The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mia O'Neil
Hiya!
I've got a question about the sports membership.. do you have to buy one if you just want to join a club like lacrosse or sth or do you only need this membership for the gym and exercise classes?
thanks =)

It depends what facilities the club uses for training. In the case of lacrosse, I suspect they just use the outdoor pitches, so you need to pay a sports union membership and lacrosse membership only. Some teams that use outdoor pitches also have gym sessions/ indoor training, so a facilities membership is needed as well.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 81
Original post by LJMac_SportSci
It depends what facilities the club uses for training. In the case of lacrosse, I suspect they just use the outdoor pitches, so you need to pay a sports union membership and lacrosse membership only. Some teams that use outdoor pitches also have gym sessions/ indoor training, so a facilities membership is needed as well.

thanks a lot!
can i still buy the memberships once i know which clubs i want to join, so after the semester's started? or is it better to purchase everything now?
Reply 82
Original post by Mia O'Neil
thanks a lot!
can i still buy the memberships once i know which clubs i want to join, so after the semester's started? or is it better to purchase everything now?

You can buy whenever you like. The Give it a go week is a good time to try out a few societies/sports and see what you like before commit to paying membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stirling2014
You can buy whenever you like. The Give it a go week is a good time to try out a few societies/sports and see what you like before commit to paying membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed... I would only pay now, if you know for sure you're going to join. It's easy to want to get involved in everything and pay memberships for loads of clubs then struggle to fit everything in.

You can pay for these kind of things once you get here (although it is nice to get these big one-off payents out of the way).
Reply 84
I have a question about lecture timings. I have just chosen my modules and have generated my timetable accordingly, but I have two compulsory tutorials right next to each other. One is in Pathfoot and one is in Cottrell, and one finishes at eleven while the other starts at eleven. Do lectures etc finish exactly on time or do they finish five minutes before the time stated?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Pippin96
I have a question about lecture timings. I have just chosen my modules and have generated my timetable accordingly, but I have two compulsory tutorials right next to each other. One is in Pathfoot and one is in Cottrell, and one finishes at eleven while the other starts at eleven. Do lectures etc finish exactly on time or do they finish five minutes before the time stated?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Classes start at 5 past and finish at 5 to.
I have another question about timetable. I have created the timetable but i can only see lectures and no Seminar/Tutorial. Is that on a separate timetable?
Original post by ryanomara2012
I have another question about timetable. I have created the timetable but i can only see lectures and no Seminar/Tutorial. Is that on a separate timetable?

You'll be able to find the options for seminars etc. that you can choose for your modules on this link:
http://www.aro.stir.ac.uk/academic/timetables/timetables-current-semester.php
Reply 88
You'll be able to find the options for seminars etc. that you can choose for your modules on this link:
http://www.aro.stir.ac.uk/academic/timetables/timetables-current-semester.php

So those seminars on the link say "final autumn teaching table 2013". Does that mean they are the definite seminars so I can in theory right now create my full timetable? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lmhenry1
So those seminars on the link say "final autumn teaching table 2013". Does that mean they are the definite seminars so I can in theory right now create my full timetable? Thanks :smile:

Yeah, that's right. But, one thing to be aware of is that if you're not quick enough, when the 'sign up' opens, you may miss out on your first choice seminar time slot. Whenever I've made up my timetable, in the past, I always include 2 or 3 possible seminar times, until I've actually signed up.
Reply 90
Yeah, that's right. But, one thing to be aware of is that if you're not quick enough, when the 'sign up' opens, you may miss out on your first choice seminar time slot. Whenever I've made up my timetable, in the past, I always include 2 or 3 possible seminar times, until I've actually signed up.

When does the sign up actually open? I've made up my timetable but I don't have much choice between seminar times so I need to get in there pretty quick by the sounds of it!!

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Pippin96
When does the sign up actually open? I've made up my timetable but I don't have much choice between seminar times so I need to get in there pretty quick by the sounds of it!!

Thanks for your help.

I think it is during the first week of semester!
Original post by BooksOfWonder
I think it is during the first week of semester!

It'll be after the first lecture / introductory meeting, for that particular module.
I want to buy this sports membership thing. I can get it online before i go but i want to know what form it comes in. Is it a card that will be posted to me or it comes with my student ID? I just don't want to buy it only to find out it has been posted to my home address

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James Fitzsimons
I want to buy this sports membership thing. I can get it online before i go but i want to know what form it comes in. Is it a card that will be posted to me or it comes with my student ID? I just don't want to buy it only to find out it has been posted to my home address

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your student ID card doubles as your membership card, and you pick it up during freshers week. If you're also getting a sports union membership that's a different card, but you pick that one up too.
It'll be after the first lecture / introductory meeting, for that particular module.

So if I don't have anything in Week 1, it will open after the first lecture on Week 2?
Do the f-passes get you free entry to the events or is discounted.
Original post by BooksOfWonder
So if I don't have anything in Week 1, it will open after the first lecture on Week 2?

I would think so, yes. But you'll get access to Succeed (the online module manager) on Monday 9th, or there about; just keep checking that, in case there's an announcement about signing up earlier.

The F-pass itself costs £40 - that price includes access to all events (+ queue jump) and a highly-sought-after Freshers Week t-shirt. To clarify, an F-pass makes you a saving of about 50% compared to buying individual tickets for every event - and once you've paid your £40 that's you sorted, no further payments needed.
Reply 99

The F-pass itself costs £40 - that price includes access to all events (+ queue jump) and a highly-sought-after Freshers Week t-shirt. To clarify, an F-pass makes you a saving of about 50% compared to buying individual tickets for every event - and once you've paid your £40 that's you sorted, no further payments needed.

The F-Pass is worth the money even if only to save the hassle of queuing for tickets, I don't deny that but in no way is the Freshers t-shirt highly sought after...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending