The Student Room Group

No idea what to do after poor AS results

Maths - A (264) 240 is an A
Physics - B (228) 240 is an A
Economics - C (137) 140 is a B
Psychology - B (141) 140 is a B

I understand these aren't poor results themselves but consider the following:

I was set on doing economics at university but I completely failed markets in action and got 53 UMS (a D). I have no idea what to do now. If I apply for university for economics with a C then I reckon admissions officers will just turn their nose up and turn my application into a paper aeroplane. The main problem is I reckon I could easily get an A in economics. (Not easily in a cocky way, Im sure you understand what I mean).

What should I do? Should I just drop my ideas of doing economics and apply for maths? I'm also wondering whether or not I should bother retaking some physics modules to try and get an A.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I'm really confused. I just don't know where to go from here.
Reply 1
Original post by SwndonTwn

I was set on doing economics at university but I completely failed markets in action and got 53 UMS (a D). I have no idea what to do now. If I apply for university for economics with a C then I reckon admissions officers will just turn their nose up and turn my application into a paper aeroplane. The main problem is I reckon I could easily get an A in economics. (Not easily in a cocky way, Im sure you understand what I mean).

What should I do? Should I just drop my ideas of doing economics and apply for maths? I'm also wondering whether or not I should bother retaking some physics modules to try and get an A.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I'm really confused. I just don't know where to go from here.

Hi! I also got a D in Markets in Action at AS level however I retook it and got an A - so it is possible to improve your mark greatly! I think you have a great set of results which will give you a good set of predicted grades and plenty of scope to get in to a good uni!

Regarding what to study I always say study what you want to - its a 3 year degree so make sure you enjoy the subject!

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2

You're grades aren't too bad. For economics degree you don't need AS or A2 economics. You need A-Level Maths only. Your A in Maths and B in Physics are impressive. You can resit Physics If you want to but it's not necessary as you can still achieve an A at A2, although it may take the pressure off.
Reply 3
Thanks you 2 :smile:

I know economics isn't necessary, but could they look at that and just think I'm crap? I just figured that's how they would think.

Having talked to universities, they say that economics at a level is almost pointless, and they value maths a lot more. So you're still good.

Quick Reply

Latest