The Student Room Group

Triple Science.. Help?

Hi there,

I'm in year 10, about to enter year 11 in September, halfway through my GCSEs.
At the start of year 10 I was placed in triple science, which at first I was really happy about as I had been in middle sets through year 8 and 9 and it was great to see teachers saw my potential.

However throughout year 10 I discoveres they may have made the wrong desicion. I have really been struggling and in my end of year 10 assessment I got a C in Biology and B's in Chemistry and Physics. Is this good for where I am?

I am also worried that in the end of year 11 Science exams I will panic and fail.. Leaving me with no Science qualifications.. Are you able to resit them if you do fail? And at what costs?

Thank you for all your help TSR users :smile:
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Reply 2
it's ok if you're getting c or above, just study harder
Original post by meganmolly
x

Achieveing Bs and Cs at the half way point is not disasterous, it all depends on what you want to end up with at the end of your GCSEs.

Personally, I would speak to your teachers, perhaps even your personal tutor (assuming your school operates a similar scheme to my old secondary school) and see whether there are any methods/techniques of revising for assessments you find particularly helpful, if so try them and you'll be surprised what you can achieve.
Reply 4
Thats not to bad, did you really try your best revision wise? It will be a bit more difficult for you next year as you have to do all your exams at the end. If your worried i think you should go and speak to your teachers and they could advise you of the best thing to do. At the end of the day you will have to do the same exams even if you choose to drop to double science! If you can be bothered with the extra work go for it!
Reply 5
Hi there,

I'm in year 10, about to enter year 11 in September, halfway through my GCSEs.
At the start of year 10 I was placed in triple science, which at first I was really happy about as I had been in middle sets through year 8 and 9 and it was great to see teachers saw my potential.

However throughout year 10 I discoveres they may have made the wrong desicion. I have really been struggling and in my end of year 10 assessment I got a C in Biology and B's in Chemistry and Physics. Is this good for where I am?

I am also worried that in the end of year 11 Science exams I will panic and fail.. Leaving me with no Science qualifications.. Are you able to resit them if you do fail? And at what costs?

Thank you for all your help TSR users :smile:

If you work at the same rate as now then, you'll probably have ABB/AAB. If that isn't what you want, then if you put more work in there's no reason why you can't push that up to A*AA relatively easily and getting to A*A*A* is certainly possible with extra work. Make sure you understand the concepts as you go along, make good notes in your exercise book, buy a revision guide and do as many past paper questions as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Achieveing Bs and Cs at the half way point is not disasterous, it all depends on what you want to end up with at the end of your GCSEs.

Personally, I would speak to your teachers, perhaps even your personal tutor (assuming your school operates a similar scheme to my old secondary school) and see whether there are any methods/techniques of revising for assessments you find particularly helpful, if so try them and you'll be surprised what you can achieve.

Thank you! Yes, I think I will talk to my teachers for more advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by tory88
If you work at the same rate as now then, you'll probably have ABB/AAB. If that isn't what you want, then if you put more work in there's no reason why you can't push that up to A*AA relatively easily and getting to A*A*A* is certainly possible with extra work. Make sure you understand the concepts as you go along, make good notes in your exercise book, buy a revision guide and do as many past paper questions as possible.

I'd be delighted with those results! Thanks for the boost and yes I will do as well as I can in terms of revision! Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Whooh1
Thats not to bad, did you really try your best revision wise? It will be a bit more difficult for you next year as you have to do all your exams at the end. If your worried i think you should go and speak to your teachers and they could advise you of the best thing to do. At the end of the day you will have to do the same exams even if you choose to drop to double science! If you can be bothered with the extra work go for it!

Thank you! I have decided I'm really going to push my self in terms of revision :smile: Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you! I have decided I'm really going to push my self in terms of revision :smile: Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 10
If you think you may not end up with a science qualification then talk to your teachers about this.

Your teachers might be able to divert you from triple to just double. Eg core science and additional science.
If you don't want to do that, then I suggest you work harder and re take some modules to push your grade up.

Try to find the problem as to why you are getting b/c grades.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending