The Student Room Group

Am I Being unrealistic?

Hey guys, I'm in my AS year and I just received my results, C in Media, C in English Literature and D in Geography. This was slightly lower than I was expecting as I was hoping for B in English and a C in Geography. The University I wanted to attend next year was Swansea to study English Literature and American Studies which requires 'BBC'.

Yet I feel as though I will achieve CCC, BCC at a push, do you think I could still make it into Swansea? I hear that most uni's still accept people and I don't believe that my course is particularily competitive as the course is currently in clearing?

Any guidance would be appreciated! :]
Reply 1
Original post by JamesRobbins8
Hey guys, I'm in my AS year and I just received my results, C in Media, C in English Literature and D in Geography. This was slightly lower than I was expecting as I was hoping for B in English and a C in Geography. The University I wanted to attend next year was Swansea to study English Literature and American Studies which requires 'BBC'.

Yet I feel as though I will achieve CCC, BCC at a push, do you think I could still make it into Swansea? I hear that most uni's still accept people and I don't believe that my course is particularily competitive as the course is currently in clearing?

Hello!
With resits, hard work and determination you can get BBC :3 I know people who have turned D's into A's so don't worry!
Even if you do get lower grades like you said there is a chance that you could get in. Many of my friends got into uni with lower grades. For example, a friend got into Audiology which required BBB with only CCD. She didn't go through clearing as they accepted her straight away! It really depends on the situation. Universities really take into consideration of your personal statement so I'm sure if you show your passion of English Lit you will get an offer :3
Although, I wouldn't take my chances and would also apply for some universities which require slightly lower entry requirements as well as applying to Swansea!
But do try and achieve BBC. It is achievable with your current grades even without resits! But as A2 is much harder I would advice a few resits! GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

Aside from improving your grades, a well written personal statement could definitely help your chances.
Reply 3
Is the fact that the course is in clearing this year an indication that it is potentially unpopular, so the grades are generally lowered?

I heard that uni's usually say they expect more than they actually require to weed away certain people.
Reply 4
Sometimes universities will put courses into clearing to try and attract those with high grades who were rejected from larger universities. It's not really indicative of popularity at all, sadly.
Reply 5

i know you're probably totally freaking out cause you don't think you'll have the right grades for the university you want. However, this might not be the case. I needed a certain amount of ucas points for my course which was equivalent to 3 of the same grade. i bombed my last exams and ended up doing a grade lower than they wanted in all of my subjects and i still got accepted. So don't freak you might still have a chance.
Reply 6
Original post by Wizkidani
Hello!
With resits, hard work and determination you can get BBC :3 I know people who have turned D's into A's so don't worry!
Even if you do get lower grades like you said there is a chance that you could get in. Many of my friends got into uni with lower grades. For example, a friend got into Audiology which required BBB with only CCD. She didn't go through clearing as they accepted her straight away! It really depends on the situation. Universities really take into consideration of your personal statement so I'm sure if you show your passion of English Lit you will get an offer :3
Although, I wouldn't take my chances and would also apply for some universities which require slightly lower entry requirements as well as applying to Swansea!
But do try and achieve BBC. It is achievable with your current grades even without resits! But as A2 is much harder I would advice a few resits! GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

Its very possible indeed. A girl at my college went from getting 3 B's at AS to getting 3 A*'s at A2! Just work hard and you'll be fine!
Reply 7
Is the fact that the course is in clearing this year an indication that it is potentially unpopular, so the grades are generally lowered?

I heard that uni's usually say they expect more than they actually require to weed away certain people.

To be honest, a lot of courses are in clearing in a lot of different universities at the moment :/ Plus things might be different next year so I wouldn't gamble on it :/
For example, a friend got into Audiology which required BBB with only CCD. She didn't go through clearing as they accepted her straight away! It really depends on the situation

Hi!
Just wanted to ask, which uni accepted your friend straight away? And what were her predicted grades?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending