The Student Room Group

Success stories - BAD AS GRADES AND GOT INTO UNI FOR EXAMPLE.

Feel free to share your own success story of how you or someone you know/heard of got into a great (top 20) uni with bad AS grades or how someone got in by being good at other things/in other areas!

Think this will be a nice motivational thread for many people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doesn't fit your two examples, but literally 80% of the people I have so far spoken to missed their grades and still automatically got let in. One friend needed ABB and got in with BCC. Another needed ABB too and was let in with BCD.
Reply 2
Got CCDE, got it up to AAB by end of yr 13 and now off to Loughborough having turned down Nottingham, Leeds, Kent & Goldsmiths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My friend got into Leicester University for Law when they required AAA...

She got BBC.
Reply 4
Original post by Burty123
Got CCDE, got it up to AAB by end of yr 13 and now off to Loughborough having turned down Nottingham, Leeds, Kent & Goldsmiths

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is me right now. I hope I can bump them up like you did :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by ddaappoo

She got BBC.

I wanna do law at leicester, go ABCC this year in AS.. seems as though my dreams arnt shattered! :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I received the same grades as you. Did those universities make you offers straight away from your UCAS application? I know I can and will turn my grades around, but I'm scared universities won't make me offers! I won't even be applying to unis of that standard, more one's asking for ABB-BBC.
First year AS I got BBCE (2011)

Dropped one subject and picked up another; also retook many AS modules + AS certification and carried on with A2
And I ended up with AAABC for AS but BBB at A2 (2012)

Retook A2 modules in my gap year and applied to uni (2013) and ended up with AAAab with offers from Warwick/Durham/Bristol

Never give up, I never did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got similar grades to you recently. To achieve your AAB I assume you resat some of your AS exams during your A2 year? Did this affect your A2 learning at all?
Reply 9
Original post by ddaappoo

She got BBC.

I needed AAB for Southampton which is ranked lower than Leicester, Leicester also required AAB, but through clearing I called in early and got an unconditional offer to study Psychology with cognitive neuroscience with BBC at Leicester!
Reply 10
Original post by Sarahftw_
This is me right now. I hope I can bump them up like you did :tongue:

Course you will! Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by mddub39
Hi, I received the same grades as you. Did those universities make you offers straight away from your UCAS application? I know I can and will turn my grades around, but I'm scared universities won't make me offers! I won't even be applying to unis of that standard, more one's asking for ABB-BBC.

Hate to tell you this but no, I received no offers and was forced to take a gap year :frown: You could always try clearing but I didn't fancy it! And Gap Years aren't all bad! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by mddub39

It's all about what you get predicted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Petrue
I got similar grades to you recently. To achieve your AAB I assume you resat some of your AS exams during your A2 year? Did this affect your A2 learning at all?

Well for 2 of them I only did one retake each but for economics I did so many exams! Nah for me personally it didn't affect me :smile: Was even like 2 UMS off an A* in one subject (90% at A2) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Sorry for all the posts I'm on mobile and haven't mastered multi-quoting on it so had to do one by one :frown: Any questions Pm if you need to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
It's all about what you get predicted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? So if I got predicted ABB or something I would still get offers?
Reply 16
Original post by mddub39
Really? So if I got predicted ABB or something I would still get offers?

Providing you have an excellent personal statement or/and a good interview which shows the reader/interviewer you are very interested in the course and show academic promise through extra reading, outside essay competitions etc of course

You can get offers I would says up to AAA entry required universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
another one of these threads? ok, well I got BCD in AS level and a year later for my A2s I managed to get AAA, despite being told by everybody that I wasn't clever enough, when they actually didn't know me at all or what I could do when I put some work in
Reply 18
Original post by Jkizer
Providing you have an excellent personal statement or/and a good interview which shows the reader/interviewer you are very interested in the course and show academic promise through extra reading, outside essay competitions etc of course

You can get offers I would says up to AAA entry required universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah thank you, I really appreciate this. Definitely a confidence booster.
Reply 19
It depends a lot on prediction grades to get a conditional offer really and whether the person is motivated and does the hard work to get good grades at the A2. Now every person who has done their best in the A-level and got into a relatively average (never mind the 'top 10' university should be congratulated for their hard work.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest