A2 is AAB, which i think is a fairly achievable target for myself :smile:
I'm currently looking at Southampton, Surrey, Reading, QMUL, RHUL and Sussex. I'm a bit torn between the last 3 though! :frown:

I did a taster course at QMUL and I think it's a great university if it had my course I would have definitely applied.
Original post by Bloxorus
I went to both open days and I think the year in industry at Bath is a real advantage as apparently more than half of the people who do it end up getting a job offer at the end. I don't think the fact its not a Russell group really matters as its a much better university than a lot of the Russell group ones anyway. Although, that said, Bristol is ranked quite a lot higher.

There's really not much between them, I think I'm going to apply to both.

I've only got one spot left on my UCAS form, so it's tough to choose. If you had to choose one (I know I'm asking a lot) which would you choose?
To everyone here, LSE does actually check UMS. The question was asked at the open day and the lady herself said they send you a questionnaire for you to fill out with each module.
I've only got one spot left on my UCAS form, so it's tough to choose. If you had to choose one (I know I'm asking a lot) which would you choose?

I'd probably say bath due to the year in industry that they offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

yeah , hopefully by end of A2 i will have A*AA , but realistically i think i'll end up with AAA ! Surrey was a potential one i considered aswell , parents want me to apply to Warwick instead of Surrey for my 5th uni choice ( not in any order ) and im like " noooo waaayyy " hahahaha :tongue:
Original post by tooambitious
Word of advice, don't bother applying to Durham, it's been in clearing for the last two years. Probably will be again, might as well see it as a sixth UCAS option :wink:

i saw this and was very shocked to see a top rung Uni like them in clearing for Economics ! if it's in clearing for the last 2 years running , does that mean getting an offer from them will be slightly easier next year ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending