The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snikutsmullac
Forgive me for being stupid but what are RG universities?

RG-Russell Group Universities, which normally include the top 25 or so UK leading universities
+ you're not stupid- it was a genuine question like mine was about what FMSQ stood for. I think I'd be pretty hurt to think people thought I was stupid for asking that :cry:
Forgive me for being stupid but what are RG universities?

RG stands for Russel Group these are the top 20 unis in the UK :smile:
Reply 4502
Original post by Red Fox
OCR are the love of my life. They are the best in my opinion and I've done GCSEs on all 4 main boards.

Good to hear, all 4 of my A Levels are with them :biggrin:
Original post by Sulfur
:wink:

Right back at you x2
:wink::wink:
:biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox
Nah I'm on WJEC for English. OCR for 3 sciences and OCR Physics and Chemistry next year.

Nice to know. I'm on OCR for Chem, Bio, Maths, English Lit and WJEC for History
Did anyone take the I.C.T exam with edexcel?
Original post by EvasiveRose
RG-Russell Group Universities, which normally include the top 25 or so UK leading universities
+ you're not stupid- it was a genuine question like mine was about what FMSQ stood for. I think I'd be pretty hurt to think people thought I was stupid for asking that :cry:

So that's like Cambridge and Oxford? No chance.

Yes, that includes Oxford and Cambridge amongst other universities. And there's no need to write yourself off already; if you meet their minimun entry requirements for the course you want to study, it's anyones game
Original post by Darnell LD97
RG stands for Russel Group these are the top 20 unis in the UK :smile:

Hm, I doubt I've got much of a chance!
Yes, that includes Oxford and Cambridge amongst other universities. And there's no need to write yourself off already; if you meet their minimun entry requirements for the course you want to study, it's anyones game

I read a girl got 12 A*'s at GCSE, 4 at A2 Level and still didn't get accepted into Cambridge.
What chance do I have? D:

Cambridge, Oxford, Queen Mary, Manchester, Birmingham, Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial etc etc
Reply 4511
I read a girl got 12 A*'s at GCSE, 4 at A2 Level and still didn't get accepted into Cambridge.

It's not just about grades all the time.

Unless it's medicine.

Then you're ****ed.
Original post by ismailjan3
Cambridge, Oxford, Queen Mary, Manchester, Birmingham, Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial etc etc

Meh, I think I want to go to University of East Anglia (Norwich). It's about an hour from my house, I like the city and I think I stand a good chance of meeting the entry criteria for medicine.

Although it's not Russel Group.
Original post by Tibbz2
It's not just about grades all the time.

Unless it's medicine.

Then you're ****ed.

It is medicine :'(

There's more to getting into these top universities than grades. Your interview and entrance test scores play a big part in seperating you from the rest of the candidates who have met the entry requirements.
And there's always a story about an 'exceptional student' not getting into Oxford/Cambridge. You've got to remember that someone who was deemed more capable in more areas than one recieved their place instead.
Hm, I doubt I've got much of a chance!

You just need to be confident with yourself having a negative mindset wont motivate you to aim high. :smile:
There's more to getting into these top universities than grades. Your interview and entrance test scores play a big part in seperating you from the rest of the candidates who have met the entry requirements.
And there's always a story about an 'exceptional student' not getting into Oxford/Cambridge. You've got to remember that someone who was deemed more capable in more areas than one recieved their place instead.

I'm gonna do work experience in a Charity Shop one day a month and I'm gonna do work experience in every place I can get (GP Surgery, Care Home, etc...), that'll help won't it?
Original post by Darnell LD97
You just need to be confident with yourself having a negative mindset wont motivate you to aim high. :smile:

I have lots of confidence with my education, but I try to be realistic
I'm gonna do work experience in a Charity Shop one day a month and I'm gonna do work experience in every place I can get (GP Surgery, Care Home, etc...), that'll help won't it?

I assume you want to do a course in Medicine. Doing things like that will certainly help rather than hinder you but the main thing is once you've met the entry requirements you need to have the confidence to carry yourself and show the tutors at these top universities why you deserve a place at their institution.
Being realistic isn't a bad thing but sometimes it stops you from pushing yourself and achieving so much more :smile:
I assume you want to do a course in Medicine. Doing things like that will certainly help rather than hinder you but the main thing is once you've met the entry requirements you need to have the confidence to carry yourself and show the tutors at these top universities why you deserve a place at their institution.
Being realistic isn't a bad thing but sometimes it stops you from pushing yourself and achieving so much more :smile:

I've been educated for a school in five years where people don't have much confidence in themselves, it rubs off... what university are you intending to study at?

Latest