The Student Room Group

Would Universities accept those with grades ABB applying before clearing and ad...?

..justment?

If Universities such as Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool etc are now offering places to applicants with ABB grades and above, what is the likelihood of them accepting you applying with ABB first time round? What if you applied with ABB and got rejected, then applied through clearing/adjustment and they accepted you then.

The reason I am asking is because I think I want to drop out of university and apply to one of these universities next year which I'm assuming will continue to have AAA-AAB requirements before results day, while I achieved A*BB in my A Levels. What's the likelihood of being rejected or being granted an unconditional by one of these universities?
Where are you currently?

You'd have to give them a good reason as to why you're dropping out, but yes, with those A-level grades and with decent results at the uni you're at now, I don't see why not.
Original post by Bear438
..justment?

If Universities such as Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool etc are now offering places to applicants with ABB grades and above, what is the likelihood of them accepting you applying with ABB first time round? What if you applied with ABB and got rejected, then applied through clearing/adjustment and they accepted you then.

The reason I am asking is because I think I want to drop out of university and apply to one of these universities next year which I'm assuming will continue to have AAA-AAB requirements before results day, while I achieved A*BB in my A Levels. What's the likelihood of being rejected or being granted an unconditional by one of these universities?

I genuinely think it is impossible tell at this point. Clearing this year has had some extraordinary courses in it for the first time and universities have been able to expand their numbers considerably. Whether they can maintain this level of expansion next year is open to question. I genuinely think it is not going to be possible to tell. I'd suggest the same policy as usually advised (by me, at any rate!) - a couple of high risk shots, a couple of comfortable ones and an emergency one.
Reply 3
Original post by paradoxicalme
Where are you currently?

You'd have to give them a good reason as to why you're dropping out, but yes, with those A-level grades and with decent results at the uni you're at now, I don't see why not.

QM.

I was actually thinking of interrupting this year, then applying through clearing next year if a course/uni is there that I want. I remember last year, several great unis had great courses up.

And are you saying you don't see why these universities wouldn't accept me first time round? (before results day).
Reply 4
why didn't you apply this year? Was your course not available? I was thinking of doing what you were but unfortunately i didn't get ABB :/ What are you going to do in your year off
Original post by Bear438
..justment?

What do you want to study... because it's not to late to switch now for some like Sheffield?

Secondly, you can't be sure that because they have expanded via clearing this year for ABB students that they will accept you in September. It depends on who else applies, if many people apply with AAA predicted they have no need to accept you if they can fill all of their spaces with a higher calibre of students. (not trying to be rude, just thinking like an admissions officer)

Also, I saw a person on here earlier who had applied to Sheffield for medicine with AAA, got rejected, but now he has actually got A*AA and they have contacted him again to make him an offer. So really.. you can't know.. also some unis like Exeter haven't taken in any extra ABB students even though they could if they wanted to. It's reaaaaly hit and miss..
Reply 6
Original post by ih094
why didn't you apply this year? Was your course not available? I was thinking of doing what you were but unfortunately i didn't get ABB :/ What are you going to do in your year off

i've been at uni a year already. Work, earn money. its funny because I've been accepted by study india and now i want to drop out, at least I'll have that under my belt!
Reply 7
Original post by i-love-coffee
What do you want to study... because it's not to late to switch now for some like Sheffield?

Secondly, you can't be sure that because they have expanded via clearing this year for ABB students that they will accept you in September. It depends on who else applies, if many people apply with AAA predicted they have no need to accept you if they can fill all of their spaces with a higher calibre of students. (not trying to be rude, just thinking like an admissions officer)

Also, I saw a person on here earlier who had applied to Sheffield for medicine with AAA, got rejected, but now he has actually got A*AA and they have contacted him again to make him an offer. So really.. you can't know.. also some unis like Exeter haven't taken in any extra ABB students even though they could if they wanted to. It's reaaaaly hit and miss..

history, I want to work and earn money first! I also only have two years left of student funding (long story). exactly what i was thinking regarding accepting those who actually meet the grades.
Original post by Bear438
history, I want to work and earn money first! I also only have two years left of student funding (long story). exactly what i was thinking regarding accepting those who actually meet the grades.

Yeah.. I think it's a big risk. Is there no way of applying, finding out that your in and then leaving your university? Or do you have to tell the university that your leaving first?
Reply 9
Original post by i-love-coffee
Yeah.. I think it's a big risk. Is there no way of applying, finding out that your in and then leaving your university? Or do you have to tell the university that your leaving first?

I don't think it's a risk at all. I mean, universities now have a wider breadth for accepting students and applications are down.

Also, I'm sure, if UCAS permitted it- I could apply to another university while being interrupted and then I could find out if I received an offer or not and then drop out.

If you can't do that, then you can always apply through clearing at the end and if my or another course appears at a uni I like I can take it, if not, I can return to QM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending