The Student Room Group

My Cambridge UMS vs Oxford pA*

First thing first I scored in my AS levels
Bio 93%
Maths 93%
Geography 100%
Chem 84% :eek::mad::angry::mad::eek: blast!!!!

(i also scored an a in gs but thats irrelevant of the application i guess)

The trouble is for cantab my chemistry ums (which is probably the most crucial) would bring the averages down...also does cambridge take all UMSs or the top 3 i.e. bio maths geog??? I HATE U CHEMISTRY

Also i have already completed an early entry EPQ in (2 years early) and scored 50/50, would cambridge take this into account at all (because surely thats noteworthy)?

I read a FOI request last year that the median UMS of those offered was 96% (mine obviously is not that great)

So it feels that I have more of a chance (provided BMAT and ps/ref is good) in Oxford....

I scored 9A* 1A (the A was in latin if that makes a difference) at GCSE which is pA* 0.90. Which according to the oxford admissions stats website is still low as it says of those offered they had an average of 0.94 :frown:

But here is another main question in the same year I did GCSEs I did the EPQ (as ive mentioned) as well as FSMQ (A), surely this is better than a single GCSE as EPQ was marked at A2??? Would Oxford take this into account?

Some people may have got 1.00 but taken only 8 subjects or having the 11th subject as astronomy or food technology (which is crap compared to EPQ)?? :angry:

And subsequently would I have a better chance at Oxford or Cambridge - or neither?

:wink:
I really appreciate your time to read this query!
From ocelot92
Hi

I can't answer your questions, but I'm in the same waters as you so thought I'd join this thread.

Similarly, I received my AS results on thursday:

Maths: 100%
English Literature: 100%
Philosophy&Ethics: 98.5%
History: 84.5% (arghhhhh)
General Studies: C

Firstly, will general studies matter if applying to Oxbridge?

Secondly, I would love study PPE at Oxford but Cambridge offer philosophy and I may stand more of a chance at Cambridge as they will average my best three giving me an insanely high UMS average. Also, my GCSEs aren't amazing: 9A*s and 1B (french). They're good, but it's not 12A*s - which Oxford would love, especially for PPE.

Thirdly, how did you calculate your pA*? Have you accounted for the context of your school? I went to an average state school, 67% getting 5 or more A*-Cs or so, so I think that's reflected in the GCSE scoring thing. Atm I'm at an average sixth form college in the north of england,

So yeah sorry for not answering your questions - my first reaction is that you could have a lot more to worry about than you presently do. What course are you applying for exactly?

Christian
Original post by ocelot92
First thing first I scored in my AS levels
Bio 93%
Maths 93%
Geography 100%
Chem 84% :eek::mad::angry::mad::eek: blast!!!!

(i also scored an a in gs but thats irrelevant of the application i guess)

The trouble is for cantab my chemistry ums (which is probably the most crucial) would bring the averages down...also does cambridge take all UMSs or the top 3 i.e. bio maths geog??? I HATE U CHEMISTRY

Also i have already completed an early entry EPQ in (2 years early) and scored 50/50, would cambridge take this into account at all (because surely thats noteworthy)?

I read a FOI request last year that the median UMS of those offered was 96% (mine obviously is not that great)

So it feels that I have more of a chance (provided BMAT and ps/ref is good) in Oxford....

I scored 9A* 1A (the A was in latin if that makes a difference) at GCSE which is pA* 0.90. Which according to the oxford admissions stats website is still low as it says of those offered they had an average of 0.94 :frown:

But here is another main question in the same year I did GCSEs I did the EPQ (as ive mentioned) as well as FSMQ (A), surely this is better than a single GCSE as EPQ was marked at A2??? Would Oxford take this into account?

Some people may have got 1.00 but taken only 8 subjects or having the 11th subject as astronomy or food technology (which is crap compared to EPQ)?? :angry:

And subsequently would I have a better chance at Oxford or Cambridge - or neither?

:wink:
I really appreciate your time to read this query!
From ocelot92

just want to say, well done on geography! :biggrin: btw I think your UMS average for 3 most relevant is 90%, slightly lower but I think you will get a interview and then its up to you? ...but oxford only interview a small proportion of applicants, so you know what I mean :P

I'm not completely sure so don't take me too seriously. The very first sentence is the important bit for this post :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
GCSEs are fine for Oxford. It sounds like you've seen the graphs - plenty of people get in with 0.90.

Original post by ChristianBenson

This is the medicine forum. You would be better placed to ask in the 'are my grades good enough...' threads in the Oxford/Cambridge forums.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
GCSEs are fine for Oxford. It sounds like you've seen the graphs - plenty of people get in with 0.90.

This is the medicine forum. You would be better placed to ask in the 'are my grades good enough...' threads in the Oxford/Cambridge forums.

ok btw i guess this is a newbie question, i take it one cannot apply to oxford twice i.e. 5th option geography? or perhaps geography next year?
Reply 5
Original post by ChristianBenson
Hi

I can't answer your questions, but I'm in the same waters as you so thought I'd join this thread.

Similarly, I received my AS results on thursday:

Maths: 100%
English Literature: 100%
Philosophy&Ethics: 98.5%
History: 84.5% (arghhhhh)
General Studies: C

Firstly, will general studies matter if applying to Oxbridge?

Secondly, I would love study PPE at Oxford but Cambridge offer philosophy and I may stand more of a chance at Cambridge as they will average my best three giving me an insanely high UMS average. Also, my GCSEs aren't amazing: 9A*s and 1B (french). They're good, but it's not 12A*s - which Oxford would love, especially for PPE.

Thirdly, how did you calculate your pA*? Have you accounted for the context of your school? I went to an average state school, 67% getting 5 or more A*-Cs or so, so I think that's reflected in the GCSE scoring thing. Atm I'm at an average sixth form college in the north of england,

So yeah sorry for not answering your questions - my first reaction is that you could have a lot more to worry about than you presently do. What course are you applying for exactly?

Christian

The OP calculated his/her pA* by just taking his/her number of A*s over his/her total number of grades. This is flawed because pA* is calculated based on not only the percentage of A*s but also on the number of A*s achieved: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/timeline As you rightly said, where you studied is also taken into account.

Good luck with your application, I'm sure you'll do very well.
Reply 6
Original post by ocelot92
ok btw i guess this is a newbie question, i take it one cannot apply to oxford twice i.e. 5th option geography? or perhaps geography next year?

You get one application to either Oxford or Cambridge each year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending