The Student Room Group

Have you ever been insulted about your looks?

Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar to realise that everyone gets insulted, has faults and that they are often exaggerated words.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic. Ok so maybe this wasnt an insult as it was an anonymous activity but made me feel insulted. Its kind of worse than an insult as I couldnt put it down to nastiness/being victimised lol.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have dark hair and when I was 10 someone called me the bearded lady because I had a bit of a lady stache and it has stuck with me to this day. I found my dad's shaving stuff and shaved it.. Everytime I look in the mirror I think about it

I lost all my hair when I was 11 because of personal reasons and when I went to school they said I looked like a disgusting lesbian and I wore a hat for years...

I have naturally very large breasts for my frame and I was developed to a F when I was 13 and I got made fun of so much when I was 13 that I used duck tape to push them down...

There is many more but I doubt you wanna hear the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been insulted about looks pretty much all my life , its hard to deal with knowing that the odds are no one will ever find you attractive and wherever you go people are probably thinking what an ugly guy he is , but Ive reached a point where Ive just stopped caring , was majorly depressed from about 11-16 though , would come home and just play video games / watch tv shows (until I had to sleep)to drown out all the insults that I would get and stop brooding about how hideous I am . I don't know what I would do without my current friends , might have attempted something.

Throughout the late stages of primary school and most of secondary school I was picked on because I have a abnormally large and funny shaped head , its not something you can cover up . I also have a large bulbous nose , fat thick lips , bulgy out eyes . But basically people would often just make me feel so **** and low by insulting me whenever they saw fit to . Whenever I got into arguments with people and things got personal , they would always bring up my aesthetic and it just crushed my confidence.

Girls ive liked have told me pretty nasty things also
Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through life without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny
Yep. Things like big nose (my nose isn't even THAT big) being called fat when I was underweight ugly etc etc. Although this was all off a few people that bullied me so the fat comment was most likely just to try and get a me rather than truth.
My eyes used to change colour a lot when I was younger (now not so much), so kids used to say I looked 'abnormal' and that I was 'weird and belonged on another planet'. It was pretty horrible as a child, because at that time I didn't know any better than to listen to them.

Some people out there can be pretty cruel! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SillyMilly
Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through life without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny

I was going to write something but after reading this I thought mine was just nothing.
Reply 7
Yes, I was born with ptosis on both eyes, so my eyes were less open then they should've been. In high school, a bunch of (15-20) kids would snicker every time they'd see me, and it was really awful. So one day I got really pissed off and grabbed them in them school hall. They never went near me again.

And I did have surgery for the ptosis as I was getting headaches from the strain required to open my eyes further at uni to copy from the lecture slides.

But apart from this, no.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Elelia
I have dark hair and when I was 10 someone called me the bearded lady because I had a bit of a lady stache and it has stuck with me to this day. I found my dad's shaving stuff and shaved it.. Everytime I look in the mirror I think about it

I lost all my hair when I was 11 because of personal reasons and when I went to school they said I looked like a disgusting lesbian and I wore a hat for years...

I have naturally very large breasts for my frame and I was developed to a F when I was 13 and I got made fun of so much when I was 13 that I used duck tape to push them down...

There is many more but I doubt you wanna hear the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanna hear the rest of the story about these jurassic boobs
SillyMilly, I'm really sorry to hear of your experience with such people.

I was the fat bloke in my school, seriously overweight. 24 stone approximately when I was 16 (I was then and still am 6'1 ). Was in boarding school -and was easily the fattest kid in my year, the year above or the year below me for a solid 3-4 years. The taunts were cruel but tolerable when I was 13/14, cause well they were mostly banter/it didn't bother me so much then. As everyone got a bit older, the insults became worse, lard-arse, fat boy, jokes about man boobs etc. Then there were times when I'd be taking my lunch from the school cafeteria to a table and an upperclassman would knock the tray down saying "I'm doing you a favor fat ass".
Drained me of all self confidence, plus the one of the few times I actually had the courage to ask a girl out, the response was something along the lines of "who'd go out with you?". All this really dented my confidence. Thankfully I was always near the top of my class academically, so I tried to focus on the good stuff, but there were times when the taunts and bullying associated with me being overweight was unreal.

Eventually the pain/anger/sadness from all this lead me to lose all the fat and get quite fit by regularly hitting the gym and eating right over the last 3 years. Every time I lift in the gym, I remember those pricks who teased me, poked my chest and said "wish my girl had tits like these" and **** like that, and push myself harder. Can kick the **** out of any of them this day, and if I ever see any one of them again, I will :smile:.
i used to get called Medusa, susan boyle and worse names at school. I wasnt the most attractive kid...deffo improved but still not good haha!

Sometimes in the street people have made comments too.

Ive realised that those people that matter look past looks etc and actually some people probably even find me attractive, and its the same for everyone.

My friend always fancies guys that i consider seriously ugly and vice versa!
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, I've been called some terrible things. I think everyone has at least one point in their lives.
I don't think i've ever seriously been called ugly to my face.
I don't know anyone who hasn't been insulted for the way they look, to be honest.

But personally, I suffered from depression as a result of bullying when I was twelve and thirteen, and I was addicted to self-harming from it. And quite a lot of the comments were about my appearance. High school's a **** hole, lets just admit it.
People have told me that my nose is horrible. There have also been times when some family members have called me a "strange looking mixed breed". They make it seem like I'm an alien or something. People always judge others so the best thing to do is ignore it! I don't really care that much anymore about any comments on the way I look.
Reply 15
I haven't been called ugly.

I've been called skinny and to be fair I am so I can't complain but I've not let it really bother me.

People will find always find ways to insult you unfortunately. :frown:
Reply 16
When I was in high school I got called Mick Jagger a few times I have full lips. I was also bullied because of my weight in primary school (I was a chubby kid).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I remember when I was around 13, a guy who I vaguely knew from my primary school used to follow me home and throw acorns at my head and call me glow stick because I'm ginger. I never really took much notice or retaliated because frankly, I didn't care too much. A couple of months ago I saw him whilst out with friends and he said something along the lines of "wow haven't you changed now" and asked for my number, I cannot tell you how good it felt to reject him and make him look like an idiot in front of people.
Some guy at my school called me ugly. Believed it for about 5-10 years.
Reply 19
Ha yes.

An old boss of mine commented on the size of my nose (ouch!) and a friend of mine used to insult my eyebrows when I was at high school. So silly how little things like that stick with you, I'm not massively self - conscious though.

Quick Reply