The Student Room Group

Help, dilemma! Which one?? Nottingham or Oxford Brookes?

Basically, I have a place at Nottingham uni to study History of Art with English.

However, I am from the south west - and not too keen to go that far from home. Not too keen on Nottingham area either (as seems to be a very social party uni - with not much else to do in the city culture wise).

I have also just been given an offer from Oxford Brookes - to read English Lit and History of art.

Would I be silly to take up the offer from Oxford Brookes instead?

I am going to have to live here for 3 years after all. Apart from employability and reputation - I really like Brookes (location, department, people etc) and can see myself there far more than Nottingham.

Worried I am going to make the wrong decision. Any ideas?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think having cold feet is normal before moving into university, especially when going far. If you think strongly that you won't fit in/enjoy your time at nottingham don't go there, I had an offer from them but felt I wouldn't enjoy myself there, I almost picked it just because it was in the Russell Group. Like you said you will be out there for 3 years so best to go somewhere you'll enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by ElChapo
I think having cold feet is normal before moving into university, especially when going far. If you think strongly that you won't fit in/enjoy your time at nottingham don't go there, I had an offer from them but felt I wouldn't enjoy myself there, I almost picked it just because it was in the Russell Group. Like you said you will be out there for 3 years so best to go somewhere you'll enjoy.

Yeah exactly - people put so much emphasis on league of university. I want to be challenged though - and most of the courses at Oxford Brookes only needed BBC - and that was before clearing! I really want to enjoy my experience - but not throw my job prospects away!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ElChapo

Yeah exactly - people put so much emphasis on league of university.I want to be challenged though - and most of the courses at Oxford Brookes only needed BBC - and that was before clearing! I really want to enjoy my experience - but not throw my job prospects away!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by arty
Yeah exactly - people put so much emphasis on league of university.I want to be challenged though - and most of the courses at Oxford Brookes only needed BBC - and that was before clearing! I really want to enjoy my experience - but not throw my job prospects away!

Posted from TSR Mobile

People say that you will have poor job prospects studying subjects like history at low prestige universities but I don't know how true this is tbh. If you think Ox Brookes is too far a step down perhaps look at other uni's in clearing?
Reply 5
I've selected some uni's with a decent rep and in areas I think you may like doing your course in clearing. http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Course=209&Institution=S90,Y50,K24,B90,B32,S09
Reply 6
Original post by ElChapo
I've selected some uni's with a decent rep and in areas I think you may like doing your course in clearing. http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Course=209&Institution=S90,Y50,K24,B90,B32,S09

Thanks. What ones were you suggesting? - I clicked on the link - but it just took me to the clearing home page :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
While this is completely your choice and you should definitely go where you feel happiest/ most comfortable, there is a lot more to Nottingham than just a 'party' atmosphere. If you have any specific questions about Nottingham then feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you :smile: otherwise good luck with your choice!
Reply 8
Original post by arty
Thanks. What ones were you suggesting? - I clicked on the link - but it just took me to the clearing home page :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soas, York, Birmingham, Buckingham and Sussex is what I remember, make a search yourself though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by kec
While this is completely your choice and you should definitely go where you feel happiest/ most comfortable, there is a lot more to Nottingham than just a 'party' atmosphere. If you have any specific questions about Nottingham then feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you :smile: otherwise good luck with your choice!

Are you a Nottingham student? I'm worried that I won't enjoy the student, party bubble.

The whole uni just looks so big and overwhelming!
Also, for my course it is interesting to have things to do like: theatre, galleries, events etc and unlike Oxford and London - there doesn't seem to be any of that in Nottingham. Seems like it is basically just the uni as your whole life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by arty
Are you a Nottingham student? I'm worried that I won't enjoy the student, party bubble.

The whole uni just looks so big and overwhelming!
Also, for my course it is interesting to have things to do like: theatre, galleries, events etc and unlike Oxford and London - there doesn't seem to be any of that in Nottingham. Seems like it is basically just the uni as your whole life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just going into my second year now. I have to admit for the first term or so I didn't really leave the bubble as it certainly does exist (especially if you live on campus like I did). But now I feel like I've definitely started to experience the real university and city a lot more and I absolutely LOVE it there.
Obviously Notts isn't as big as somewhere as London so there isn't going to be as much but there is a fair bit to experience culture wise. University Park has it's own student run theatre (New Theatre) which is the only student-run theatre in the country. The city itself also has several other theatres including the Royal Concert Hall, Theatre Royal, Nottingham Arts Theatre, Nottingham Playhouse and others which escape me right now. But look them up, there's loads! We also have several great music venues including such as Rock City and the Bodega which have had some pretty decent gigs on this year.
The Lake Side Arts Centre (I'm pretty sure it's called that) is on campus and the only other one I've had experience with is the Nottingham Contemporary, but then again I haven't really put that much effort into looking for other galleries.
The campus itself is such a lovely place to be (so gutted to be moving off campus :frown:) and just across the road is Wollaton Hall, which is well worth a look around. Oh and seeing as it's Nottingham I feel like I should make some form of obligatory statement about Robin Hood and all that!
I don't know how helpful this is to you but, like I said, if you have anything more specific then ask away!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by kec
Just going into my second year now. I have to admit for the first term or so I didn't really leave the bubble as it certainly does exist (especially if you live on campus like I did). But now I feel like I've definitely started to experience the real university and city a lot more and I absolutely LOVE it there.
Obviously Notts isn't as big as somewhere as London so there isn't going to be as much but there is a fair bit to experience culture wise. University Park has it's own student run theatre (New Theatre) which is the only student-run theatre in the country. The city itself also has several other theatres including the Royal Concert Hall, Theatre Royal, Nottingham Arts Theatre, Nottingham Playhouse and others which escape me right now. But look them up, there's loads! We also have several great music venues including such as Rock City and the Bodega which have had some pretty decent gigs on this year.
The Lake Side Arts Centre (I'm pretty sure it's called that) is on campus and the only other one I've had experience with is the Nottingham Contemporary, but then again I haven't really put that much effort into looking for other galleries.
The campus itself is such a lovely place to be (so gutted to be moving off campus :frown:) and just across the road is Wollaton Hall, which is well worth a look around. Oh and seeing as it's Nottingham I feel like I should make some form of obligatory statement about Robin Hood and all that!
I don't know how helpful this is to you but, like I said, if you have anything more specific then ask away!

Hahah you make a good point about the theatre etc. I come from a small city, Exeter - which has multiple theatres and venues etc and some contemporary galleries - but nothing really worth visiting! It's a bit of a sh*thole and a pix the city unless I need to go shopping!

What is Nottingham like? Is it quite rural where/nr the uni is? I'm a country bumpkin! I live in the middle of nowhere, on a farm (although I did live in London last year for a year)!

How was your experience of halls? I've heard people say there is no space - because you just have a box room and then the dining hall - no living area?

When you say you spent the whole of the first time in the bubble, did you not need To go off campus at all?

Is it easy to get to Notts station? Is public transport good?

Hahah please persuade me! I really want to end up at Nottingham - but tempted by the closer London and Oxford.

...also where are all the events and freshers nights held? Within a short walk from halls on campus? Or in the city ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Nottingham is a great place to live! It was the city that really influenced my decision to study there.

The Uni Park campus isn't "rural", but it's out of the city and very green. If you want to get more rural, you can always have a walk to Wollaton Hall (between Uni Park and Jubilee campus) or get the hopper bus (free buses that run between all the campuses) up to Sutton Bonnington! I've avoided anywhere too "rural" (grew up in the Peak District and couldn't wait to get away - I'm a city person!) but know it's not too far to get to the countryside!

I found halls to be great! There are different halls - some have communal kitchen/living areas, but I'm pretty sure all the catered halls have common rooms and/or bars. If you ask on the Nottingham section, I'm sure someone can say which halls have the best ones!

I spend a lot of time (outside of uni stuff) off-campus. Lots happening in Nottingham - I'm really into live music and there's always loads on! There's a couple of theatres and lots of alternative music/comedy/poetry/art happening in the city. It's not just in the city centre either, Beeston has a lot of stuff happening too, and is quieter than the city centre (not sure about other areas, but I'm sure someone else could tell you if you wanted to know about Lenton or other areas!)

Notts station is actually closed at the moment! It's re-opening at the end of August and should be lovely! Notts is pretty easy to get around. From the city centre, you can get the 34 bus right on to University park for £1 (with student card) there's also the 28 (I think...) Also £1 for students to Jubilee. Then there are free hopper buses regularly - most go from Uni park to another campus and back. Most of the buses have screens in them which tell you where the next stop will be, so you're unlikely to get lost!
Reply 13
Original post by arty
Hahah you make a good point about the theatre etc. I come from a small city, Exeter - which has multiple theatres and venues etc and some contemporary galleries - but nothing really worth visiting! It's a bit of a sh*thole and a pix the city unless I need to go shopping!

What is Nottingham like? Is it quite rural where/nr the uni is? I'm a country bumpkin! I live in the middle of nowhere, on a farm (although I did live in London last year for a year)!

How was your experience of halls? I've heard people say there is no space - because you just have a box room and then the dining hall - no living area?

When you say you spent the whole of the first time in the bubble, did you not need To go off campus at all?

Is it easy to get to Notts station? Is public transport good?

Hahah please persuade me! I really want to end up at Nottingham - but tempted by the closer London and Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like the city itself. It isn't huge (I come from Manchester which is a fair bit bigger) but hasn't absolutely everything you need I reckon. Also I've seen a couple of people saying that they don't like the way the city looks but personally I love the mix of buildings; I think the jumble of old and new is lovely (but maybe that's the history geek in me!)
University Park has loads of open space and isn't too far from the country. We have an agricultural campus called Sutton Bonnington which might be interesting to you? One of my best friends is a Suffolk farmer and he seems more than content!
I'm not gonna lie, you don't have a huge amount of space, but then again halls are halls! Personally I loved my time in halls, especially cos I was staying on University Park. Halls really encourage you to get to know people you would never normally meet or get to know (my farmer friend being the perfect example of this!) The amount of space you have outside your room varies depending on which halls you are in and whether you decide to go catered/non-catered. I stayed in a catered hall which had a JCR with a TV with sky and a dvd player and a games room as well as a big dining room and sofa space on most floors. Some of the other halls have a library and other things. Unfortunately I haven't really spent any time in any other kinds of accommodation so I'm not much help there.
Personally I think the transport is pretty good. You can get from campus to the city for a pound, which isn't bad at all. There's the city train station and coach station and a train station in Beeston, which is a town near the west entrance of the campus.
Most of the freshers' events are in the city, although there is also a lot of stuff on campus. We also went into the city to explore/shop quite a bit. I think the reason I stayed in the bubble for so long is there IS a lot of stuff to try on campus (sports, societies, bars) and I was more concerned at that point with meeting people than exploring the city because I had 3 years for that! Also, while I am quite into the other side of uni life I did enjoy a lot of the week one events and stereotypical fresher's events at night. However there is sooo much choice, so if you're not into drinking and going out and stuff then don't worry!
I'm not gonna lie I'm definitely biased towards Nottingham and really can't see myself anywhere else, but then I never really could! As much as I'm selling Nottingham here please do consider where you think you will be happiest, because you're definitely going to do better if you feel content somewhere.
Hope all my ramblings have been useful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by kec
I really like the city itself. It isn't huge (I come from Manchester which is a fair bit bigger) but hasn't absolutely everything you need I reckon. Also I've seen a couple of people saying that they don't like the way the city looks but personally I love the mix of buildings; I think the jumble of old and new is lovely (but maybe that's the history geek in me!)
University Park has loads of open space and isn't too far from the country. We have an agricultural campus called Sutton Bonnington which might be interesting to you? One of my best friends is a Suffolk farmer and he seems more than content!
I'm not gonna lie, you don't have a huge amount of space, but then again halls are halls! Personally I loved my time in halls, especially cos I was staying on University Park. Halls really encourage you to get to know people you would never normally meet or get to know (my farmer friend being the perfect example of this!) The amount of space you have outside your room varies depending on which halls you are in and whether you decide to go catered/non-catered. I stayed in a catered hall which had a JCR with a TV with sky and a dvd player and a games room as well as a big dining room and sofa space on most floors. Some of the other halls have a library and other things. Unfortunately I haven't really spent any time in any other kinds of accommodation so I'm not much help there.
Personally I think the transport is pretty good. You can get from campus to the city for a pound, which isn't bad at all. There's the city train station and coach station and a train station in Beeston, which is a town near the west entrance of the campus.
Most of the freshers' events are in the city, although there is also a lot of stuff on campus. We also went into the city to explore/shop quite a bit. I think the reason I stayed in the bubble for so long is there IS a lot of stuff to try on campus (sports, societies, bars) and I was more concerned at that point with meeting people than exploring the city because I had 3 years for that! Also, while I am quite into the other side of uni life I did enjoy a lot of the week one events and stereotypical fresher's events at night. However there is sooo much choice, so if you're not into drinking and going out and stuff then don't worry!
I'm not gonna lie I'm definitely biased towards Nottingham and really can't see myself anywhere else, but then I never really could! As much as I'm selling Nottingham here please do consider where you think you will be happiest, because you're definitely going to do better if you feel content somewhere.
Hope all my ramblings have been useful :smile:

It is useful! The campus seems very big. My lectures are based in the humanities building - by the west entrance.
What subject do you do & where are you based? Do you find that you spend most of your study in time in that building and the lib or do you spend a lot of time in another bit? Does everyone have to go to the central bit a lot?
Do many people cycle around?

Where are the freshers city events? In the centre of Nottingham or in Lenton? Do you mean nights out and clubs etc? Are there any socials on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by arty
It is useful! The campus seems very big. My lectures are based in the humanities building - by the west entrance.
What subject do you do & where are you based? Do you find that you spend most of your study in time in that building and the lib or do you spend a lot of time in another bit? Does everyone have to go to the central bit a lot?
Do many people cycle around?

Where are the freshers city events? In the centre of Nottingham or in Lenton? Do you mean nights out and clubs etc? Are there any socials on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I'm glad! The campus isn't too big at all in my opinion. I lived right next to the west entrance and some of my lectures were in physics on the other side of campus, and that took me about 20 minutes at a regular pace (although i've done it in well under 15 many times). I'm doing Ancient History and History so I'm also in Humanities and Lenton Grove (History), which is next door. I really like the humanities building as it's all brand new.

I only actually had 1/6 seminars in humanities and 2/6 in history. The best thing about seminars though is that, although all lectures are scheduled, I got to choose which seminar time/location was most convenient for me from a choice of about 8 for each module. I even managed to get one in my own halls. The lectures themselves are spread out across the campus depending on the module. If I'm correct then I think english is in the Trent building, so I'm guessing some of your's will be in there.

I found it really easy to get to know the campus, and that's coming from someone who's sense of direction is pathetic at best. Quite a lot of people do cycle, but it's VERY hilly on campus so most people I know prefer not to.

Personally most of the events that I went to during freshers' were in the city, club nights and stuff like that. But that's just what I'm into. I know there were lots of things for people who aren't into stuff like that, such as pub quizzes, film screenings and other non-drinking based events. However some of the nights were a laugh, and getting dressed up in stupid costumes with people definitely helped us to bond! I don't really know of anything happening in Lenton during freshers' (someone might be able to correct me on this). Most second and third years choose to live in Lenton though. I'd definitely recommend joining some freshers' groups on facebook as I'm guessing they'll have more info on the variety of events
Reply 16
Original post by arty
Basically, I have a place at Nottingham uni to study History of Art with English.

However, I am from the south west - and not too keen to go that far from home. Not too keen on Nottingham area either (as seems to be a very social party uni - with not much else to do in the city culture wise).

I have also just been given an offer from Oxford Brookes - to read English Lit and History of art.

Would I be silly to take up the offer from Oxford Brookes instead?

I am going to have to live here for 3 years after all. Apart from employability and reputation - I really like Brookes (location, department, people etc) and can see myself there far more than Nottingham.

Worried I am going to make the wrong decision. Any ideas?

I'm from the SW as well (west somerset) and I am going to Nottingham for Maths. For me its a nice distance from home, because it's not too close but not too far. I like the fact that although its a city, it doesn't have the busy feel like bigger cities such as London or Birmingham, it's quite relaxed and open which is similar to the area that I live. This also I feel applies to the campus, in that it is so open and spaced out. Both Nottingham and Oxford are both nice places to be fair, I suppose it depends on what you want.

I haven't checked the league tables, but I would guess Nottingham possibly has slightly higher graduate prospects as it is an internationally renowned place. For me personally I like that because it can open more doors in the future, but I guess whatever floats your boat.
Reply 17
Original post by kec
Ah I'm glad! The campus isn't too big at all in my opinion. I lived right next to the west entrance and some of my lectures were in physics on the other side of campus, and that took me about 20 minutes at a regular pace (although i've done it in well under 15 many times). I'm doing Ancient History and History so I'm also in Humanities and Lenton Grove (History), which is next door. I really like the humanities building as it's all brand new.

I only actually had 1/6 seminars in humanities and 2/6 in history. The best thing about seminars though is that, although all lectures are scheduled, I got to choose which seminar time/location was most convenient for me from a choice of about 8 for each module. I even managed to get one in my own halls. The lectures themselves are spread out across the campus depending on the module. If I'm correct then I think english is in the Trent building, so I'm guessing some of your's will be in there.

I found it really easy to get to know the campus, and that's coming from someone who's sense of direction is pathetic at best. Quite a lot of people do cycle, but it's VERY hilly on campus so most people I know prefer not to.

Personally most of the events that I went to during freshers' were in the city, club nights and stuff like that. But that's just what I'm into. I know there were lots of things for people who aren't into stuff like that, such as pub quizzes, film screenings and other non-drinking based events. However some of the nights were a laugh, and getting dressed up in stupid costumes with people definitely helped us to bond! I don't really know of anything happening in Lenton during freshers' (someone might be able to correct me on this). Most second and third years choose to live in Lenton though. I'd definitely recommend joining some freshers' groups on facebook as I'm guessing they'll have more info on the variety of events

So for the city events, everyone gets the bus into the city centre? Or taxi? Does it take long?
Reply 18
Original post by arty
So for the city events, everyone gets the bus into the city centre? Or taxi? Does it take long?

If you're in halls most of the freshers' events in the city actually have buses provided to the event and then buses coming back every half an hour or so, which was sooo convenient! the best thing I found was that, unlike a lot of unis, we didn't have to buy a wristband for the week and instead could buy tickets for individual events, so we could pick and choose. Now we mostly get the bus on the way out. This took about 20 mins maybe on the 36 (£1) from the west entrance, which is on the opposite side of campus from the city. Then we'd get a taxi back. Normally people get black cabs on the way back and the drivers normally charged £2/£2.50 per person
Reply 19
Original post by kec
If you're in halls most of the freshers' events in the city actually have buses provided to the event and then buses coming back every half an hour or so, which was sooo convenient! the best thing I found was that, unlike a lot of unis, we didn't have to buy a wristband for the week and instead could buy tickets for individual events, so we could pick and choose. Now we mostly get the bus on the way out. This took about 20 mins maybe on the 36 (£1) from the west entrance, which is on the opposite side of campus from the city. Then we'd get a taxi back. Normally people get black cabs on the way back and the drivers normally charged £2/£2.50 per person

what like London black cabs!? Does Nottingham have taxis bombing around you can grab like London!?

Also, have you decided to live on the Beeston side in your second year ? Is that the most convenient place for humanities people to live?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending