The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smko
What did you get in both?

The European source one ( I did Germany) I got a C :s-smilie:
British I got an A ..

Seems sources were marked weird at my school wbu?

Original post by livinglife123
That's pretty good, I liked both my papers and ended up writing tons for the British one, I got 50/100, which doesn't make sense to me at all, so I'm getting it remarked. :confused:
For the European one, I did Italian Unification, got 67/100 - 3 marks off a B, so getting that remarked too. If worst comes to worst, I might resit the Brit one, since I want to do History at Uni.

I have the same issue!!! I got a B in history overall, but was disappointed because I was predicted an A and wanted to do it at university! I got an A on the british paper and a D on the source one! In past papers id been getting B+ and As and now im so shocked! definitely getting it remarked
Original post by JustMe20
Totally agree. To all those who got rubbish grades this year, perhaps stop wasting your time crying and moaning about it on here, and instead pull your finger out, look up your syllabus for A2 and get a head start and begin studying already. Yes AS is marked more harshly than anything you've done before, but guess what, A2 is only going to get harder, as is uni. Stop acting as though you all deserve A's just because you may have done well in the past.

Harsh but truth in that. Work harder for A2's guys.
Reply 342
Hell, I'm doing AS and I do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Computing, and after my results I had DBEB respectively. I was expecting an A in Economics, but both exams turned out to be D and U which i'm shocked at as my economics is hands down my best subject (until now ? ). As well as Maths where I got 2 As and a D in my modules but was pretty set for 3 As. Kinda shocking and waiting for papers to come back. Not sure what to think (I will resit C2) whether to do a 3rd year or whether I be let on to do my Economics 2nd year. It's really tough :/ especially that uni's I was looking at are AAB or ABB :/ and I really think it's harsh marking as I put a load of effort in like never before ( started revision feb half term)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 24hoursmiles
I have the same issue!!! I got a B in history overall, but was disappointed because I was predicted an A and wanted to do it at university! I got an A on the british paper and a D on the source one! In past papers id been getting B+ and As and now im so shocked! definitely getting it remarked

Guess OCR'll have A LOT of remarks to do :tongue: It kinda sucks for me to, my most recent mocks were A+ in the British Paper and B+ for the sources ... getting mine remarked to!
Out of interest what Uni's were you thinking of?
I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!
Original post by freedomtocreate
I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!

Honestly, the top unis don't really rate Business. But, they're okay with it if it's done alongside the more traditional subjects. I would just pick what you enjoy, trust me you can pick up the financial things of business from a book quite fast if you try :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 346
I feel the same. I expected nothing below a C or even a C grade maybe only in maths. But I got all below and I'm scared I might get kicked out because I've got two fails..
Original post by UD177
Hell, I'm doing AS and I do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Computing, and after my results I had DBEB respectively. I was expecting an A in Economics, but both exams turned out to be D and U which i'm shocked at as my economics is hands down my best subject (until now ? ). As well as Maths where I got 2 As and a D in my modules but was pretty set for 3 As. Kinda shocking and waiting for papers to come back. Not sure what to think (I will resit C2) whether to do a 3rd year or whether I be let on to do my Economics 2nd year. It's really tough :/ especially that uni's I was looking at are AAB or ABB :/ and I really think it's harsh marking as I put a load of effort in like never before ( started revision feb half term)

I do the exact same subjects however I started my revision around Early March and got AAA so there is probably something wrong with a) Your revision methods, b) Your teachers. Either way I'd suggest just to re-do year 12. Plus that's a nice Computing grade, I got a C in mine :frown:.
Original post by Caits7
It has been extremely harsh, several boards, OCR in particular, are actually being investigated at the moment for it and millions of papers are being remarked.

Really, is it on the news? If so can you send me the link.
Reply 349
Really, is it on the news? If so can you send me the link.

It's on the daily mail site, here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-141039/Exam-grading-scandal-hit-100-000-pupils.html

****. That's not good at all.

That article is a year old.
Reply 352

I did read somewhere that A level results have dropped for a 2nd time in a row so that means something and could relate to AS as well.
Original post by Caits7
It has been extremely harsh, several boards, OCR in particular, are actually being investigated at the moment for it and millions of papers are being remarked.

OMG OCR has been the worst (as per haha). but seriously its ridiculous no one in my music class got a high grade and we were all predicted A's. Same goes for bio and all the other OCR subjects. Such a shock to find that out. Its good they're being remarked they need to get better!!!
Reply 355
Oh sh*t, I was looking at the date at the top of it! :frown:
Reply 356

Does your school/college offer economics? Along the same lines as business, but more respected by unis and, imo, more fun (but I am a biased economics student here :wink:). Also, maybe look at the information the unis you're looking at have on taking law at A level. If you're applying to top places they may not prefer it.

Anyway, history is, arguably, the best subject to take as a potential law student so as you like it you may as well take it.
Original post by Lisa17
Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!

Yeah I've got a B and I JUST noticed that I hate it!!!
Original post by lucine.B
OMG OCR has been the worst (as per haha). but seriously its ridiculous no one in my music class got a high grade and we were all predicted A's. Same goes for bio and all the other OCR subjects. Such a shock to find that out. Its good they're being remarked they need to get better!!!

they';re not haha , the date of that article is wrong
Original post by Fas
they';re not haha , the date of that article is wrong

Damn, what a shame haha I was gonna apply for a remark!!! Its just so annoying. Really don't think its fair but whatevs

Quick Reply