The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield - change accommodation? Catered/self catered?

Hey

Erm, when I applied for Accomodation with Sheffield uni, I chose en suite and self catered. I've not been given an en suite which is okay, kinda expected it. But I've been put in a building which is all catered. I've never wanted catered and I don't want to have to pay more when I didn't ask for it!

I was wondering what the likelihood is off me changing to somewhere self catered? If so, could anyone explain what I have to do? I've left a message with the Accomodation services and hopefully they'll get back to me soon but I'm stressing out.

Thanks in advance xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

Ill be going to Sheffield and the exact same thing happened to me, thought the most stressful part was over :'(
I tried phoning the accommodation and they said phone back tomorrow so you could try that.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Yeah that's what I've done too. Hope you get a change :frown: where've you been allocated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks, hope you do :smile: I've been allocated to the Stevenson building there's no way I can afford catering.

What course are you doing?
Reply 4
Me too! That's my biggest worry! I've read somewhere the office is open Monday to Friday from 9-5 :frown: let me know how you get on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mattlyons94
Thanks, hope you do :smile: I've been allocated to the Stevenson building there's no way I can afford catering.

What course are you doing?

Oh and psychology. Yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Aerospace engineering, didn't quite get the grades needed which is probably why I didn't get into my preferred accommodation :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by mattlyons94
Aerospace engineering, didn't quite get the grades needed which is probably why I didn't get into my preferred accommodation :frown:

You might be onto something there cause neither did I...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by melissaye
Hey

Erm, when I applied for Accomodation with Sheffield uni, I chose en suite and self catered. I've not been given an en suite which is okay, kinda expected it. But I've been put in a building which is all catered. I've never wanted catered and I don't want to have to pay more when I didn't ask for it!

I was wondering what the likelihood is off me changing to somewhere self catered? If so, could anyone explain what I have to do? I've left a message with the Accomodation services and hopefully they'll get back to me soon but I'm stressing out.

Thanks in advance xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going in self catered accommodation but going to get the catered card which allows you to buy lunch and dinner every day, slightly worried that i won't have anyone to dine with though !
Reply 9
That was another of my worries! Give me a shout, it's likely I'll be alone too haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey
The same thing has happened to me, I'm in Stevenson too and I really don't want catered and can't afford it either. I just rang the office and they are looking to see if they can do anything but apparently there are loads of people in the same boat so i don't know if they can do much, stressed but may have to get used to it :L
Yep, looks like there will be a couple of us in the same boat. The exact same things happened to me, I'm in Stephenson as well. I've called accom and they've put me on the waiting list so fingers crossed!
I just emailed the accommodation office and now hoping for the best :|
I'm in the same boat and can't afford/don't want the catered option. I've been looking at Derwent Sheffield 3 which is private accommodation specifically for students, it's cheaper and looks nicer but just worried about night-life and being far away from friends in Endcliffe etc.
The uni said they may still have places in the city accommodation for self catered en-suite so I've applied for that.
Apparently they've been over-subscribed for self-catered and have allocated it all out so there's not a lot they can do unless people drop out :frown:
Good luck to all of you in the same position!
Reply 14
I've spoken to Accomodation service today and they offered me the city one with en suite but I've been told from people at Sheffield that it's international students and people who study constantly and don't go out hahaha. Think I'll just stick Stephenson cause its a good building. Where are you guys' rooms in in Stephenson? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in B09, so far I haven't found anyone who is with me :frown:
Original post by melissaye
I've spoken to Accomodation service today and they offered me the city one with en suite but I've been told from people at Sheffield that it's international students and people who study constantly and don't go out hahaha. Think I'll just stick Stephenson cause its a good building. Where are you guys' rooms in in Stephenson? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im in room SW1.80, havent been offered anything else yet by the accommodation service though :frown: yourself?
Reply 17
Original post by charlottiie
I'm in B09, so far I haven't found anyone who is with me :frown:

I'm in B03 :smile: I thought i was the only one :L
Does anyone know if we will be sharing a living area in Stephenson with other students because I don't want to be alone :L
Reply 19
Does anyone actually know anything about Stephenson? I can't find a mention of a bathroom or a bar :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending