The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by und
I've got an offer for maths so I had to get 1,1 in STEP II and III.

It seemed like I'd do fine until I was actually sat in the exam hall with the paper in front of me. So yes, it's very hard, particularly when you add in the exam pressure. For engineering most colleges wouldn't ask you for STEP though, right? And even if they do they'll either ask for a lower grade or they'll let you take STEP I, so you should be OK if you do enough practice. I pretty much did nothing but STEP from January onwards personally, and even that might not have been enough as I saw.

Oh god that sounds hard ;( and the collee tht I'm applying to wants step especially I I haven't proven my mathematical ability (I haven't takes FM A2!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Banishingboredom
The refurbished staircases G/H and from next year F/E are available to freshers in Cripps. Next year staircases A-D are being refurbished so no go there. Cripps rooms cost between £1200-£1350 a term.

You also get the choice of rooms in Chapel Court and North Court, which are usually sets shared with one other person (you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom). These cost between £800-£1100. They are nicely furnished and warm, and better value than the Cripps rooms. However your setmate could be a complete dick, or worse a mathmo so choose wisely.

I'd personally advise going for Cripps rooms, and they have just been refurbished, are very nice indeed with awesome communal kitchen areas.
They are also closer to the backs, the gym, the squash courts and music practice rooms etc. On the other hand New Court/ Chapel court are close to the town and the supermarket. There are very few social benefits either way so don't worry about that.

If you're really unlucky and end up at the bottom of the (random) ballot you might have to live in a house outside of college, but this has it positives as well.

So where you live really doesn't matter socially even though most freshers live in Cripps?
Can anyone confirm that pillows and duvets aren't provided? I am assuming that that's the case but I don't want to leave mine in the UK just to then discover that I didn't need to :smile: Thanks!
Original post by rain on dry ground
Can anyone confirm that pillows and duvets aren't provided? I am assuming that that's the case but I don't want to leave mine in the UK just to then discover that I didn't need to :smile: Thanks!

They are provided...at least in most rooms. Whether or not they are comfortable depends on personal preference. My pillows were quite uncomfortable so I had to buy another one.
Thank you! One more thing I won't have to take with me :woo:
Original post by Caribbean Pride
They are provided...at least in most rooms. Whether or not they are comfortable depends on personal preference. My pillows were quite uncomfortable so I had to buy another one.
Reply 1605
Is this a competitive college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, John's is a very popular college, and admissions are competitive.
Reply 1607
Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the subject and there's also a large element of luck involved, as the quantity and quality of applicants can fluctuate significantly between years.
Reply 1608
Original post by Viceroy
Yes, John's is a very popular college, and admissions are competitive.

That's what I thought.
I used to think that the big three were Trinity, John's, and King's - but now it seems as though Trinity, Clare and Pembroke are, while John's seems to be around the middle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1609
Original post by und
It depends on the subject and there's also a large element of luck involved, as the quantity and quality of applicants can fluctuate significantly between years.

Which subjects would you say are significantly competitive for John's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1610
Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea. I had the impression that maths would have been quite competitive, but having gone through the admissions process this year for that, it seemed like it was one of the less competitive colleges to get into after receiving an offer, but maybe more competitive before receiving the offer. If that doesn't make sense, maths admissions are determined by your grades in an exam called STEP, which you take after receiving the offer.

You can try looking at the statistics for the last five years on the university website to get a rough idea of the competitiveness in the subject you want to apply for, but like I said this can vary enormously every year.
Reply 1611
Urgh I really wanna apply to johns but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. Everyone else is saying they got 98 UMS blah blah.
I got
Maths: 98%
Physics: 90.67%
Chemistry: 90.67%
Product: 80% ( :/ )
Critical thinking: D!!!!!! Wtf even?!!

I wanna apply for engineering and I plan on self teaching the A level next year.

Do I have a chance?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1612
Original post by Reddish
Urgh I really wanna apply to johns but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. Everyone else is saying they got 98 UMS blah blah.
I got
Maths: 98%
Physics: 90.67%
Chemistry: 90.67%
Product: 80% ( :/ )
Critical thinking: D!!!!!! Wtf even?!!

I wanna apply for engineering and I plan on self teaching the A level next year.

Do I have a chance?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

*self teaching the further maths a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/subjects-st-johns
So where you live really doesn't matter socially even though most freshers live in Cripps?

It'll be a 50/50 split between Cripps and other courts this year. Makes very little difference, though obviously it's better if your best friends live near you.
I know - so annoying! I had just decided to go for a room not in Cripps and now there are probably only going to be Cripps rooms left by the time it's my turn... Which leads me to my next question (hooray!): there's a price reduction for all Cripps rooms because of the building noise, do you know how much noise has been a problem in Cripps in the last few years with the other renovations? thanks :smile:
Original post by Banishingboredom
It'll be a 50/50 split between Cripps and other courts this year. Makes very little difference, though obviously it's better if your best friends live near you.
I know - so annoying! I had just decided to go for a room not in Cripps and now there are probably only going to be Cripps rooms left by the time it's my turn... Which leads me to my next question (hooray!): there's a price reduction for all Cripps rooms because of the building noise, do you know how much noise has been a problem in Cripps in the last few years with the other renovations? thanks :smile:

The noise shouldn't be too problematic. Last year E & F Cripps were refurbished along with the school of Pythagoras. Keeping your windows closed simply solved the issue. Only difference this year is that the rooms being refurbished are more centralised.

I wouldn't worry about the noise, but bear in mind you'll have to walk through/ by a building site everyday.
Reply 1618
Can anyone going to Johns tell me what UMS they got for AS please :wink:
I'm really worrying myself ;(
(Particularly for engineering)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reddish
Can anyone going to Johns tell me what UMS they got for AS please :wink:
I'm really worrying myself ;(
(Particularly for engineering)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing econ, got 100 for maths, 98 econ, 97 politics, 95 physics... obviously your maths, physics and chem are all good, is there a particular reason critical thinking was low? otherwise you'd stand a decent chance for an interview as long as you have some relevant extra stuff for your PS (like summer schools, extended project, etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending